Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

rutty is coming from youth football, Clark from USL champ is it ? Who’s making the bigger jump and needs the adjustment ?

this is where the in between comes in and it’s where TFC, MTL and VWFC have to be better. The red bulls are the master of this of course their players will look amazing. 

Rutty would've likely seen a lot of time with TFCII last year if COVID didn't happen.

I'm sorry but as much talent as Nelsen and Rutty supposedly have, they really look like middle school kids.  They both could put on a few pounds and a bit of muscle, they get pushed around a fair bit out there.  I was 16 and went to play broomball with the mens team and I discovered what "old man" strength really was.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm sorry but as much talent as Nelsen and Rutty supposedly have, they really look like middle school kids.  They both could put on a few pounds and a bit of muscle, they get pushed around a fair bit out there.  I was 16 and went to play broomball with the mens team and I discovered what "old man" strength really was.

Yea it’s not like they had access to weights though, the situation in Ontario is really bad. That aside, not every 16 year old can pack on the pounds so easily.

Rutty is supposedly a top 3 prospect for his age group, but he really hasn’t impressed me. I see why he’s highly rated, because his decision making is good for a 16 year old, but last year Caden Clarke was 16 and scoring screamers in MLS. I hope Rutty is that caliber of prospect, but so far he hasn’t made an impact.

14 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No it’s not. They didn’t get access to their own facilities for god knows how long, the sports minister there and the health minister are nutty

No offence, but if you are an aspiring pro, you get a weight bench.  Some people used the first part of the COVID lockdown to really work hard.   It would have been entirely possible for any of these kids to access weights. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

No offence, but if you are an aspiring pro, you get a weight bench.  Some people used the first part of the COVID lockdown to really work hard.   It would have been entirely possible for any of these kids to access weights. 

He actually works out weekly at the OVO gym with the personal trainer of Drake... I'm being serious as well 😄

Can't have any excuses for getting physically stronger over the last year.

I think the fact that sports teams in Ontario couldn’t train minus the leafs and later on TFC is pretty telling.

let’s not forget Forge and Ottawa couldn’t train.

Just now, Dominic94 said:

I think the fact that sports teams in Ontario couldn’t train minus the leafs and later on TFC is pretty telling.

let’s not forget Forge and Ottawa couldn’t train.

I get it.  But this is a kid who has probably been in an elite stream for a long time.  It is silly to pretend that the pandemic precluded any possibility of him working out and getting stronger.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Okello put on pounds of muscle and he still gets pushed around, so I am not sure that's the answer. I don't know if we want Nelsen or Rutty to put on muscle, actually. Ideally you want guys like that to remain agile. Mexico's Antuna for example is very slight, but he makes it work. 

Nelsen and Rutty just need more reps at this level, that's it. They'll either learn how to ride tackles and beat opponents, or they won't. 

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Okello put on pounds of muscle and he still gets pushed around, so I am not sure that's the answer. I don't know if we want Nelsen or Rutty to put on muscle, actually. Ideally you want guys like that to remain agile. Mexico's Antuna for example is very slight, but he makes it work. 

Yes, it’s not a simple thing as just “add muscle” - each individual is different and needs to find the correct training regimen to produce their optimal body construct and performance - find the right balance between speed, power, agility, etc.  Plus he’s still 16!!!  
Like it seems that Jonathan David and Liam Millar put on some mass in the past year... they may be stronger, but they appear to be slower.

I get it.  But this is a kid who has probably been in an elite stream for a long time.  It is silly to pretend that the pandemic precluded any possibility of him working out and getting stronger.  

Not precluded but it didn’t help, also he’s not an early bloomer in case you can’t tell from his face. 

not a great comparison but I was scrawny until around 18-20, then I filled out. Some guy I knew were shredded at 16-17, can also be that he’s late.

it’s early, let’s be patient.

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Not precluded but it didn’t help, also he’s not an early bloomer in case you can’t tell from his face. 

not a great comparison but I was scrawny until around 18-20, then I filled out. Some guy I knew were shredded at 16-17, can also be that he’s late.

it’s early, let’s be patient.

Very true. If you look at Caleb he looks older than Jayden and JMR. Some teens physically mature earlier than others. You see this a lot in youth football. 

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Very true. If you look at Caleb he looks older than Jayden and JMR. Some teens physically mature earlier than others. You see this a lot in youth football. 

When the physical catches up to the technical we will see something very special from both.

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

Rutty is supposedly a top 3 prospect for his age group, but he really hasn’t impressed me. I see why he’s highly rated, because his decision making is good for a 16 year old, but last year Caden Clarke was 16 and scoring screamers in MLS. I hope Rutty is that caliber of prospect, but so far he hasn’t made an impact.

Caden Clarke is already physically mature enough to survive in the league, Nelson is not. 

That’s not JMR’s fault per say but it means we’ll see what he’s capable of later. People are screaming for field time but I think TFC right now is taking the right approach giving him the odd game but not overwhelming him.

Through my youth, I played pretty much the highest level of footy in Ontario growing up.  Nothing prepared me for the physicality of NCAA soccer.  It was a strong reality check and it was a massive jump from playing with boys to men.  Yes, a lot of NCAA (especially back in the day) was more about strength and speed over skill and technique.  I think it has changed now and players are much better prepared to make that leap.  Regardless, it really took 12 months and a soccer specific trainer to figure it out.  Hopefully it doesn't take the Toronto kids too long to figure out how important strength is in this game.

Edited by Corazon

43 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Another MLS academy guy that is only 17 and physically is built like a man is Cade Cowell. It is difficult to still think Rutty is the best in his age group when you see players like Caden Clarke and Cade Cowell already having success.

Marshall-Rutty is a year younger than them - so not in the same age group.

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Marshall-Rutty is a year younger than them - so not in the same age group.

Yes and that's why we need to compare his current season to their 2020 season. Let's see where he is at the end. For all we know he goes on to become a starter and gets a bunch of goals and assists. He's played twice I believe and the season is 4 games in, so not bad. I would have liked to see more in his performances, but at minimum he's shown he can not be a liability at the age of 16, so that's a good start.

Everyone is different, I don’t think it’s too much to worry about if our young kids aren’t as physically mature as some other prospects. Players mature at different speeds, I’m more worried about their technical ability. If they have the skill to play at MLS level at this age, the physical development will come with time. I’d rather a late bloomer physically than have someone who grew early and dominated his whole life just due to size.

The only slightly frustrating thing I suppose is that we see that NYRB and San Jose seem to be much more up to playing their two high potential dudes, while Vancouver and Toronto also have two but don't seem as interested in using them regularly.

Should also be mentioned Toronto has looked like ass so far so experimentation shouldn't be overlooked and Habibullah already looked better than Teibert in his cameo but because Montreal is also looking like ass MDS didn't feel the need to use his bench as much.

What am I reading here?

Not strong enough? They're teenagers. They all grow up differently. You guys should know this.

Not good enough because some other 16 year old is doing better? So what? That kid had the privilege of playing with the reserves. Rutty didn't. It's going to take time and experience. What are you expecting here? Not every 16 year old is going to adapt quickly. Doesn't mean he's some failed prodigy. It's like giving up on a 18 year old because he didn't make his debut at 16, what's the logic here?

Heck we've seen 16 year olds like Adu make a quick impact and look how that turned out. Some players adapt quickly but don't grow, while some players adapt slowly but grow substantially. A whole bunch of scenarios. Ridiculous to compare him to another player, in a different role in his team.

It's also ridiculous to blast him, meanwhile the vets and the experienced players on tfc have looked laughable. You want Rutty to carry that?

TFC2 are going to play soon. This is the time to have him switch between senior and reserve team and gain real experience.

It's so odd how people here can overly hype some random young players playing for some youth team in Europe, but a kid didn't impress with his senior team and the dream is already dead.

4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

What am I reading here?

Not strong enough? They're teenagers. They all grow up differently. You guys should know this.

Not good enough because some other 16 year old is doing better? So what? That kid had the privilege of playing with the reserves. Rutty didn't. It's going to take time and experience. What are you expecting here? Not every 16 year old is going to adapt quickly. Doesn't mean he's some failed prodigy. It's like giving up on a 18 year old because he didn't make his debut at 16, what's the logic here?

Heck we've seen 16 year olds like Adu make a quick impact and look how that turned out. Some players adapt quickly but don't grow, while some players adapt slowly but grow substantially. A whole bunch of scenarios. Ridiculous to compare him to another player, in a different role in his team.

It's also ridiculous to blast him, meanwhile the vets and the experienced players on tfc have looked laughable. You want Rutty to carry that?

TFC2 are going to play soon. This is the time to have him switch between senior and reserve team and gain real experience.

It's so odd how people here can overly hype some random young players playing for some youth team in Europe, but a kid didn't impress with his senior team and the dream is already dead.

Probably not the best tactic to counter one bad take with another.  Not one is “blasting” him and no one is claiming “the dream is already dead”.  People are simply pointing out that he has looked a bit out of his depth in the appearances so far.  And that is fair - he is 16 after all.  But it doesn’t change the fact that he may not be ready for that level of play and physicality yet.   Acknowledging that isn’t writing him off in  any way.