Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Why would we be in a rush for a non-Sigma signing??  Awuah and Laryea next hopefully. 

Maybe Alex Halis? 

Halis is a name I havnt heard in a while.  He was highly regarded during his time with Syracuse, was he with Sigma in L1O last year?  Awuah and Laryea would be very good signings for anyone in CPL.  

On 1/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, DigzTFC said:

Forge looks like the Sigma FC alumni team.  Guess Richie Laryea, Kwame Awuah and Jonathan Grant might join

Really not a bad thing though, really makes you realize just how good Sigma is, and with no pro team attached to them the whole time they were developing these guys.... So many quality guys out of Sigma, really makes you wonder what exactly TFC academy is doing wrong.

Edited by BradMack

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Really not a bad thing though, really makes you realize just how good Sigma is, and with no pro team attached to them the whole time they were developing these guys.... So many quality guys out of Forge, really makes you wonder what exactly TFC academy is doing wrong.

Funny, since half of the guys signed in the league has a TFC background...

Edited by shamrock

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

Which is exactly one of the main reasons this league was formed, we are stoked to see guys like Borges sign and hopefully develop further even if TFC deem him not worth keeping! I am assuming he was released from their academy!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

Which is exactly one of the main reasons this league was formed, we are stoked to see guys like Borges sign and hopefully develop further even if TFC deem him not worth keeping! I am assuming he was released from their academy!

He wasn’t released he left and signed for Heerenveen.  I saw some highlights of him there playing for their youth squad - he looked really good in the match I saw he had a goal and 2 assists and would have had more if his teammates finished. 

17 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'm not trying to crap on TFC, I support them. I'm also not pumping Forge's tires, believe me... I'm actually a Halifax season ticket holder. I mistakenly gave Forge credit where I meant to say Sigma in my original post.  

I don't think anyone would argue TFC has developed more, better players than Sigma... most of the players related to TFC in the league were either drafted by TFC and developed elsewhere, recieved most of their developement at other clubs, or are nowhere near as proven as the guys Forge has signed from Sigma... That is my reasoning for the post... Its just incredible how successful Sigma has been, in essentially the same area, with way less resources compared to TFC. Hopefully with Ali Curtis coming in the whole system can be revamped and turned around. RBNY has one of the best academies in MLS and he was a big part of that from what I read. 

All of the teams are drawing heavily on the MLS clubs' academies, which makes sense since they're the only one that existed (besides a lone wolf like Sigma FC). My point was that even if a player like Borges does succes, that won't mean TFC made a mistake. A mistake would only be a player that gets cut and then immediately walks over to the competition and excels there. 

Btw on Borges, he played 3 seasons with a respectable side like Heerenveen and no club in Holland decided to pick him up. Not even in the 1. League (2nd Division) even though he has a pasport. My expectations for him are pretty ow to be honest but who knows.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, DigzTFC said:

Forge looks like the Sigma FC alumni team.  Guess Richie Laryea, Kwame Awuah and Jonathan Grant might join

I'm probably one of the least qualified people to speak about the quality of these signings, so please take this post with bowling ball sized grain of salt.

Really, I think that's the only criticism you can make, that we're all getting Sigma alumni, and potentially not casting the net as wide as possible. I mean, I understand getting your guys and I have no doubts they'll perform. My concern is, ok now fast forward a few years, other academies are producing talents, a few injuries happen or someone gets picked up by another club, how are you filling those gaps?

That said, it's far to early for actual serious criticism on this front. This is probably me just me projecting on pretty much exactly what happened to the Ti-Cats over the last 6 years.

6 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

I'm probably one of the least qualified people to speak about the quality of these signings, so please take this post with bowling ball sized grain of salt.

Really, I think that's the only criticism you can make, that we're all getting Sigma alumni, and potentially not casting the net as wide as possible. I mean, I understand getting your guys and I have no doubts they'll perform. My concern is, ok now fast forward a few years, other academies are producing talents, a few injuries happen or someone gets picked up by another club, how are you filling those gaps?

That said, it's far to early for actual serious criticism on this front. This is probably me just me projecting on pretty much exactly what happened to the Ti-Cats over the last 6 years.

Anyone that criticizes Forge for picking up a core of Sigma players is absolutely bonkers. Most of these guys played together growing up and will have chemistry, and they all know how Bobby S wants to play

• RS locked this topic