Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

In regards to the comparison of who will get to go to Qatar between Brym and Corbeanu, I am reminded of figure skating. 

Back in the day we had two skaters, Emanuel Sandhu and Jeffrey Buttle, Sandhu was one of the most talented skaters in the world, easily had all the skills and potential to be world champion.  But in big international competitions he often choked. 

Buttle on the other hand, often never achieved perfection, but would do just well enough (better than his competitors) to take home international medals. 

The moral of this story kids is you can't wait around for potential forever, sometimes you just have settle for less than perfection.  Skate Canada was more than generous with potential way back in the day and were not rewarded.  The attitude shifted to what have you done for me lately rather than what is your future potential.  It turned out to be a far better strategy.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

In regards to the comparison of who will get to go to Qatar between Brym and Corbeanu, I am reminded of figure skating. 

Back in the day we had two skaters, Emanuel Sandhu and Jeffrey Buttle, Sandhu was one of the most talented skaters in the world, easily had all the skills and potential to be world champion.  But in big international competitions he often choked. 

Buttle on the other hand, often never achieved perfection, but would do just well enough (better than his competitors) to take home international medals. 

The moral of this story kids is you can't wait around for potential forever, sometimes you just have settle for less than perfection.  Skate Canada was more than generous with potential way back in the day and were not rewarded.  The attitude shifted to what have you done for me lately rather than what is your future potential.  It turned out to be a far better strategy.

Cool story but who is who. I’m confused because this sounds like you should’ve posted this in someone else’s thread.

Both those guys have done well when they’ve got their limited opportunities playing for the CMNT. Specifically Brym, nothing spectacular nothing lacking.

We need bonafide attackers/playmakers and less two-way players with the plethora of defensive wide options we have in Adekugbe, Laryea, Johnston, and the additional options in Davies, Buchanan, and Hoilett. 

Based on the last camp, and who played. I still think the battle is down to 2 of 3 guys in Brym, Corbeanu, and Millar….and current form regardless of level, might determine who makes it in. So I won’t be surprised if 1 of those guys aren’t included as none of them are “locks”.

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

Cool story but who is who. I’m confused because this sounds like you should’ve posted this in someone else’s thread.

Both those guys have done well when they’ve got their limited opportunities playing for the CMNT. Specifically Brym, nothing spectacular nothing lacking.

We need bonafide attackers/playmakers and less two-way players with the plethora of defensive wide options we have in Adekugbe, Laryea, Johnston, and the additional options in Davies, Buchanan, and Hoilett. 

Based on the last camp, and who played. I still think the battle is down to 2 of 3 guys in Brym, Corbeanu, and Millar….and current form regardless of level, might determine who makes it in. So I won’t be surprised if 1 of those guys aren’t included as none of them are “locks”.

Yeah, Brym's biggest negative was one U23 Olympic Qualifying camp where Tajon was the only player who looked good on the field. For the most part, he has looked alright. Those who harp on him remind me of the earlier days of Samuel Piette on these boards. Took a long time to let go of a few little fuckups that were well in the past.

This guys in his Eredivisie cameos was flabbergasted by the lack of time and space he had and was immediately sent back down when Sparta relaized he wasn't at the level. He takes the pitch at the World Cup he's going to be flabbergasted again.

I just don't see him being on this team. As a project for 2026? He needs to stick in the Eredivisie.

50 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This guys in his Eredivisie cameos was flabbergasted by the lack of time and space he had and was immediately sent back down when Sparta relaized he wasn't at the level. He takes the pitch at the World Cup he's going to be flabbergasted again.

I just don't see him being on this team. As a project for 2026? He needs to stick in the Eredivisie.

If there wasn't a World Cup in November Brym would still be with Sparta Rotterdam. He was loaned out after 4 games, I'm almost certain it's because he wanted more playing time to have the best chance to make the WC squad. 

21 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

If there wasn't a World Cup in November Brym would still be with Sparta Rotterdam. He was loaned out after 4 games, I'm almost certain it's because he wanted more playing time to have the best chance to make the WC squad. 

A guy who wants to be demoted from Dutch top flight for more playing time after a few weeks, just to get to the World Cup, should be nowhere near the World Cup.

Don't get me wrong, but this is how I see it: playing and even scoring in Dutch second tier isn't even a half-decent argument for a call-up. Occasional minutes in Eredivisie and maybe a goal or two, is a commanding argument. If he had minutes and even 2 goals with Sparta he'd be playing and performing at the same level as Larin: logic that is hard to dispute.

2nd tier Holland, where he was last year, at that level, lets most of the air out of the tires and leaves things flat.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I'm pretty sure Brym was sent down because he couldn't handle top flight- the part about getting on the world cup roster is an added bonus. For those who watch more than I do, how does the Dutch second div match up to like... the CPL? Crowds seem to be around the same size from what I can tell.

I take Corbeanu over him any day, but I think the feedback he gets from basically every coach is the same feedback Herdman has in that he's one of our most talented players, but whether that translates to winning soccer is another story. Whether or not Brym plays this "winning soccer" is up for debate, but Herdman seems to trust him more. The closer we get to Qatar, the less I can picture Herdman throwing Corbeanu in as a hail mary in a game we desperately need a result from, which is what is Theo's best fit for the roster.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I'm pretty sure Brym was sent down because he couldn't handle top flight- the part about getting on the world cup roster is an added bonus. For those who watch more than I do, how does the Dutch second div match up to like... the CPL? Crowds seem to be around the same size from what I can tell.

I take Corbeanu over him any day, but I think the feedback he gets from basically every coach is the same feedback Herdman has in that he's one of our most talented players, but whether that translates to winning soccer is another story. Whether or not Brym plays this "winning soccer" is up for debate, but Herdman seems to trust him more. The closer we get to Qatar, the less I can picture Herdman throwing Corbeanu in as a hail mary in a game we desperately need a result from, which is what is Theo's best fit for the roster.

The thing for me is Corbeamu is doing better than him and is four years younger too. You'd think that would win out.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The thing for me is Corbeamu is doing better than him and is four years younger too. You'd think that would win out.

I don't think age is a factor here, because the intent isn't to develop players, it's to play your best players, regardless of where they are at in their career. Herdman can also point to Corbeanu's 8 (9?) game goalless streak and being relegated from starter, to super sub, to a guy that plays 10 minutes a game.

Not saying you are wrong though, and if it was up to me, Corbeanu would be there. I'm not convinced Herdman sees things the same way though.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think age is a factor here, because the intent isn't to develop players, it's to play your best players, regardless of where they are at in their career. Herdman can also point to Corbeanu's 8 (9?) game goalless streak and being relegated from starter, to super sub, to a guy that plays 10 minutes a game.

Not saying you are wrong though, and if it was up to me, Corbeanu would be there. I'm not convinced Herdman sees things the same way though.

Thank you. I've said this so many times! 
International ball is always about current form, what are you doing now! and less about your future potential.

Levels are taken into account, but imo if you're not playing in the top 5 leagues...it starts getting murky when you start comparing the lower leagues. Like what's Dutch D2 to  EFL League 1, what's the SPFL to the Swiss League, or what's the Greek Super League to the 2. Bundesliga or to Ligue 2. If you start looking at coefficients to get a better perspective it starts getting really dicey.

For example Theo Bair is playing in a "better ranked league"  on a mid table team and is performing at the same rate as some of these guys but doesn't get a mention. Why? 

Diyadinne Abzi is playing in Ligue 2 with Pau, getting some decent minutes in his first season and won't probably get a sniff while Derek Corneilius is being considered in the squad while playing in the first division in Greece. Why?

It comes down to skillsets, form, and how have they previously done when given opportunities. 

The coaching staff could be looking at those 3 guys (Brym, Corbeanu, and Millar) and say if given 5-10 minutes which one of these guys are more likely to contribute an assist or score a goal, and will look at the optics, current and past performances to make that decision, and less about where they are currently playing.

Corbeanu is an easy pick for me, I keep referencing the game against Mexico when he came on and he just showed how tenacious he can be, the other two guys are a toss up because neither of them have done anything significant in a Canada jersey where I can say this one is clearly better or can be a game changer.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Thank you. I've said this so many times! 
International ball is always about current form, what are you doing now! and less about your future potential.

Levels are taken into account, but imo if you're not playing in the top 5 leagues...it starts getting murky when you start comparing the lower leagues. Like what's Dutch D2 to  EFL League 1, what's the SPFL to the Swiss League, or what's the Greek Super League to the 2. Bundesliga or to Ligue 2. If you start looking at coefficients to get a better perspective it starts getting really dicey.

For example Theo Bair is playing in a "better ranked league"  on a mid table team and is performing at the same rate as some of these guys but doesn't get a mention. Why? 

Diyadinne Abzi is playing in Ligue 2 with Pau, getting some decent minutes in his first season and won't probably get a sniff while Derek Corneilius is being considered in the squad while playing in the first division in Greece. Why?

It comes down to skillsets, form, and how have they previously done when given opportunities. 

The coaching staff could be looking at those 3 guys (Brym, Corbeanu, and Millar) and say if given 5-10 minutes which one of these guys are more likely to contribute an assist or score a goal, and will look at the optics, current and past performances to make that decision, and less about where they are currently playing.

Corbeanu is an easy pick for me, I keep referencing the game against Mexico when he came on and he just showed how tenacious he can be, the other two guys are a toss up because neither of them have done anything significant in a Canada jersey where I can say this one is clearly better or can be a game changer.

It's funny, because so much of the discourse around any sport is around future potential, prospects, etc. Especially for a national team like ours, we've spent the last 4 years looking at players for what they might be like in 2022, so to shift to a mindset of just straight up taking your best 26 players as of November 2022 isn't always an easy change in perspective. A guy like Kone is 20 and has loads of potential, but you are picking him because he's one of your best players, not because you want him to gel with the team for when he's playing in the premier league in 2025.

Beyond the top 5 leagues, you also have to go with who you know. I think Abzi as mostly a substitute for Pau and doesn't have the same pedigree as Cornelius, but assuming they did, and assuming Ligue 2 and Greece are similar level, it's not a good team building strategy to just call in random new guys because of the club they play for or their stat line. I'm a big Abzi guy too- he's really figuring it out in Ligue 2, and if he sticks around next season, I think we can expect him to be a regular starter, and I'd love to get a look at him for Nations League, if not Gold Cup. Herdman's main focus is preparing his team to be competitive, working on integrating new faces is a job in and of itself, so guys like Abzi, Simon Colyn, Theo Bair, Richie Ennin, etc., while you might tilt your head and see them being good selections maybe, you're not going to pick them unless they are markedly better than the guys currently on the team, because theose guys know how the team works.

We'll have the next 4 years to figure out how to optimize all of these other players, and shift our focus away from players who have peaked and are regressing, but for now, it's about putting all your chips down and sending your very best players to Qatar. I think Corbeanu is currently one of those guys, but I can at least understand why Herdman would disagree and go with Brym.

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's funny, because so much of the discourse around any sport is around future potential, prospects, etc. Especially for a national team like ours, we've spent the last 4 years looking at players for what they might be like in 2022, so to shift to a mindset of just straight up taking your best 26 players as of November 2022 isn't always an easy change in perspective. A guy like Kone is 20 and has loads of potential, but you are picking him because he's one of your best players, not because you want him to gel with the team for when he's playing in the premier league in 2025.

Beyond the top 5 leagues, you also have to go with who you know. I think Abzi as mostly a substitute for Pau and doesn't have the same pedigree as Cornelius, but assuming they did, and assuming Ligue 2 and Greece are similar level, it's not a good team building strategy to just call in random new guys because of the club they play for or their stat line. I'm a big Abzi guy too- he's really figuring it out in Ligue 2, and if he sticks around next season, I think we can expect him to be a regular starter, and I'd love to get a look at him for Nations League, if not Gold Cup. Herdman's main focus is preparing his team to be competitive, working on integrating new faces is a job in and of itself, so guys like Abzi, Simon Colyn, Theo Bair, Richie Ennin, etc., while you might tilt your head and see them being good selections maybe, you're not going to pick them unless they are markedly better than the guys currently on the team, because theose guys know how the team works.

We'll have the next 4 years to figure out how to optimize all of these other players, and shift our focus away from players who have peaked and are regressing, but for now, it's about putting all your chips down and sending your very best players to Qatar. I think Corbeanu is currently one of those guys, but I can at least understand why Herdman would disagree and go with Brym.

Really like this post. 

I think that there is some room for the discussion off including prospects. The 26th guy is a player who probably wont see the field, if you have a player who for argument sake is an 80/100 without much more potential, and a young prospect who is 79/100 with loads of potential, who do you take (assuming all other factors are equal). Its tough to say that you take the best player because the difference is marginal and the WC experience for the prospect could be a smart long term play. Now add in a potential cap tie for a guy like koleosho and I am not sure its black and white that you always choose the best player. Obviously as the gap in quality widens, it becomes more difficult to pick potential over quality.

Picking guys like smith, jebbison (cap tie aside), or dias would be too much towards picking potential, but corbeanu is for sure in the convo and koleosho isnt far off (maybe im bias for the cap tie). 

13 minutes ago, Edgewater17 said:

Is Brym injured? I didn't notice him on the team sheet for Eindhoven today in their 3-0 win.

Is he on some secret reserve team in Qatar awaiting a potential injury to one of the 26 selected?

MacNaughton seems to be there in a taxi-squad capacity so it isn’t impossible that they took a few extra guys to make sure they always had enough healthy bodies to have some scrimmages.  Probably not but I wouldn’t be shocked.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

MacNaughton seems to be there in a taxi-squad capacity so it isn’t impossible that they took a few extra guys to make sure they always had enough healthy bodies to have some scrimmages.  Probably not but I wouldn’t be shocked.  

Good point, I just saw the instagram story of MacNaughton in Doha as well. Happy to see another CPL alumni be around the area to soak up the World Cup experience.

Also I probably should have done my research haha, I found this from Brym's instagram story. Looks like he attended the game but was in the stands for some reason.

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 5.12.28 PM.png

edit: made the mistake of Bryn vs. Brym haha

Edited by Edgewater17

• 4 weeks later...