Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

12 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He stepped on ?

Hasn't seen too much of the ball yet in 7 minutes but has done well when on the ball so far.  Soteldo almost set him up for a dangerous shot but the defender stepped in just in time to deflect the ball away.

Just had a poor first touch but Mavinga saved his blushes.

Edited by Corazon

JMR just won a penalty kick for Toronto FC.  Soteldo scores the penalty (could have 3 or 4 himself).

Great to see him creating a goal.  Shaffelburg has been fantastic today.  Osorio and Laryea were very good as well today (particularly the first half).

Okello getting a few minutes late in the game as well.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Aside from the drawn PK I think he was underwhelming. Didn’t stand out against CPL opposition and had some poor touches.

You mean the guy who’s played like 3 games this month had poor touches ? Like are we serious with some of this stuff. How are we criticizing a kid who’s burning in a dumpster fire.

Thought he didn’t stick out but in a good way - he looked like an experienced player who knew how to keep possession and make the right runs and passes rather than a raw inexperienced 17 year old that he actually is. In other words he looked like he belonged out there.  He has got a good head for the game from what I saw, even with the one mistake he made (those will go away if they actually give him some playing time instead of giving it to the likes of Mullins or Endoh)

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

You mean the guy who’s played like 3 games this month had poor touches ? Like are we serious with some of this stuff. How are we criticizing a kid who’s burning in a dumpster fire.

Yes, he didn't have good touches. He's a professional. We don't need to look at everything with rose coloured glasses - sometimes we can be objective and honest. 

Ballou Tabla hadn't played a game in 6 months and scored a brace.

Tbh I thought he had a better performance than most other times I’ve seen him (even in USL). Nothing amazing and he did have a few poor touches, but he actually didn’t look overwhelmed like previous appearances. He played the ball with confidence and made some good runs. Generally I’ve thought he looked anonymous or overwhelmed but I didn’t think so last night. 
Anyways, these sort of minutes are exactly what he needs. TFC have another 10 matches this season - hopefully he can get a decent run.

He needs a run of games to gain confidence similar to what happened to Priso. Sometimes young players can be afraid that if they make mistakes they will just see the pine. The majority of the vets on TFC have been poor to downright terrible throughout this season but still see the field on a regular basis. 

The rest of this season should see where his level is and if he can help the first team next year. If he isn't showing the signs of a step up then they need to find him a team next year to develop with that is CPL/USL Champ, ect. 

I am not sure how to evaluate a 17 year old who was subbed on for 30 minutes in a torrential storm. I thought he dribbled the ball well, was finding some space but they weren't really giving him the ball. Thought overall he was fine. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yes, he didn't have good touches. He's a professional. We don't need to look at everything with rose coloured glasses - sometimes we can be objective and honest. 

Ballou Tabla hadn't played a game in 6 months and scored a brace.

Tabla is 5 years older with a whole lot more Pro experience under his belt. I agree pumping the brakes on JMR is warranted but we just haven't seen enough of him. 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:04 AM, canuckgbp said:

Tabla is 5 years older with a whole lot more Pro experience under his belt. I agree pumping the brakes on JMR is warranted but we just haven't seen enough of him. 

How can anyone truly have a real feel for what this kid has to offer or will be with such little playing time? The crazy thing was the price of his rookie card for a while, with it regularly going for $50-$70 for a period of time. People were jumping all over it. 

5 minutes ago, Cblake said:

How can anyone truly have a real feel for what this kid has to offer or will be with such little playing time? The crazy thing was the price of his rookie card for a while, with it regularly going for $50-$70 for a period of time. People were jumping all over it. 

Exactly. If this TFC team was making a playoff push and you want to rely on veterans that would make sense. 

This team is in the basement. Evaluating talent for next year should be one of the top priorities. 

They know what the vets will bring them. Think everyone has seen enough. They aren’t earning their place in the team sheet. 

Doesn’t mean always field a young team but someone like JMR should be getting a run of games because at this point what is the downside?

14 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Exactly. If this TFC team was making a playoff push and you want to rely on veterans that would make sense. 

This team is in the basement. Evaluating talent for next year should be one of the top priorities. 

They know what the vets will bring them. Think everyone has seen enough. They aren’t earning their place in the team sheet. 

Doesn’t mean always field a young team but someone like JMR should be getting a run of games because at this point what is the downside?

There is no downside to playing this kids at this point, it is simple as that. 

27 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The even crazier thing is that it is still going for that price. Cards for some of the TFC kids are pretty much decoupled from reality.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The even crazier thing is that it is still going for that price. Cards for some of the TFC kids are pretty much decoupled from reality.  

Yeah a friend of mine sold one of the numbered Bowman rookies for $115. It is crazy, the base was going for $70 regularly. The base has certainly has come down but the parallels are still up there. Now the kids is still only 17 years old so hopefully he is given the opportunity to develop at his own pace. Still believes he has promise. 

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=jahkeele+marshall-rutty&_sacat=0

Just threw on the TFC game from last night and paid attention to what JMR did.  He had some good movements in the final third and tried to make some good plays with teammates.  It seemed like it was his teammates that often messed up the give-and-go’s that they were executing.  Could have timed that final run better in the last minute but overall he looked solid last night.  

I know he isn’t lighting the league on fire or anything, but for a 17 year old kid, I am pretty content with the way he played.  He won’t be 18 until next June, so I am keeping my expectations realistic about the kind of impact he will have at this level.  We can’t expect everyone to have a Davies-esque impact as a teenager - it just isn’t realistic.  But I saw enough in his play last night to know that he has the skills and soccer IQ to be successful.  

On 9/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, Approve My Account Pls said:

He needs a loan somewhere where he can get minutes and develop. Wouldn't even mind a loan to a U23 team like Pecile is currently doing. He just needs to play, period

Let’s see. 

If he was an average prospect you’d almost certainly be stashing him in USL-1 to give him a better chance to shine. But I’m guessing his much-vaunted upside is making them think playing him limited minutes at the first team level is worth it for down the road.

I think anyone who is reading into his MLS performances right now is kidding themselves. He’s out there for experience and otherwise looks like an boy playing with men.