Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

No disrespect to Brym but we have a guy like ZBG who can play outside in midfield or defence - he should get called over Bryan who is well down the depth chart up front.  Realistically, in a game that really matters, I suspect we even try some other wide players (e.g. Davies, Hoilett, etc) in more central attacking positions to get the most quality on the field rather than put Bryan on expecting to get a result.  Just not sold he is ready to make a contribution.  

My bet is that Hoillet is definitely moving into the middle.  This means that with Tajon out, this leaves a bit of a hole on the right side of the attack with (relatively) untested options in Corbeanu, Koleosho and Brym (assuming that Laryea plays a more defensive role).  They'll have to fight it out but they're all unknowns at this level and any of them might get exposed in the friendlies.

I actually see the right side as a bigger hole than central midfield.  Eustaquio is a given and will partner with 1 or 2 of any of Piette, Kone, Kaye, Hoillet, Osorio, or even David (in a three man midfield).  I can't think of any combination there that makes me more nervous than what might be on the right side.  Definitely excited for those guys, especially Corbeanu and Koleosho but would understand why this will be an experiment and a couple options will be tried.

55 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I know I mentioned in pervious threads that I thought he didn't really have a chance but now I'm thinking he's closer to making it after being called upon so early.  Or maybe he's one the players Herdman wants to see more of before making his final cuts.

We've all had several opportunities to see what Brym brings, and it ain't much.

18 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I didn’t think he did too badly. He ran hard, caused a turnover from the GK. Made a good run and drew a foul. He looks stronger than I remember too

My thoughts exactly, I think he’s got the potential to be a decent player. Still doesn’t mean I think he should be in the squad but not as bad as everyone is saying.

What did everyone think of Liam’s 16th appearance? He’s been at almost every Herdman camp possible albeit maybe 1 or 2. I personally hate that I always bring him up, but it’s literally for this reason/comparison.

Or even Ike Ugbo….it’s so easy to scrutinize Brym and turn a blind eye to others.

Theres a reason why Herdman rates him, and tbh I believe he’ll come good - maybe not by Qatar and but that’s fine in my eyes.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

What did everyone think of Liam’s 16th appearance? He’s been at almost every Herdman camp possible albeit maybe 1 or 2. I personally hate that I always bring him up, but it’s literally for this reason/comparison.

Or even Ike Ugbo….it’s so easy to scrutinize Brym and turn a blind eye to others.

Theres a reason why Herdman rates him, and tbh I believe he’ll come good - maybe not by Qatar and but that’s fine in my eyes.

Brym was fine. I don't think he was any worse than the other players you mentioned.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I found myself wondering why Millar has never been given a shot in the role Brym played today. Like how is a guy at FC Eindhoven coming in ahead of one of the best players on Basel? 

Because Millar only plays on one side! He plays down the left and is effective down the left. He play CF at youth ball at Liverpool but professionally hasnt been deployed there other than a few times at the Killies. He likes the option of cutting in on his right, which he does a lot.

Im convinced a lot of you haven’t really watched his club football, but just tune into fotmob. 

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

My thoughts exactly, I think he’s got the potential to be a decent player. Still doesn’t mean I think he should be in the squad but not as bad as everyone is saying.

Potential? He's 24 years old. He should be in or quickly approaching his prime. And he's out on load to a dutch 2nd tier team...

I think those of us that watched the Olympic U23 qualifying are still hungover with how little Brym and other guys like Bair showed in that tourney. They were atrocious like just terrible stuff. 

So yes it’s a little hard to understand how he’s been promoted to the best senior squad we’ve ever had… meanwhile other guys from that team like Tabla who showed better are buried deep in the CPL light years away from the mens team. 

Edited by grigorio

It seems that Brym was the David's replacement yesterday, which makes me wonder if Herdman will attempt to groom him as a long term backup to David. They have similar qualities (obviously Brym is nowhere near as good), but they can both play in those pockets up front, with their close control and technique.

What's holding Brym back, in my opinion, is his lack of concentration for his final ball. If he was sharper there he's be an Eredivisie player, no question.  

Anyways, I have decided I wouldn't be bothered if we invested elsewhere. I am ready to move on from Brym until he figures that out. He's already 24 years old, so he's not really young any more. I would much prefer Corbeanu get those minutes. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

I liked what I saw from Millar. I generally do. He was very "punchy" as someone described it. Lots of energy and obvious skill.

I almost feel that he's too good to be part of our second unit, but not good enough to be part of our top unit (or it feels better to say he's simply the odd man out). Davies and Buchanan are just more consistently effective.

However, I also get the sense he'd break through for Canada if he had a run of consecutive games starting with the top guys. It still feels like the best is yet to come from Millar, which you can't say about some other players, like Brym (with all due respect).

Edited by Obinna

He was definitely noticeable when he came in with his emergy and willingness to close down and play direct.

Still, there's definitely something missing from his performances, especially when compared to watching him play for Basel. He just looks less comfortable, like he's at a tryout or something. I get the sense he's thinking too much and that dulls some of his sharpness and delays his decision-making.