Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

Tristan Henry for Forge goalie!   Yes he is from Sigma but look at his GAA last season playing every league game!  

Interesting that left his back up Baj Mann without an L1O game (although he excelled from what I read at their U-21 games) but he went to the tryouts in Vaughan last Fall and made the final cut of ~20 from ~210 trialists.  

Goalkeeper

#

Name

GP

MIN

GA

YC

RC

GAA

Triston Henry 16 1440 9 1 0 0.56

uh margin cut off.  Yellow cards 1  Red cards 0  and most important:  

Goals against average...….0.56  

Edited by Rocket Robin

20 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

...With the possible exception of Valour, all the clubs are drawing from pools of players very familiar with one another...

Think you might be onto something with that on how the Sigma FC trend could be justified to higher up corporate types. If prior familiarity with a particular preferred system helps a team hit the ground running and win consistently during their first ten or so competitive games that could be the difference between a successful launch season and a close but no cigar one. Then when the culture of the club is very much in place, it's easier to integrate players from elsewhere from the summer transfer window onwards.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Is Forge even going to have a full team to start the season? Kind of lagging behind with 8 signings.

It has been a bit surprising......I was assuming they'd be the first to announce a complete roster but there's two months to go before the season starts and as of right now they will be forfeiting every game due to a lack of players signed.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It has been a bit surprising......I was assuming they'd be the first to announce a complete roster but there's two months to go before the season starts and as of right now they will be forfeiting every game due to a lack of players signed.

No worries. Still lots of time to assemble a very good roster. As I mentioned in another thread, I get the impression they’re working on some major signings.

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

No worries. Still lots of time to assemble a very good roster. As I mentioned in another thread, I get the impression they’re working on some major signings.

Who do you suspect? David Edgar would be an ideal fit, from Kitchener as well.

5 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Who do you suspect? David Edgar would be an ideal fit, from Kitchener as well.

Edgar would definitely be an ideal fit.

Last fall I heard a rumour that former Montréal Impact midfielder Louis Béland-Goyette was interested in signing with Forge FC. Last June he suffered a broken foot. Have no idea whether he is fit to play, but with 10 MLS appearances in the past 2 seasons including 4 starts last season, he would be a great signing for Forge.

Edited by Grandbloke

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

They might be waiting to pick up late cuts from MLS and top independent USL franchise training camps. Richie Laryea for example.

12 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Or they have most of their roster signed just like most of the CPL and they are just waiting on releasing names or finalizing contracts. There will be the odd late pick up for most teams, but I think every team would have close to 20 players "signed" now.

For sure, but there’s definitely still movement happening. Junior Kingue for example was going to sign for Forge, but didn’t impress during some trials a day or two ago. So they’re definitely still considering their options, defensively at least anyway. 

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's the French wunderkind playing with Santos youth teams, who was being touted as a potential signing on social media a few months back.

https://talksport.com/football/390406/tottenham-hotspur-transfer-news-spurs-scout-santos-starlet-junior-kingue-manchester-united-manchester-city/

I wonder what happened, he said on Instagram that he’s signing with a Canadian premier league team that’s not Forge. He said they didn’t value him as a player after he spent weeks teasing he would join. I’m betting he has attitude problems, based in following him on social media for the last couple weeks.

11 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Forge sign Triston Henry and Dom Samuel. Keep that sigma train rollin'

Bobby Smyrniotis is definitely all in with that strategy now. Guess a bit like the Foothills for the Cavalty last summer they may have been using the Sigma L1O team to start putting the pieces together. Suspect Dominic Samuel would have had other options besides L1O after starting regularly for the Rhinos in USL in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Samuel_(soccer)

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Two more signings.. up to 12 players now.

A Senegalese international with 12 caps and Johnny Grant.  Impressive.  

With Cisse’s international experience it’s surprising this is his first trip outside of Senegal. 

Apparently a number of foreign clubs were looking to bring him in so this is a great get for the Forge staff. Good signing for the league too

55 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Two more signings.. up to 12 players now.

A Senegalese international with 12 caps and Johnny Grant.  Impressive.  

With Cisse’s international experience it’s surprising this is his first trip outside of Senegal. 

Which Cisse is this? Isn't there like twenty soccer players from both France and Senegal named Cisse.

• RS locked this topic