Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

23 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Most likely an amateur or at very best semi-pro from lower-level Sweden . . . wait, he played in the Superettan last season?!?

For a team that averaged 1158 spectators per game and got relegated by the looks of things, but still a step up from the sort of clubs some other players have been coming from.

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

For a team that averaged 1158 spectators per game and got relegated by the looks of things, but still a step up from the sort of clubs some other players have been coming from.

Congrats on finding a new angle to disparage the league! I was worried that you would have to actually concede that what has been built so far is above your expectations. However now that I see your new approach, I think you'll have lots of legs to slam the league for the first few years. Added to that any new mistakes the league will make in marketing and structure etc, you should be able to continue your condescending barbs for well into the first five years.

Just a quick reminder however, make sure you discount anything that doesn't fit your narrative and make take ridiculous leaps with info you get from REDDIT as fact just so long as it reinforces what you think.

...and Port City were not going to move to Victoria, because there was no way the CSA would have sanctioned them under those circumstances. Remember how off base you were on that and how what I was writing at the time ultimately turned out to match reality? In general, it's a good thing that a low budget approach has been adopted, because this league isn't going to make it if the franchises run up seven figure losses per season like FCE and the Fury did in the now defunct NASL. So far, I'm quite impressed by what the Forge and Pacific FC are putting together under these circumstances, but not so sure about the Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg teams. York and Halifax lie somewhere in between.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Forge should sign Quillan Roberts as they need a keeper.  Is that an expected move or is he linked to anywhere else?

This would be a great signing. Honestly, keeper is the position I thought we would see the most familiar names at, and I've been really surprised not to see Stillo, Roberts, Smits, DeBellis, Wirth, Irving, etc... Lots of good keepers to be had. 

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and Port City were not going to move to Victoria, because there was no way the CSA would have sanctioned them under those circumstances. Remember how off base you were on that and how what I was writing at the time ultimately turned out to match reality? In general, it's a good thing that a low budget approach has been adopted, because this league isn't going to make it if the franchises run up seven figure losses per season like FCE and the Fury did in the now defunct NASL. So far, I'm quite impressed by what the Forge and Pacific FC are putting together under these circumstances, but not so sure about the Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg teams. York and Halifax lie somewhere in between.

Yep and I also thought for sure that Ottawa would join year one. Are we going through the times that we were wrong about the league? I want to find out how far down the rabbit hole this thing goes.

Honestly though, I really should post about other things more relevant to what's actually happening with the league and no a  $500,000 salary cap is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...the Sigma trend continues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuliano_Frano

I literally was trying to guess how many minutes it would take you to post this.  I figured it would be less than an hour and you barely made it, I was getting worried.  

I think we've all noticed the trend, and I've been expecting this signing for some time.  Team is looking good, no complaints other than too few players so far!

OMG, Forge signed another player from one of the top academies in Canada?  And he’s played with most of his teammates?  Oh no!  

Its like starting a new club in Netherlands and going “they signed another former feyenoord/Ajax youth”.  What a tragedy!  Us Forge supporters are really worried about the amount of talent and cohesion we’re recruiting... 

I do wonder about this strategy. MLS is starting to spend significant $$$. Yet so many matches are close to unwatchable. There is so much turnover on these squads with all the goofy rules it does make you wonder if CPL are on to something. With the possible exception of Valour, all the clubs are drawing from pools of players very familiar with one another. Pacific for example has multiple players who played under Dutch coaches Grootscholten and Chafour. Guys like Fisk were part of an era in the Residency that played very attractive football, certainly in comparison to the parent club playing Soehn/Rennie/Robinson ball.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Yes, I've been expecting them.  All seem similar levels to the players other teams have been signing as depth.

1 minute ago, badname22 said:

I wouldn't mind them 3 signing but I think grant is the only starter.

Agreed.  Although Mohsen at left back  is intriguing for the future, Ottawa rated him enough to sign him at 17.  

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Yes, I've been expecting them.  All seem similar levels to the players other teams have been signing as depth.

Agreed.  Although Mohsen at left back  is intriguing for the future, Ottawa rated him enough to sign him at 17.  

They were in desperate need of a left back at the moment if I remember correctly. Left-footers are always in demand. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'd put money on Grant, Samuel, and Henry.

That said, I thought Grant went overseas right after the 2018 season, so I don't know if he's ready to come back yet.

• RS locked this topic