Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

I just want the Canadians to get a fair chance and in my opinion they haven't in the last couple of seasons especially when you see the players getting minutes ahead of them! You could see the chemistry tonight amongst the young Canucks, to me this is way more exciting than watching the same old underperforming journeymen eating up minutes! It seems the media team is coming around to this now that the season is toast!

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

JMR was good but I’d still like to see more. Is he not that fast? I only watched the second half but he didn’t seem eager to take on players. He made some good decisions out there but I’d like to see a little more confidence/aggressiveness. 

It is funny, I thought the same thing as I watched him. You think of a guy like Tajon who has the confidence to run at guys.  But then I remember that Tajon is 22 and JMR only turned 17 four months ago.  Nelson also seems more keen to take guys on - but again, he is 19.  Based on what we saw tonight, I think JMR’s overall play and skill level is just fine.  Hopefully he continues to get time.  

38 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

JMR was good but I’d still like to see more. Is he not that fast? I only watched the second half but he didn’t seem eager to take on players. He made some good decisions out there but I’d like to see a little more confidence/aggressiveness. 

Weird how it's completely fine when other people write this, but when I do it's an affront to Canadian soccer and a defence of TFC management.

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Un provoked mentions.......oh my where are my pearls???   

You said you were "just trying to even things up" two posts after I praised JMR for his play. I'm more confused than anything, but keep up the good fight I guess?

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is funny, I thought the same thing as I watched him. You think of a guy like Tajon who has the confidence to run at guys.  But then I remember that Tajon is 22 and JMR only turned 17 four months ago.  Nelson also seems more keen to take guys on - but again, he is 19.  Based on what we saw tonight, I think JMR’s overall play and skill level is just fine.  Hopefully he continues to get time.  

See, I kinda saw the opposite.  He doesn’t have north/south speed like Tajon.  He never will obviously.  I saw enough in terms of quickness on the ball 1 v 1 where he separates himself with skill and moves.  I think when he gets a bit stronger and mature, he’ll have the ability to walk guys with his soccer smarts.  Caldwell’s comparison to Fabregas was a great example.  

8 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

See, I kinda saw the opposite.  He doesn’t have north/south speed like Tajon.  He never will obviously.  I saw enough in terms of quickness on the ball 1 v 1 where he separates himself with skill and moves.  I think when he gets a bit stronger and mature, he’ll have the ability to walk guys with his soccer smarts.  Caldwell’s comparison to Fabregas was a great example.  

Yeah, I want trying to compare his style to Tajon - it was more of a comparison re the willingness to attack players directly.   That just isn’t about speed, which I agree doesn’t seem like something he naturally has in abundance.  

11 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I want trying to compare his style to Tajon - it was more of a comparison re the willingness to attack players directly.   That just isn’t about speed, which I agree doesn’t seem like something he naturally has in abundance.  

Maybe JMR doesn't need to take players on?  If he can make it rain with pinpoint crosses, which I seem to think he might, that might be good enough for him to be an important player in the future.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Maybe JMR doesn't need to take players on?  If he can make it rain with pinpoint crosses, which I seem to think he might, that might be good enough for him to be an important player in the future.

It is a pretty useful attribute in a wide player though.   Look at our guys who are having an impact- Davies, Buchanan, Laryea - those guys can all get by/around defenders.  They tend to do it with speed, but they also use their skills to open up space etc.  Not all effective wingers are speedsters, but they do need to be able to move around defenders.   Guys like Robben and Ribbery weren’t necessarily the fastest guys on the field but they could still turn you inside out to get a shot off or a cross.  I think JMR needs to develop that side of things because last night he seemed to turn back most of the time rather than trying to get around his guy.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

Quite remarkable that a string of games/minutes has allowed players to settle into the squad.  Funny how that works. 

Due to injury, Priso was given a string of games and looked quite good.  Due to injury, Shaff was given a string of games and looked quite good.  Finally JMR is getting some time and showing what he can do.  Funny that from all the young Canadians on TFC to be given a few games to adjust, have all successfully taken the opportunity.  It would be nice to see Okello, Nelson & Peruzza get a few games in a row to settle in.  All 3 of those players have been put in odd games and then they don't see the field for a few weeks and then another random appearance before back to the bench.  Okello has been starting to get some minutes but he's going to need more time and more effort.  Today, I thought Nelson (aside from a few poor touches) looked relatively lively and good.  Nsleon definitely showed that he has skill there.  We just haven't seen enough from Peruzza in regards to minutes but I could almost guarantee you that if you gave Peruzza both Dwyer & Mullins total minutes in this season, that he is going to have more than 0 goals.

That’s not accurate regarding Priso. He’s received some minutes from the time he signed with the first team very late last year. This year he’s largely  been a victim of instability in the coaching spot and injury. When he finally started to get a string of starts, it began after Bradley had a shit half of football and Perez subbed him in at half. Kept riding the hot hand every game thereafter until the injury. 

JMR looks like he has potential and I think the club has done okay here. I am hopeful for Peruzza and think he deserves more of a chance. 

I do not share the your optimism for Okello or Nelson. Serious work required there if either of them is going to make it. Neither played well last night, let’s not kid ourselves.

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

This might not be the most analytic perspective on things that you're all looking for, but IMO three guys that everyone can agree are questionable at best - Zavaleta, Dwyer, and Mullins (2227 mins) - should not have more mins than Priso, Okello, Singh, JMR, Nelson, Singh, Perruza, and Dunn (1974).

We've never been asking for sacrificing logical management of the team at the expense of development. There have been plenty of garbage minutes this season to go around without making it overkill to play the kids.

Throw in Endoh and DeLeon and that is another 1015 minutes TFC will never get back.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

It’s weird because he was always described as a guy with lightning pace. Even at the USL level he doesn’t seem particularly speedy to me. I wonder if his future might be in a more central role?

From my early limited viewings I never saw him as a pacy guy, but a more cerebral player... I wonder if those descriptions were lazy scouting (young black winger must mean pacy, right?)

He did show speed on his tackle in the box saving a scoring chance the game before last. As has been said I think he reads the game well. Instead of being a one trick pony with pace (which we see a lot of) he seems more technical. Picks his spots more. I think the pace is there and he will continue to get stronger as he approaches 18/19.

He looked gassed at 60 minutes and isn't really match fit do to the lack of game time. You can only get so much with training. If he continues to get more games maybe we will see the display of speed.

But I sort of appreciate he doesn't just hoof the ball past the defender and just use pure pace. Way more to his game then that it appears. 

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

He did show speed on his tackle in the box saving a scoring chance the game before last. As has been said I think he reads the game well. Instead of being a one trick pony with pace (which we see a lot of) he seems more technical. Picks his spots more. I think the pace is there and he will continue to get stronger as he approaches 18/19.

He looked gassed at 60 minutes and isn't really match fit do to the lack of game time. You can only get so much with training. If he continues to get more games maybe we will see the display of speed.

But I sort of appreciate he doesn't just hoof the ball past the defender and just use pure pace. Way more to his game then that it appears. 

I think he's really clever. He did this one move on the right wing in the first half where he faked left then went right. It wasn't a step over or anything, just a really good body feint and cut. But I remember thinking "Woah, I don't see people move like that." I can't describe it very well, but the way he moved and the disguise he put on it was unique looking.

ETA: He did it against Brek Shea so can't really tell if it was actually a good move or not...

13 hours ago, El Diego said:

I think he's really clever. He did this one move on the right wing in the first half where he faked left then went right. It wasn't a step over or anything, just a really good body feint and cut. But I remember thinking "Woah, I don't see people move like that." I can't describe it very well, but the way he moved and the disguise he put on it was unique looking.

ETA: He did it against Brek Shea so can't really tell if it was actually a good move or not...

From the highlights, he just looks a player.  You can tell he has the x factor.  To me, he is kinda like Tabla when he was his age.  You just could see he had talent and its why some on here (including me) had Tabla ahead of Davies at that age (and obviously, what Barca saw as well).  Hopefully Rutty has his head screwed on right like Davies though.

Through this small sample size, JMR seems to have potential. I think he can learn a lot form guys like Tajon and Phonzie but there does appear to be a young player with some talent. A few things that I believe he needs to work on is his confidence (which has already improved a bit) his pace and his strength on/off the ball. 

He is certainly not the fastest guy around but his ability to get around players could give him a massive advantage if he can develop this some more. And... he can actually make a pretty decent cross which I find many outside mids/wingers find difficult to do.

An excerpt from,

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/youngster-marshall-rutty-shines-for-tfc-in-a-3-0-loss-to-inter-miami

“I thought he was terrific,” TFC coach Javier Perez said of Marshall-Rutty, who has reportedly already sparked interest from some of the top European clubs including both Manchester teams as well as Bayern Munich and Porto. “It’s no surprise for me. I think it was just the right time for him. He’s so young and he’s so talented. Obviously towards the end he was tired and we had to give him a little bit of rest.”

I don’t know if that reported interest is just a remnant of the hype cycle that we all knew about a year or two ago, but I would love to see JMR move as soon as he can.  I know lots of players benefit from playing with a first team in a lower league, but given the recent trends with TFC’s young guys, I think in this case I would rather JMR move into a system where he can get brought up through the ranks and integrated into an environment that is built to develop players.  He may have gotten a start last game, but that doesn’t change the fact that he has less than 90 minutes of playing time a couple of weeks ago, and his recent appearances have only come with TFC now out of any meaningful MLS competition.  I would rather him start new somewhere else than risk another year in limbo with a few teaser appearances next year.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know if that reported interest is just a remnant of the hype cycle that we all knew about a year or two ago, but I would love to see JMR move as soon as he can.  I know lots of players benefit from playing with a first team in a lower league, but given the recent trends with TFC’s young guys, I think in this case I would rather JMR move into a system where he can get brought up through the ranks and integrated into an environment that is built to develop players.  He may have gotten a start last game, but that doesn’t change the fact that he has less than 90 minutes of playing time a couple of weeks ago, and his recent appearances have only come with TFC now out of any meaningful MLS competition.  I would rather him start new somewhere else than risk another year in limbo with a few teaser appearances next year.  

Fair points, I do however think he will be a starter next year and I see no reason why he shouldn’t start every game until the end of the season now. The reality is that a year from now he will have been sold to a big club if all goes well, he can play, the rest will follow.

there’s a rush to get him out of TFC, but he’s not going to be a guy who can play in the EPL at 18/19, so a buy with a loan back is most likely, he will be very very good, but he won’t be that until he physically matures and that will take time.

Edited by Dominic94

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Fair points, I do however think he will be a starter next year and I see no reason why he shouldn’t start every game until the end of the season now. The reality is that a year from now he will have been sold to a big club if all goes well, he can play, the rest will follow.

there’s a rush to get him out of TFC, but he’s not going to be a guy who can play in the EPL at 18/19, so a buy with a loan back is most likely, he will be very very good, but he won’t be that until he physically matures and that will take time.

I am not as optimistic that TFC include him as a starter next year.  It might happen but that is a pretty huge shift from giving him less than 90 minutes over the first 25+ games of the season.  And that isn’t shitting on TFC - it is just looking at the facts.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not as optimistic that TFC include him as a starter next year.  It might happen but that is a pretty huge shift from giving him less than 90 minutes over the first 25+ games of the season.  And that isn’t shitting on TFC - it is just looking at the facts.  

Fair, Perez says he’s one of their best 11, Will he stand by that and play him ?