Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Because Millar only plays on one side! He plays down the left and is effective down the left. He play CF at youth ball at Liverpool but professionally hasnt been deployed there other than a few times at the Killies. He likes the option of cutting in on his right, which he does a lot.

Im convinced a lot of you haven’t really watched his club football, but just tune into fotmob. 

Thank you for proving my point. He has played CF. I know his current position, but thats not my point. We have a few players who don’t play the same position they do for their clubs.

Another thing that gets mentioned with Brym is his age and how he can be around for next cycles. But will he be? Look at the players we’re developing and it’s hard to believe Brym won’t be well surpassed by 2026, if he isn’t already. 

32 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Thank you for proving my point. He has played CF. I know his current position, but thats not my point. We have a few players who don’t play the same position they do for their clubs.

Another thing that gets mentioned with Brym is his age and how he can be around for next cycles. But will he be? Look at the players we’re developing and it’s hard to believe Brym won’t be well surpassed by 2026, if he isn’t already. 

Name the players who don’t play the same position for their clubs, and don’t name Davies go!

Again I’ll say it, you clearly don’t watch him if your suggesting that you want to see him at CF.

Who are the players that we are developing that aren’t in the current pool? 

All I’m saying is I watched both guys play, and my reaction was the exact same of jonovision. Nobody’s performance stood out as good or bad…. so put the pitchforks away. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I liked what I saw from Millar. I generally do. He was very "punchy" as someone described it. Lots of energy and obvious skill.

I almost feel that he's too good to be part of our second unit, but not good enough to be part of our top unit (or it feels better to say he's simply the odd man out). Davies and Buchanan are just more consistently effective.

However, I also get the sense he'd break through for Canada if he had a run of consecutive games starting with the top guys. It still feels like the best is yet to come from Millar, which you can't say about some other players, like Brym (with all due respect).

Out of the “second” unit he’s has the most opportunities, and has had several starts. The problem is he hasn’t taken advantage of them. He hasn’t showed out like he can or like Buchanan did when he got the opportunity….or even like how Corbeanu played. 

I feel he lacks the confidence, and battles between two minds it seems. Like there was a play when it was a breakout, a pass from Kone set him free to a 1v1 and he was indecisive and he got jammed by the defender. It’s moments like that where I’m like go on kid, take him , take him like you e done at Basel, take him like you’ve done at Charlton….he may need a run of games to get comfortable but this is international ball. You gotta take advantage of the time you get. 

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Brym was fine. I don't think he was any worse than the other players you mentioned.

For sure…there’s a really weird hatemob out against him. Critique his 200 minutes, and neglect others “shorter” comings. It’s beyond me….actually it isn’t, because I’ve said multiple times I understand why. 

We can’t bring up where guys play as a barometric for why xyz…I’ve done that in the past already. If that was the case Richie Ennin would’ve been in the squad.

You cant hold criticism to the sporadic call ups, and then turn a blind eye to the regulars. It’s ass backwards. 

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

No clue why he is playing ahead of other players.

Same here. As long as he does not see the pitch against Uruguay and does not get called for WC. Still glad to have him in our program, and I enjoy following his career, but I hate to see him play instead of Theo and Koleosho.

I don’t think there is any hate for Brym. Actually I would guess that virtually everyone on this board would love for Brym to be a modern day Gerba where he plays at a fairly low level but gets goals for our national team.
I think most just disagree that he should be involved right now based on a few factors, such as club situation and past national team performances. Brym isn’t terrible, but IMO he also isn’t good enough for minutes off the bench for our team at the minute. 

Edited by maccaliam

6 hours ago, kingvikingstad said:

He was definitely noticeable when he came in with his emergy and willingness to close down and play direct.

Still, there's definitely something missing from his performances, especially when compared to watching him play for Basel. He just looks less comfortable, like he's at a tryout or something. I get the sense he's thinking too much and that dulls some of his sharpness and delays his decision-making.

It feels that way to me as well, so I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to my guess he'd turn good with a starting role. The ability is there for sure, but it seems like he's overly anxious to impress. It's like he knows he's good enough, but is trying too hard to prove it, or something.

I think he just needs to keep working hard, while not putting pressure on himself to impress. With the skill and talent he has, it's just a matter of time before he converts his chances and gets more starts. Long term I think him, Buchanan, Corbeanu (and hopefully Koleosho) will all take turns being that "other" winger opposite of Davies. Right now Buchanan is in the driver's seat right now, but I don't think he'll pull away and leave the other two in his dust if they reach their potential. 

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Name the players who don’t play the same position for their clubs, and don’t name Davies go!

Again I’ll say it, you clearly don’t watch him if your suggesting that you want to see him at CF.

Who are the players that we are developing that aren’t in the current pool? 

All I’m saying is I watched both guys play, and my reaction was the exact same of jonovision. Nobody’s performance stood out as good or bad…. so put the pitchforks away. 

Dude? Johnston? Millar (ironically)? We’ve had Hutchinson, Buchanan and Laryea all play different roles. Are you not watching this team? Is your argument that it’s okay if Millar plays out of position at LWB, which he’s never played, but CF is out of question?

I’m cheering for Brym... we all are. I just don’t see why he’s here. He must be incredible in training. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Out of the “second” unit he’s has the most opportunities, and has had several starts. The problem is he hasn’t taken advantage of them. He hasn’t showed out like he can or like Buchanan did when he got the opportunity….or even like how Corbeanu played. 

That's a fair take. The other side is that soccer is a game of bounces. Correct me if I am misremembering, but he had a very good chance to score against NZ on his debut, but failed to convert. Had that gone in, we may have seen a much different tragectory. He may have went on to convert another chance for Canada then, and so forth. For all we know, that may have even carried over to where Millar would be the starter today, and Buchanan would be the substitute.

Now, I know we can apply this to any player, and contemplate how things may have been different with a break here and there, but my point is that Millar (in my eyes) is not a chronic chance waster at the club level, which is why I think it's simply a matter of time with Canada. That plays into your point about being caught in two minds, or lacking confidence (or we can say decisiveness), but these are just different ways to say the same thing: Millar will figure it out as he grows as a player. He's too good not to, which is evidenced by his club trajectory, along with the chances he creates for himself and others with Canada. 

With Brym I think it's somewhat different. He is talented, but he's not exactly giving opponents fits when he plays for Canada, like Millar does. He did against Barabdos, but that hardly counts. Getting sent away on loan to Belenenses, Mouscron, and now FC Eindhovan feels like the same movie on repeat, doesn't it? He is 24 years old and I fear Brym's lack of sharpness is chronic, whereas Millar's feels situational and temporary, otherwise he wouldn't be a regular for Basel. 

Edited by Obinna

@Obinna I’ll also add that Millar was MOTM against New Zealand in his debut as an 18 year old. 

Also, it would actually be better if we could call Brym a movie on repeat. He went from being loaned to the Portuguese first division to the Belgian first division to the Dutch second division. But for his transfer and two appearances with Sparta his club level is on decline. 

I’m hoping he can impress and get back to Sparta to win a spot... but that’s not happening before the World Cup. 

For comparison, Andrew Ornoch was a good player in the Dutch second division 10-15 years ago and he wasn’t even a Canada call up. 

Brym getting called, and especially playing is just another weird little mystery around the team.  Calling injured players to camps instead of breaking in the next man in the depth chart is another.  I know we cant complain (or get shouted down if we do) because we have qualified but it sure seems like a lot of strange things have been going on for awhile now.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Brym getting called, and especially playing is just another weird little mystery around the team.  Calling injured players to camps instead of breaking in the next man in the depth chart is another.  I know we cant complain (or get shouted down if we do) because we have qualified but it sure seems like a lot of strange things have been going on for awhile now.  

Agreed. I would have preferred to se Shaffelburg called ahead of Brym.

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not this cycle, the WC, because we can't expect a lot nor be upset with poor results; but by next summer if Herdman is with us, the pressure, demands and end of the Cinderella story might mean these things, irritating as they are, might become more clearly and unequivocally assinine. 

And more so if we're not winning the Nation's League or making a final.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

About time. He'll have to score even more to have a realistic chance of making Qatar, I figure.

(let's see if this works again)

:)

I was mostly joking- I still maintain that Herdman has a spot or two open for whoever is most in form out of all those cusp players. If between the Uruguay friendly and the Japan friendly, Theo scores 3 goals and Brym scores 5, then Brym is going to Qatar, and if vice versa, then it's Corbeanu. In a perfect world though, he should be leading his team in goals (since his arrival) to even be considered for a spot on the plane, but I think if he scores a couple more, he's gonna be on the team.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I was mostly joking- I still maintain that Herdman has a spot or two open for whoever is most in form out of all those cusp players. If between the Uruguay friendly and the Japan friendly, Theo scores 3 goals and Brym scores 5, then Brym is going to Qatar, and if vice versa, then it's Corbeanu. In a perfect world though, he should be leading his team in goals (since his arrival) to even be considered for a spot on the plane, but I think if he scores a couple more, he's gonna be on the team.

Who do you think are cusp players. Those two guys could have spots.

Edited by Shway

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Those two guys, Liam Fraser, Liam Millar (I think he's close to a lock), Koleosho, and I guess if you wanna expand the list, guys like Ennin or Colyn could come out of nowhere and go goal per game here on out and maybe get a chance.

I think Millar is in already, but the rest I would agree with. 

Actually, Colyn doesn't have a prayer. Way too late for him, unless he somehow breaks into the PSV first team and makes an impact. The World Cup is coming way too soon for such a thing, though. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

About time. He'll have to score even more to have a realistic chance of making Qatar, I figure.

(let's see if this works again)

:)

Colyn pissing on Brym's party (scored late for Jong PSV).

All the good metaphors I can come up with for their tiff to get the 26 spot to Qatar are terribly sexist, what's wrong with the English language?

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Millar is in already, but the rest I would agree with. 

Actually, Colyn doesn't have a prayer. Way too late for him, unless he somehow breaks into the PSV first team and makes an impact. The World Cup is coming way too soon for such a thing, though. 

Yeah, Colyn is so far on the edges, probably not worth mentioning him. If he starts scoring at the same pace Jonathan David currently is, and Herdman is looking for that player he can throw in as a hail mary, 85th minute against belgium down 1-0 and canada hasn't had a single shot on goal all game and you want to get creative, then I can see him being there, but the more I think about it, the more I think the "cusp" of the roster is basically just Corbeanu, Brym, Koleosho, and maybe Fraser, but I have not been impressed with Fraser at all this year, so I think 2 of the 3 I mentioned make it.