Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

AbncPqL.jpg

This is a nice stadium! One thing that took me a moment to realize is that there is not 10,000 parking stalls. I would love to visit The Netherlands to really take in their transportation system. 

Edit; Changed Amsterdam to The Netherlands. 

Edited by RandomGuy

Still a little worried about this move, it won't be easy for an attacker to boost his stats playing for Sparta.  There are a couple of flags looking at the table

Sparta is obviously a very defensive team, very respectable goals against record, however 2nd lowest scoring team in the league.  30 goals in 34 games.  Avoided relegation by 1 point.  Might be difficult for him to stand out.

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

A bit about Sparta Rotterdam (via Wikipedia)

Established on April 1, 1888, Sparta Rotterdam is the oldest professional football team in the Netherlands.

Sparta currently compete in the Eredivisie, the top flight of Dutch professional football, which they have won 6 times, having earned promotion from the Eerste Divisie in 2018–19. The club is one of three professional football clubs from Rotterdam, the others being Excelsior (est. 1902) and Feyenoord (est. 1908).

The first match at Sparta's new stadium, Het Kasteel (The Castle), in the Spangen area of west Rotterdam, was played on 14 October 1916. The stadium was renovated in 1999 and is still Sparta's stadium.

It has a capacity of 11,026. The name "Het Kasteel" is derived from the small building with two small towers which backs onto the south-facing tribune (Kasteel Stand) of the stadium, which looks similar to a castle. This building is the only authentical remain of the original design. The castle building, which is currently located along the length of the pitch, was originally positioned behind one of the goals.

LouVtR9.jpg

AbncPqL.jpg

Absolutely beautiful job of merging the old with the new in this stadium.  Total jewel!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

This is a nice stadium! One thing that took me a moment to realize is that there is not 10,000 parking stalls. I would love to visit Amsterdam to really take in their transportation system. 

That is Rotterdam, never been.

In Amsterdam you walk and bike, bus if you have to go a bit further.

I did my semester abroad in Rotterdam. Biking is still the norm. Different architecture than Amsterdam as it had to essentially be completely rebuilt post WW2 due to heavy bombing since it is key port city. Still has the same biking set up which made for some interesting rides home from the bar. I saw Excelsior play as there stadium is right across from the University, but unfortunately didn't make it to a Sparta game. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

This is a nice stadium! One thing that took me a moment to realize is that there is not 10,000 parking stalls. I would love to visit Amsterdam to really take in their transportation system. 

Amsterdam is the best and worst city to get around in. On one hand, it’s completely flat and thus easy to get around on bike, especially considering the city is far smaller than what you’d expect from a major city, but on the other hand, cars, bikes and pedestrians all go at a different pace with bikes and cars having their own street lights, so you need to be fully engaged and aware of your surroundings if you wanna walk around, because everyone bikes, and they bike real fast. 

the tram system is also pretty solid too, even intercity. In my broker days, I tried getting a deal on a train from Amsterdam to Hamburg, not knowing I had accidentally booked a ticket on the municipal trains, and I was still able to arrive to my destination in 4-5 hours, even considering I basically had to ride like 4 different cities’ ‘I ici pal railways.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Still a little worried about this move, it won't be easy for an attacker to boost his stats playing for Sparta.  There are a couple of flags looking at the table

Sparta is obviously a very defensive team, very respectable goals against record, however 2nd lowest scoring team in the league.  30 goals in 34 games.  Avoided relegation by 1 point.  Might be difficult for him to stand out.

Good points. Considering all of that I doubt Brym is going to replicate what he did last season with Sparta. 

I would be happy just to see him play somewhat regularly at this level and score at least a couple of goals.

3-5 goals would definitely be a successful season in my eyes, and anymore would be overachieving big time, which may be what he needs to do to get NT calls on a regular basis.

21 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think his contribution would have to be significant.  Just getting "minutes" on a poor Eredivisie team shouldn't guarantee him a spot on the World Cup squad. 

Remember, Brym will be competing with the likes of Ugbo, Akinola, etc. What other forwards would he be competing with? 

He'a been getting called up despite playing at a lowet level. Herdman clearly ratea him as it is, and if he is getting minutes on a Dutch first division team then its really a no brainer. 

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

He'a been getting called up despite playing at a lowet level. Herdman clearly ratea him as it is, and if he is getting minutes on a Dutch first division team then its really a no brainer. 

I somewhat agree. It's true he's been getting calls despite playing at a lower level, so now playing at a better level should cement his place further. However, it's not like he's been a regular call up. I think this is only his 3rd camp, 4th if you exclude the Jan 2021 training camp:

• First was Jan 2020 camp poutine, where he made his debut, scored, and won 3 caps.
  • Then it was the October window of the Ocho, where Larin, Hutchinson and (I believe) Hoilett were missing. He won caps in that window too (Jamaica and Mexico?).
  • And then the March window he participated, I believe. Can't recall which game he played in. Jamaica at home?

Anyhow, but of a tangent, I know, but my point is that while he's been getting call ups, he's actually missed out in more camps than he's participated in, so I wouldn't say it's a "no brainer" he makes the final roster. I would put it more like it "improves his chances". This is all assuming he plays decent minutes and isn't glued to the bench.

This Christmas I did some research to where my Opa grew up. Turns out it was 3 blocks away from Sparta so after some Google translated email exchanges and an international bank money transfer I got my dad and I shirts and adopted them as my Dutch team. Watched a couple games when I could figure out a way to watch Eredivisie games. They looked awful at times but lost a lot of tight games and were fun down the stretch pushing themselves out of last place. They had a game this year delayed because opposing fans were throwing bottles so they met later to play 5 minutes of the game which was interesting to say the least.

It’ll be nice to have someone to cheer for and someone to become more invested in. Been strange to see their social media accounts posting pictures of him in a Canada kit wishing him the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, VinceA said:

Jonathan de Guzman has joined him at Sparta. While I don't think much of him the team is having a good window which should mean they aren't a relegation risk.

Yesterday, I was watching a Dutch league highlight show on Eurosport which was showing Sparta vs Ajax.  I was surprised to see ol Jono still around and came here to see if it had been posted.  Nice to see Brym coming into the game and hopefully being a regular contributor.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the names called in the roster announcement for September 2022, would he be the guy who is the most "on the bubble"?

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-squad-for-september-2022-matches/

27 names called ( did I count correctly ? ) and only 26 can make the Final Roster for Qatar. 

If anybody is watching his club match today, please report on how he played.

No disrespect to Brym but we have a guy like ZBG who can play outside in midfield or defence - he should get called over Bryan who is well down the depth chart up front.  Realistically, in a game that really matters, I suspect we even try some other wide players (e.g. Davies, Hoilett, etc) in more central attacking positions to get the most quality on the field rather than put Bryan on expecting to get a result.  Just not sold he is ready to make a contribution.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

No disrespect to Brym but we have a guy like ZBG who can play outside in midfield or defence - he should get called over Bryan who is well down the depth chart up front.  Realistically, in a game that really matters, I suspect we even try some other wide players (e.g. Davies, Hoilett, etc) in more central attacking positions to get the most quality on the field rather than put Bryan on expecting to get a result.  Just not sold he is ready to make a contribution.  

ZBG or even get Mathieu Choiniere involved since he can play anywhere in midfield. 

I would assume Herdman rates CAB higher than ZBG because he’s closer to developing into a “tier one player”, but if he really was a last minute replacement, then the flight from Eindhoven to Bratislava is a lot quicker than from Montreal, assuming that the other players have all had their accommodations planned in advance.