Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

13 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

No no no, Fraser pushed for that loan.

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

So? TFC never kept him hostage. He wanted a loan and TFC gave it to him, so yes they were willing. Good for Fraser and shame on TFC for waiting until this kid was 23 to get him proper MLS level minutes.

With regards to Fraser, I really do wonder how it all went down.  If Bez at Columbus made the pitch to TFC for him that is a different story than TFC going out looking for options.  One shows initiative while the other just waits for deals to fall in their lap (similar to Lawrence).

And Bez also made a move for Hamilton.  I would bet that this was Columbus trying to pick up some value players that were underused at TFC.  And considering Fraser is on pace to get his most minutes ever this season on the defending champs and TFC are tanking tells you something about the young man and the american brain trust in TO.  

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

With regards to Fraser, I really do wonder how it all went down.  If Bez at Columbus made the pitch to TFC for him that is a different story than TFC going out looking for options.  One shows initiative while the other just waits for deals to fall in their lap (similar to Lawrence).

I imagine Columbus approached Toronto and not the other way around, but who's to say.

Fraser was brought into Columbus in response to the midfield injury crisis, if I recall correctly, which makes me think Bez made the pitch, but even so how would we know the pitch was specifically for Fraser?

It could have been that Bez asked Ali for a midfielder and he gave him Fraser, knowing that Liam wanted out. 

Or maybe Bez wanted a permanent move for Fraser, but they could only agree on a loan. 

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And Bez also made a move for Hamilton.  I would bet that this was Columbus trying to pick up some value players that were underused at TFC. 

Good point. Seems like Bez is drawing water from a familiar well, but to play devil's advocate it could have been that Fraser asked for a loan and so Toronto reached out to Bez, knowing that he'd possibly be open given the prior business (and familiarity with the player). I am kind of reluctant to give Toronto any credit for anything at this point, but I do still acknowledge it's a possible scenario. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Question: what is it about JMR that makes him a highly rated prospect?  Football-sense?  Passing?  Finishing?  Dribbling?

Just curious.  I've watched him a few times and just not sure if it's one thing I'm missing or just all-around ability.

Pretty sure it's his pinpoint accuracy and ability to ping a crossbar
https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-uSzbJVur/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited by grigorio

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Question: what is it about JMR that makes him a highly rated prospect?  Football-sense?  Passing?  Finishing?  Dribbling?

Just curious.  I've watched him a few times and just not sure if it's one thing I'm missing or just all-around ability.

I've only watched him a few times as well, but what I have noticed most is his combination play. One-twos, finding half spaces etc. I don't think he's a burner on the wing who will spam crosses, though he seemed to have a nice relationship with the massive Hugo Mbongue at the youth level. Would love to hear more observations, I have only watched JMR at the DA playoffs and the minutes he has gotten with TFC, not any youth NT or TFC II match.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Has anyone thought….maybe he just isn’t the wonder star we thought he would be.

Jayden Nelson’s fan energy in that category has been lost. 

I think it's gotten a little more likely that his ceiling isn't that high. The USL1 performances have definitely been a little concerning...

But on the other hand he's 17 and a pretty small kid. It's not his physical tools that set him apart, so maybe we have to wait a bit longer than we thought for him to build himself up. Once that happens, we have to hope that the intelligence and agility he's touted to have can reach the level they're supposed to.

Edited by PiedPilko

You know what I think..I think Mullins would make a fair USL player, as a heretofore unknown position as a defensive striker.  I think Dom Dwyer should be playing charity games somewhere.  I think Endoh did pretty well in the USL a couple years ago. 

Thats if we are talking about guys not living up to what "someone" thought they would be.  At least Rutty is still a teenager...he might still show us something.  

It was just a thought there bull rider. 

Just like this other thought, where I think TFC is so talent rich, and win first focused. They might be in the mold of Chelsea, where it’s better that they consistently find good loan opportunities for their young talented prospects where they can keep the now contributors or sell to make profits which equal to GAM. 

Because it’s Dunn before, Nelson yesterday, JMR today, who’s tomorrow? There’s a lot of  talented players in the TFC hoard academy that simply need to start playing with/against men. 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You know what I think..I think Mullins would make a fair USL player, as a heretofore unknown position as a defensive striker.  I think Dom Dwyer should be playing charity games somewhere.  I think Endoh did pretty well in the USL a couple years ago. 

Thats if we are talking about guys not living up to what "someone" thought they would be.  At least Rutty is still a teenager...he might still show us something.  

Mullins would be an excellent defensive striker in the USL.  Dwyer also has a chance to be productive there.  Maybe TFC should loan those guys to the USL so they can be more productive.

Let’s call a spade a spade here, he might be a fine player one day but at this point in his development the second team is probably the better fit. He’s wasn’t exactly killing it in USL and looks a little too diminutive for first team minutes right now (but can still grow).  

We can point to players like Busio or Pepi but if you watch MLS those guys keep a certain standard from minute 1 when they get on the field. They aren’t dominant from the start but they can play inside a system and pull their weight enough to keep up.

I agree with the point about being supported by the club. TFC’s development program looks rather broken but let’s not equate that to simply being provided with first team minutes.

3 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Let’s call a spade a spade here, he might be a fine player one day but at this point in his development the second team is probably the better fit. He’s wasn’t exactly killing it in USL and looks a little too diminutive for first team minutes right now (but can still grow).  

We can point to players like Busio or Pepi but if you watch MLS those guys keep a certain standard from minute 1 when they get on the field. They aren’t dominant from the start but they can play inside a system and pull their weight enough to keep up.

I agree with the point about being supported by the club. TFC’s development program looks rather broken but let’s not equate that to simply being provided with first team minutes.

In Rutty’s limited minutes I don’t think he’s looked poor or out of place.

I kind of wish we were seeing more of Rutty, but I have been at the point for a while that if a player's club telling me he is good is the only reason to believe a player is good, I'm not going to buy into it until I see it. I missed Rutty's appearance a week or two back, but from the little bit I have seen I didn't think there was anything to point to some high ceiling. Obviously I hope he pans out, but I'm just going to let him be and see what happens.