Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Forge just signed Marcel Zajac.

Shocking.  This is a player who was the hottest player in NCAA soccer just two months ago and would surely be a high MLS pick next year.

Bobby connection coming in huge.  This league is truly different - you wouldn’t see players leaving NCAA/MLS for USL/NASL.

As you were saying. 

17 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Shocking.  This is a player who was the hottest player in NCAA soccer just two months ago and would surely be a high MLS pick next year.

Bobby connection coming in huge.  This league is truly different - you wouldn’t see players leaving NCAA/MLS for USL/NASL.

It's interesting that Zajac didn't leave school early for a Generation Adidas contract that would pay him six figures (USD) after that strong NCAA season. Once he didn't do that, his stock as an MLS draft pick fell way down (all 4-year NCAA players immediately count against the salary cap), as did his own negotiating power (he'd earn a lot less in his first contract as a non-GA player), which cleared the way for him joining Forge.

If he wasn't going to MLS this year as a GA player, it really makes no sense to stay at Akron for his final year. Might as well get some pro minutes this season under a coach he's very familiar with. Win/win for Zajac and Forge.

As to your last point, I think you'll see a few of this year's GA players in the USL this season. Of course, that's by choice of the MLS clubs that drafted them, not the players themselves.

27 minutes ago, RS said:

It's interesting that Zajac didn't leave school early for a Generation Adidas contract that would pay him six figures (USD) after that strong NCAA season. Once he didn't do that, his stock as an MLS draft pick fell way down (all 4-year NCAA players immediately count against the salary cap), as did his own negotiating power (he'd earn a lot less in his first contract as a non-GA player), which cleared the way for him joining Forge.

If he wasn't going to MLS this year as a GA player, it really makes no sense to stay at Akron for his final year. Might as well get some pro minutes this season under a coach he's very familiar with. Win/win for Zajac and Forge.

As to your last point, I think you'll see a few of this year's GA players in the USL this season. Of course, that's by choice of the MLS clubs that drafted them, not the players themselves.

I don’t think anything “cleared the way” for him signing for Forge, he obviously just chose to sign there as he left school early to do so.  As you said, he could go to MLS or play another year and then go to MLS.  I don’t think him playing another year would hurt his draft stock all that much as he would likely be made by a domestic by MLS anyway just like Montgomery was.  

Well of course there will be GA players on MLS reserve sides but you’re not going to see guys opting to sign for Ottawa or Reno instead of taking a MLS deal, that was my point.  Clearly a player leaving university early is serious about being a professional and for him to decide on CPL is a statement.  This is a smart move because he gets to choose where he starts his professional career and he doesn’t need to risk being drafted by an MLS team where he’s stuck behind a DP striker (or two) with virtually no chance of ever winning a starting spot. 

If he wants to advance as a pro I’d argue this is the safest bet.  He can get minutes with a coach he’s familiar with who has a proven track record of moving players to higher levels as opposed to throwing your name in the MLS lottery and crossing your fingers you wind up in a good situation.  

38 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well of course there will be GA players on MLS reserve sides but you’re not going to see guys opting to sign for Ottawa or Reno instead of taking a MLS deal, that was my point.  Clearly a player leaving university early is serious about being a professional and for him to decide on CPL is a statement.  

I think this is the most important CanPL signing to date, most of the signings so far have been the usual suspects.  

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don’t think anything “cleared the way” for him signing for Forge, he obviously just chose to sign there as he left school early to do so.

Don't take my choice of wording the wrong way — it wasn't meant as a slight against Forge or the CPL. I simply meant that he had the possibility of signing a GA deal and making more money in MLS, but he chose Forge and a coach he's familiar/comfortable with. Most players wouldn't do that, but this may end up being best for his professional career in the long run.

We'll see.

Clearly a player leaving university early is serious about being a professional and for him to decide on CPL is a statement.  This is a smart move because he gets to choose where he starts his professional career and he doesn’t need to risk being drafted by an MLS team where he’s stuck behind a DP striker (or two) with virtually no chance of ever winning a starting spot. 

If he wants to advance as a pro I’d argue this is the safest bet.  He can get minutes with a coach he’s familiar with who has a proven track record of moving players to higher levels as opposed to throwing your name in the MLS lottery and crossing your fingers you wind up in a good situation.  

No argument from me. It's a lower bar for him to clear in terms of playing level, and if he develops into a star he's still young enough to move on to a bigger league (maybe even with a nice transfer fee for Forge/CPL).

I don’t think him playing another year would hurt his draft stock all that much as he would likely be made by a domestic by MLS anyway just like Montgomery was.

GA players always tend to be more valued than regular draft picks, simply based on their lack of salary cap hit. That allows teams to give more leeway and be more patient with a young player in his development.

The vast majority of Canadians that sign in MLS will be considered domestic, so I don't think that's much of an issue any longer.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Why do you think they offered him one??  It seems like they only give those out to guys that are sure fire top pick underclassmen.  I didnt get the sense that Zajac's tournie run put him that high on MLS radar.  

55 minutes ago, RS said:

Don't take my choice of wording the wrong way — it wasn't meant as a slight against Forge or the CPL. I simply meant that he had the possibility of signing a GA deal and making more money in MLS, but he chose Forge and a coach he's familiar/comfortable with. Most players wouldn't do that, but this may end up being best for his professional career in the long run.

We'll see.

No argument from me. It's a lower bar for him to clear in terms of playing level, and if he develops into a star he's still young enough to move on to a bigger league (maybe even with a nice transfer fee for Forge/CPL).

GA players always tend to be more valued than regular draft picks, simply based on their lack of salary cap hit. That allows teams to give more leeway and be more patient with a young player in his development.

The vast majority of Canadians that sign in MLS will be considered domestic, so I don't think that's much of an issue any longer.

Do you know for a fact he was offered a GA contract? It was my understanding he wasn't.

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why do you think they offered him one??  It seems like they only give those out to guys that are sure fire top pick underclassmen.  I didnt get the sense that Zajac's tournie run put him that high on MLS radar.  

17 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Do you know for a fact he was offered a GA contract? It was my understanding he wasn't.

Just rumours.

If he wasn't offered a GA contract then that makes my point even stronger. Why waste a year at Akron when there's a perfectly good opportunity to develop as a professional at home?

Very important signing.

I always thought the main attraction for young players to CPL should be the lack of red tape in getting transferred out after a good season.  If Sigma are still managing him as they do with most of their alums, then there is an extra incentive to move him if does well.

CPL has to position themselves as the better choice for players who want to make the move to Europe. 

6 hours ago, RS said:

If he wasn't going to MLS this year as a GA player, it really makes no sense to stay at Akron for his final year.

Except if he wanted to finish university, and with a solid degree, get a job paying better than CPL. I never quite got what the point of NCAA was anyways, to be a guy with hardly any playing time at college against inferior opponents, and mediocre development--and then take all that and drop out of your education with it. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Except if he wanted to finish university, and with a solid degree, get a job paying better than CPL. I never quite got what the point of NCAA was anyways, to be a guy with hardly any playing time at college against inferior opponents, and mediocre development--and then take all that and drop out of your education with it. 

Does a degree from the university of Akron count as a solid degree which can land you a good paying job? I have my doubts.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:06 AM, Keegan said:

Hamilton Spectator article on the signing:
https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/9116126-forge-fc-building-from-offence/

• RS locked this topic