Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

He is getting coached by the first team guys, working out with Soteldo, Poz, Bradley etc learning from the old pros.  As long as he gets some minutes he should keep developing.  Did you catch Nelsen and Rutty jumping up and down like  little kids after the game when Rutty almost won the penalty??  Then I remembered they really are just high school kids, HAHA.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

He is getting coached by the first team guys, working out with Soteldo, Poz, Bradley etc learning from the old pros.  As long as he gets some minutes he should keep developing.  Did you catch Nelsen and Rutty jumping up and down like  little kids after the game when Rutty almost won the penalty??  Then I remembered they really are just high school kids, HAHA.  

I don't disagree agree that training with the first team guys is valuable but playing competitive minutes is so important to developing him, regardless of the level. Obviously you want him playing on the first team, but I'd rather him get 90 mins playing against 18-23 year olds (still older than him). Let him learn to dominate and flex his skills on them as opposed to playing 15 minutes a month. Maybe its just different opinions, but I personally think game time is far more valuable

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

Let’s see. 

If he was an average prospect you’d almost certainly be stashing him in USL-1 to give him a better chance to shine. But I’m guessing his much-vaunted upside is making them think playing him limited minutes at the first team level is worth it for down the road.

I think anyone who is reading into his MLS performances right now is kidding themselves. He’s out there for experience and otherwise looks like an boy playing with men.

Agreed on all points.

He's also training every day with the first team, which is a big step up from training with TFC2 (despite TFC's terrible record this year).

1 minute ago, RS said:

Not quite.

Okay, I exaggerated the truth just a bit 😂 If Perez had shown he's more willing to play the young guys, I'd be with you guys for sure but even with this dumpster fire of a season he's been hesitant.  Tbf tho, I agree with you in that I don't want him at TFC2, I'd want him at a higher level development league somewhere in Europe ideally. But if Perez starts playing him more frequently I'm happy to eat my words 

Have you watched TFC2??  That USL-1 is pretty shitty ball.  A lot of mugging and grabbing.  I'm no expert but a lot of people will say that a kid wants to be at as high a level as possible, ie you only get better by playing at the high level etc.  When Davies was 16 he got a couple hundred minutes and a few starts, 17 he got 1000+ minutes and plenty of appearances.  If Rutty can grab decent back up minutes until years end (another couple hundred minutes) it wont be a wasted year. He only just turned 17 this summer. Physically he looks like he is 12....no matter his technical skills he is going to get manhandled in MLS until his body matures some more.  

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Have you watched TFC2??  That USL-1 is pretty shitty ball.  A lot of mugging and grabbing.  I'm no expert but a lot of people will say that a kid wants to be at as high a level as possible, ie you only get better by playing at the high level etc.  When Davies was 16 he got a couple hundred minutes and a few starts, 17 he got 1000+ minutes and plenty of appearances.  If Rutty can grab decent back up minutes until years end (another couple hundred minutes) it wont be a wasted year. He only just turned 17 this summer. Physically he looks like he is 12....no matter his technical skills he is going to get manhandled in MLS until his body matures some more.  

If he’s able to continue to get 20-30 minutes off the bench that should be fine. It’s just about knowing what it’s like to be on the field for the first team and getting his bearings. Don’t particularly think he’s ready for 90 yet but perhaps that opportunity presents itself in one or two of the final fixtures on the schedule.

Davies can’t be the baseline for a lot of reasons, which I’m sure we all know. It might still be several more years before we see what JMR is capable of.

Not a bad honour for the kid.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/07/next-generation-2021-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Most young players emerging from Canada are likely to be likened to a certain Alphonso Davies, especially if they beat the Bayern Munich player’s record as the youngest player to have been called up for the national team (even though it was only by 10 days). A fast right winger, his crosses are exceptionally accurate and he can also turn inside and set up the forwards. Toronto FC’s general manager, Alis Curtis, has called him one of “the top young players in all North America”, adding that “he is an incredibly talented young man. While he’s only 15 years old, he plays the game in very mature way.”

39 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not a bad honour for the kid.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/07/next-generation-2021-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Most young players emerging from Canada are likely to be likened to a certain Alphonso Davies, especially if they beat the Bayern Munich player’s record as the youngest player to have been called up for the national team (even though it was only by 10 days). A fast right winger, his crosses are exceptionally accurate and he can also turn inside and set up the forwards. Toronto FC’s general manager, Alis Curtis, has called him one of “the top young players in all North America”, adding that “he is an incredibly talented young man. While he’s only 15 years old, he plays the game in very mature way.”

The problem is that this was the assessment as a 15 year old prospect. But he is now 17 and hasn’t shown significant growth in terms of on-field performances.  He hasn’t dominated for TFC2 and when he is on the field for TFC proper he doesn’t look out of place but he isn’t really turning heads as an outstanding prospect.  To be honest, I have been more impressed with Priso’s contributions to the first team (prior to his injury).   

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The problem is that this was the assessment as a 15 year old prospect. But he is now 17 and hasn’t shown significant growth in terms of on-field performances.  He hasn’t dominated for TFC2 and when he is on the field for TFC proper he doesn’t look out of place but he isn’t really turning heads as an outstanding prospect.  To be honest, I have been more impressed with Priso’s contributions to the first team (prior to his injury).   

Let’s see where he’s at in a year, I have a feeling a lot of people’s opinions will change.

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Let’s be fair to JMR, he’s smaller in stature still growing into frame that would support his play at the pro level.  I would generally agree with your assessment (we haven’t seen anything yet) but that might still be to come. 

It should be noted when he was 15 he was the consensus best North American prospect in his year. Not considered to be a generational talent like Davies but very highly rated.

We’ll see I guess.

Just now, ag futbol said:

It should be noted when he was 15 he was the consensus best North American prospect in his year. Not considered to be a generational talent like Davies but very highly rated.

People keep saying this but this was entirely based off of Ali Curtis / TFC hype. Where is this "consensus" you're referring to? Who was part of this consensus?

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

People keep saying this but this was entirely based off of Ali Curtis / TFC hype. Where is this "consensus" you're referring to? Who was part of this consensus?

Yup.

And basically getting on this list just proves that the people hyping him are doing a good PR job.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yup.

And basically getting on this list just proves that the people hyping him are doing a good PR job.

It certainly does, as evident by the European speculation that was in the media across the pond and some of the crazy prices paid for his 2020 Bowman rookie card. At this point we simply do not know what he is at this point. Now if he does crack the TFC lineup and gets regular minutes in 2022 that could all change. 

32 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Top Drawer Soccer was one IIRC, which is very credible. But again, this was probably the take when he was 13-15 and things change. Clearly he is not the top player at his age today but you’d hope the potential is still there.

They did the kid a huge disservice pumping his tires going into a season where he’s clearly not ready to contribute at the pro level.

TFC also seem to have no real pathway for young players to make the jump from TFC 2 to the first team. In years past when they were winning and spending big not sure if people cared. USL Champ wasn't as far along and CPL didn't even exist. They don't seem to be taking advantage of those leagues. 

Are those leagues the answer? Not sure. TFC 2 with USL L1 doesn't seem to be though. Not sure how MLS Next will play into all this. Maybe they see that as the new bridge? 

There was a few that covered the USSDA who said that Rutty was the best player in his age group for NA, they also said that Pellogrino wasn’t far off and could mount a challenge.

I think it’s frequently lost on people that Jakehele is going to be a later blooming player, he looks like he’s 12, it’s very likely he’s a monster at 22/23 when he’s fully matured. Davies was a monster at 15, the reality is that MLS is a league where a player who has a strong build at a young age or is physically gifted will succeed and can play young. It shouldn’t have to be said but clearly it has to be, he would be able to crack it in a less physical league, I’d argue the same for Nelsen.

Edited by Dominic94

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

TFC’s handling of him this year no time only stalled his development, but also put him back some.  Unless there’s some serious changes at this club, this is a warning to the next young Toronto-area prospect with this sort of potential to get the hell out.

What are you basing this on?   Do you have supporting evidence or alternatives ideas?  What would you have done?  I get frustrated when i keep reading this stuff: “TFC is ruining young players”. Or “TFC is not providing playing time for young”.  Or “TFC is favouring americans”.  Etc etc 

Is the suggestion to throw out there teenagers to play against men so that the teenager’s confidence gets ruined?  And make the the paying public have to suffer through watching a developement process at the expense of fielding a competitive team and seeing the team finish last?   There are many people who pay to come watch TFC and they are all canadians. 

This re occcurring theme has the semblance of some sort campaign here.  And of hidden agendas.  I might understand  if i this kind stuff came from other Canadian MLS locales but when i hear this from people whose username suggests that that they live in the GtA, its puzzling.   

Oh and more important question,  what are the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps doing from a developement standpoint that is better than TFC?   Why does TFC get singled out?   

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Is the suggestion to throw out there teenagers to play against men so that the teenager’s confidence gets ruined?  And make the the paying public have to suffer through watching a developement process at the expense of fielding a competitive team and seeing the team finish last?   There are many people who pay to come watch TFC and they are all canadians. 

Isn't that what TFC  is doing? Finishing at the bottom. How much worse would it have been if they played the young Canadian talent? Last place instead of 2nd last?

Compare that with CF MTL. They have 6 and sometimes 7 young Canadian players each game and none of them have the talent and promise that TFC's players "had". And last I checked they were in the top 7 teams.

Edited by Sal333