Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

7 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Feels like Christmas Day, see you all in less than 12 hours for kickoff!!

It really feels like Christmas Day here on Stoney Creek Mountain, 1C, windy and light snow blowing around, dress warm for the match folks, the wind will make it feel real cool at the stadium especially in the East Stands! I'm really excited for this historic match, I hope to see lots of Voyageurs there!

34 minutes ago, gator said:

It really feels like Christmas Day here on Stoney Creek Mountain, 1C, windy and light snow blowing around, dress warm for the match folks, the wind will make it feel real cool at the stadium especially in the East Stands! I'm really excited for this historic match, I hope to see lots of Voyageurs there!

See you at the game!  I’ll buy you a round in honour of your retirement. You’re in the BSB section right?   Cheers

Edited by baulderdash77

A few initial reviews of the players. 

Starters:

Henry - decent showing but not much work after the start. Had one easy save that he seemed to struggle on and scared us a bit down in 118. His distribution didn't look great, which may lead to goal scorer Quillan Roberts getting a start soon lol. 

Frano - looked like he was playing right back but wanted to play in the midfield. but  Had some nice moves going forward but didn't track back very well defensively especially in the first half.

Achinotti Jonnson - listed as a midfielder but seemed to be playing on the backline. didn't do much, other than a few short passes.

Samuel - solid at the back . thought he looked like a physical beast and made crisp passes, but did get burned once due to his pace near the end.

Kwame - started a bit slow and panicky, but grew into the game. in the second half he was much more confident and linked up well with Thomas on the side. He'll be good at the back as long as he isn't afraid to make some calculated runs. 

Grant - really unfortunate to pick up an injury, hope its not too serious.

Cisse - was a bit more offensive than I expected. I though he was better than bekker in the middle, but had one open chance for a good strike and hesitated too much. 

Bekker - not the best game for him. looked more like young tfc Bekker than USL All Star Bekker. expected him to boss the midfield at this level, but the competition was also better than I expected. hope for a better performance next game

Nanco - so very fast, but tried to do too much on the ball a few times. clearly a very passionate player, looked frustrated when subbed off.

Borges - the best player in the squad right from the beginning. had a few good chances, also had some nice footwork on the ball out wide. seems like a very talented player and the type that this league was made to give exposure to. if it wasn't so windy I would've expected someone to score from one of his crosses.

Welshman - man if only he would've scored that bicycle kick. had some flashes in the first half but looked great in the second half. was better when he tried to play a bit more wide. would be curious to see him on the wing, especially if they were able to sign a striker like Babouli. 

Subs: 

Owundi - not too noticeable, which I guess isn't a bad thing. 

Zajac - was good on the ball, looked dangerous in the box but was not on for very long. 

Thomas - brought a real spark of life into the game. was more effective than Nanco. seemed to link up well with Awuah and was confident on the ball. made smart passes, had a decent cross or two and was strong on the ball. 

13 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

A few initial reviews of the players. 

Starters:

Henry - decent showing but not much work after the start. Had one easy save that he seemed to struggle on and scared us a bit down in 118. His distribution didn't look great, which may lead to goal scorer Quillan Roberts getting a start soon lol. 

Frano - looked like he was playing right back but wanted to play in the midfield. but  Had some nice moves going forward but didn't track back very well defensively especially in the first half.

Achinotti Jonnson - listed as a midfielder but seemed to be playing on the backline. didn't do much, other than a few short passes.

Samuel - solid at the back . thought he looked like a physical beast and made crisp passes, but did get burned once due to his pace near the end.

Kwame - started a bit slow and panicky, but grew into the game. in the second half he was much more confident and linked up well with Thomas on the side. He'll be good at the back as long as he isn't afraid to make some calculated runs. 

Grant - really unfortunate to pick up an injury, hope its not too serious.

Cisse - was a bit more offensive than I expected. I though he was better than bekker in the middle, but had one open chance for a good strike and hesitated too much. 

Bekker - not the best game for him. looked more like young tfc Bekker than USL All Star Bekker. expected him to boss the midfield at this level, but the competition was also better than I expected. hope for a better performance next game

Nanco - so very fast, but tried to do too much on the ball a few times. clearly a very passionate player, looked frustrated when subbed off.

Borges - the best player in the squad right from the beginning. had a few good chances, also had some nice footwork on the ball out wide. seems like a very talented player and the type that this league was made to give exposure to. if it wasn't so windy I would've expected someone to score from one of his crosses.

Welshman - man if only he would've scored that bicycle kick. had some flashes in the first half but looked great in the second half. was better when he tried to play a bit more wide. would be curious to see him on the wing, especially if they were able to sign a striker like Babouli. 

Subs: 

Owundi - not too noticeable, which I guess isn't a bad thing. 

Zajac - was good on the ball, looked dangerous in the box but was not on for very long. 

Thomas - brought a real spark of life into the game. was more effective than Nanco. seemed to link up well with Awuah and was confident on the ball. made smart passes, had a decent cross or two and was strong on the ball. 

These are mostly pretty spot on.  I'm not sure Bekker played so bad as much as he just did not meet my expectations for him as a player.  He was certainly a lot grittier -- a hockey fan might say 'truculent' -- than I realized.  Borges was a lot of fun to watch on the wing on our side in the second half, in a class of his own when it came to ball control and finding space to operate.  Owundi had some touch on the ball and a lot of physicality when he replaced Grant but also a young Doneil-like tendency for some boneheaded plays.  Samuel looks like a solid smart defender who will get beaten for speed by pacey wingers.  You can see the potential with Nanco but he tried to do too much with the ball, held it too long and then mades poor decisions.  Thomas was less flashy but more useful after replacing him in the second half.  Awuah had a great second half, Welshman looked like he will score plenty of goals in this league, Henry made me a little nervous at times although he made one huge point blank save in the first half.  Frano is just a solid player who plays within himself and will be very useful through the course of the year even if you don't notice him much.  I think Achiniotti Jonsson has the potential to play a similar role, but hasn't quite fit in with the Sigma style yet.

It was very apparent that Smyrniotis wants to play the ball out of the back almost always, no hoofing allowed, and that teaching his players to play the right way sometimes trumps just making the practical play.  They will concede some goals this year for this practice, and they may be the team in the league that has a solid season but tries to play too pretty for their own good sometimes, Arsenal-style.

The whole team started nervous and grew into the game and they really had the west side crowd buzzing as they created chance after chance in the second half.  

Everyone is talking about Bekker’s passing.  He attempted 44 passes and completed 38 of them.  86% is generally regarded as a good rate.

I think all the misses must have been in box though to be honest.  Because I can think of several that could have been goal opportunities.

In the Center of the field he executed his passes very well.

Theres no doubt to me that he should have gotten a red card for that play on Di Chiara and he played way more physically defending than I remember.  He’s really changed his game from the TFC/ Montreal  Impact years.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Everyone is talking about Bekker’s passing.  He attempted 44 passes and completed 38 of them.  86% is generally regarded as a good rate.

I think all the misses must have been in box though to be honest.  Because I can think of several that could have been goal opportunities.

In the Center of the field he executed his passes very well.

Theres no doubt to me that he should have gotten a red card for that play on Di Chiara and he played way more physically defending than I remember.  He’s really changed his game from the TFC/ Montreal  Impact years.

Thats the thing.... Hes supposed to be a number 10.... Not a 6.

A lot of those passes were backward passes, and he made zero key passes. 

I see the same Bekker, when the competition gets tough he goes to a number 6.... but at 28 im not really looking for his game to get better. 

Guys like Borges, Zajac, and Thomas I'm excited to see. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:27 AM, gator said:

I am of two minds about this whole give away thing, I get what they are trying to do, optics and all but what if this backfires? There is no guarantee that this won’t be a shitty cold and wet spring day in The Hammer causing many of the people with freebies not to bother showing, I am not sure even in good weather there will be 24,000 people interested in going! The other concern someone raised is free tickets cheapens the perception of the product and can piss off paying customers, the Argos know all about that! I guess I’ll just have to trust Bob Young and his marketing team, they do know a thing or two about promoting events!

I don't like quoting myself but I thought my worst fears came to fruition!

Edited by gator

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 3:45 AM, Blackjack15 said:

he's much better than that Kadell Thomas guy who did **** all last year in L10

A nation is now glad to see ''that Kadell Thomas guy'' is playing in this league: 22 year old Canadian top scorer and one of the top performers of the league after a couple weeks

A banner is probably needed: THAT KADELL THOMAS GUY

2018 L1O FUCK ALL...2019 CPL BALLER

• RS locked this topic