Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/03/minnesota-united-goalkeeper-dayne-st-clair-continues-rapid-growth-he-has-very-bright

"I think he's one of the best young, if not the best, goalkeepers in MLS if he keeps improving, keeps listening to people who have been doing this for a long time," head coach Adrian Heath said. "He has a very bright future. At no stage were we worried about bringing him in. I know one or two people were thinking did we need another goalkeeper, but all along I thought he was going to be good enough, and he's proving that."

"I've said it a million times, goals change games, and Dayne's come up with [some] great saves when we needed him to," Heath said.

"I actually [told] him that he's gotta kick our butts a little bit and scream at us when we're not doing the right things in front of him," said Kei Kamara, whose 12th-minute penalty and 130th career MLS goal opened the scoring. "That's one of the big things that I think when he does that, he starts becoming a leader."

"He has a strong presence behind you," said defender Chase Gasper, the Loons' other 1st-round pick from last year. "Loud voice, amazing shot-stopping capabilities. It's just a great goalkeeper to have behind you...he's done an incredible job at filling in at that position."

36 minutes ago, Bdog said:

3 shutouts in 7 games!

I don’t think many of us expected our best two goalkeeper prospects to come from MLS. It seemed like it would be one of the guys in Italy, hopefully one of them still pans out. 

Well when you decide to leave Juventus to go play Semi-pro in Serie D you're probably gonna fall down the Canada depth chart.

honestly, right now the front runner out of all the prospect is St. Clair, like no contest. It's a joy to watch him play, so much confidence and presence. He is playing like a seasoned pro. I'd feel just as comfortable with him in net right now as I would with Borjan (if for w.e. reason Borjan wasn't available) to be honest, and I really can't say the same about Crepeau.

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I guess this is unpopular, but why do we all have him over Hasal? They're both good shot stoppers with significant room for improvement (DSC with distribution, TH with shotcatching), but Thomas is younger. They're neck-and-neck to me.

Maybe the experience. St Clair has 2 Years starting at Maryland, had some pressure games taking them to the NCAA title.  Plus USL games last year and this year...and now they both have a fistful of MLS games.  Both looked shaky at times, but very promising..bright futures if they can keep getting games.  Between St Clair settling in at Minnesota, Hasal's run, the italian connection and the group of CPL guys getting valuable minutes this is the happiest I have been about our keeping situation in over 10 years.  

13 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I guess this is unpopular, but why do we all have him over Hasal? They're both good shot stoppers with significant room for improvement (DSC with distribution, TH with shotcatching), but Thomas is younger. They're neck-and-neck to me.

I've seen Hasal play, but i haven't seen Dayne yet.  However LeoH037 lists two things that I guess answer your question "confidence and presence".  Hasal has potential, but I didn't really see confidence and presence in his game yet.  If that stands out in Dayne's game, I guess we have our answer.

5 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Other than highlights, haven't watched a full game so for those who've seen him play, how's his distribution?  It was mentioned in a previous post as something he can work on but is it at Joe Bendik or Alex Bono levels or something above that?

I haven't seen him play but his pass completion rate is around 45%. That's Bendik or Bono in a bad year. Looks like he may need more than a little work in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hard to believe we have had 4 different CDN keepers get decent runs in MLS this year.  

Six months ago I thought there was no chance another keeper could be putting pressure on Borjan for the top spot in CMNT, but now the debate is getting close. I would still put Borjan in, but his regular mistakes always worry me.

26 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Six months ago I thought there was no chance another keeper could be putting pressure on Borjan for the top spot in CMNT, but now the debate is getting close. I would still put Borjan in, but his regular mistakes always worry me.

He's making a strong case to be at least the #2. Right now I would rank him higher than Crepeau because he's healthy and putting in some good performances, while Crepeau has been injured.

Despite giving up 2 goals he was selected to the bench for the MLS team of the week (which really should be re-titled Team of the Weekend since they seem to be issuing this team award twice weekly). Laryea also made the bench. And they thought so much of Henry yelling at Tabla that they awarded him coach of the week as a result:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/19/team-week-presented-audi-dc-united-defenders-shine-after-snapping-skid-week-19

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

MLS team of the week (which really should be re-titled Team of the Weekend since they seem to be issuing this team award twice weekly).

It likely has to do with fulfilling contractual obligations.

11 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

He's making a strong case to be at least the #2. Right now I would rank him higher than Crepeau because he's healthy and putting in some good performances, while Crepeau has been injured.

St Clair just seems to radiate a greater degree of assertiveness and confidence that Crepeau doesnt... maybe its just a product of their respective personality, but if im a defender I want someone like St. Clair behind me. A keeper's confidence extends go his defenders' and def affects their psyche

Edited by LeoH037