Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not as optimistic that TFC include him as a starter next year.  It might happen but that is a pretty huge shift from giving him less than 90 minutes over the first 25+ games of the season.  And that isn’t shitting on TFC - it is just looking at the facts.  

Honestly, I would be happy with a few starts, but a lot more consistent minutes off the bench.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Honestly, I would be happy with a few starts, but a lot more consistent minutes off the bench.

It would be slow progress - and realistically it might be appropriate -but I am still hoping to see more from him (and a lot more of him).  I would rather he play a full season on loan somewhere else than given mainly (and likely scattered) sub minutes at TFC).  

Happy to be wrong about this one if TFC give him a lot of quality minutes next year.  

I don't think TFC are in the business of developing and selling young talent.  If the players are good, they want to keep them.  I'm thinking this picture of TFC playing young Canadians over veteran players just to move them on to greener pastures is a pipe dream.  The accountants might like it, but it's not going to help the organization win any hardware, and that has been the corporate mantra ever since Leiweke restructured the place.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, dyslexic nam said:

It is a pretty useful attribute in a wide player though.   Look at our guys who are having an impact- Davies, Buchanan, Laryea - those guys can all get by/around defenders.  They tend to do it with speed, but they also use their skills to open up space etc.  Not all effective wingers are speedsters, but they do need to be able to move around defenders.   Guys like Robben and Ribbery weren’t necessarily the fastest guys on the field but they could still turn you inside out to get a shot off or a cross.  I think JMR needs to develop that side of things because last night he seemed to turn back most of the time rather than trying to get around his guy.  

image.jpeg.eaa190f6f055b0f1dc3ff2d29f2a5a23.jpeg

On 10/23/2021 at 11:45 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Ah.  For some reason I thought he was tricky but not overly fast.  

To your defense, Robben became a more positional player towards the end of his Bayern days and his overall game was so refined in maturity that he rarely had to rely on his speed to be effective. However, like @AvroArrow mentioned, by utilizing his quickness and agility, which I think was his biggest strength next to his top speed, cutting from left to right, you knew it was coming but nothing could be done to stop it.  

I know people are saying JMR has a high soccer IQ, but he really needs to develop his ability to get past a defender in one on one situations.  Changing directions back and forth a few times generally isn’t enough to get by even just a competent defender so it certainly won’t work at higher levels.   He may not be pacy but he at least needs to be tricky.  

Having said that, he looks to be ready for first team footy IMO.  Somewhat like Nelson, it seems like the others were avoiding passing to the young guys in the first half and instead looked to pass among themselves.   That changed in the second half.  At least that is how I saw it.