Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

For what it's worth, he seems to be doing well and that's great to see. But besides playing in second-tier Holland, the mystification comes from his mediocre appearances for the national team. I just haven't been impressed with his play for Canada, and there are other players who would be much better options for Qatar at this point. That said, if he keeps up his form and plays in the Eredivisie next season, I think that would create a very strong case for him. 

This is also valid for someone else in the squad that has way more apps then him…but we all turn a blind eye.

I don’t remember Brym playing enough minutes for the Senior team to ever really gauge his performance. He was poor in the Olympic qualifiers but almost everyone was. I remember him getting subbed on late against Jamaica and Mexico in WCQ .

Right now his level seems to be a “good Dutch 2nd division player”. That shouldn’t be good enough to appear for a serious National team. He didn’t last long with Sparta unfortunately and he isn’t a kid anymore so you can’t bank on the potential angle.

There clearly must be a difference between what Herdman sees and what his various club managers have seen. The decisions of different managers over time have cumulated to seeing Brym be a good-to-very good player in the Dutch 2nd division, which by rights should be nowhere good enough, but Herdman must see something he likes that other managers either don't see or don't value.

That something may simply be the potential to be a top flight player. Eventually though, potential gives way to reality, and the reality is that Brym is 24 and has failed to stick around (let alone make an impact) in 3 different top flights (Portugal, Belgium, Holland).

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

I don’t remember Brym playing enough minutes for the Senior team to ever really gauge his performance. He was poor in the Olympic qualifiers but almost everyone was. I remember him getting subbed on late against Jamaica and Mexico in WCQ .

Exactly. He hasn't lit it up but hasn't played enough to stink the joint either.

His calls make sense - he's a player from our u23s trained in European youth systems with a pro Euro contract that has scored goals in a professional, second tier of decent European league.

It would be nice to see someone else - maybe Ennin? Could Millar play that role and get more minutes? Otherwise pickings were slim: Koleosho and Jebbison non-commital, Akinola hurt, Corbeanu unconvincing in a low-skill third tier, Amanda hurt and too new, Pepple unknown, Bair doesn't score. So for the garbage minutes he gets it is not a travesty that he gets called - it's not like he's out of the CPL or is Herdman's son-in-law.

But I get that with all the recent success we need something to gripe about.

Edited by The Real Marc

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

But I get that with all the recent success we need something to gripe about.

Welcome to the long standing tradition of the Voyageur Whipping Boy.  Every generation had one, Geoff Aunger was a particular time honoured favourite.  Unlike most, Brym abdicated the crown for a very brief  period before he was able to resume the throne.

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Brym the whipping boy???  Have you looked at any thread talking about Henry, you'd think he gave up a penalty or a red card in every game he ever played in.  Or Arfield, from the thread you'd think he personally led anti canadian protests all through the champions league.  

Godinho was a real whipping boy.

Brym not even in the same universe. 

Only thing about Brym is that it brings Herdman's judgment in to question. 

It’s actually funny, and more or less shows that some in this group is more biased than anything and it’s less about actual football knowledge or simply some just don’t want to admit they turn a blind eye because you can play U21 premier league ball and get call ups….oh that was a long time ago.
Wait…You can play D3 in England and still get call ups, get minutes, have average performances and still be in the team today.

As a fan, I hold all players accountable to what they do in their given playing time. I can’t dog on one guy, and completely forget the other guy. I can’t act as if a guy hasn’t had barely any minutes when another has and the results are comparable.

Give this kid a break. He wasn’t the result of us not getting full points in a game, or costing a place in the next round or something…

Compare this apple to the other like apple my friends. 

Edited by Shway

^ Not exactly sure who that message is for but just to be clear I want nothing but the best for Brym. Like, I want him to star for Real Madrid one day. But right now I see the callups and minutes he gets and scratch my head, because I think there are better options for the MNT. Just my 2 cents of course.

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Welcome to the long standing tradition of the Voyageur Whipping Boy.  Every generation had one, Geoff Aunger was a particular time honoured favourite.  Unlike most, Brym abdicated the crown for a very brief  period before he was able to resume the throne.

I remember being impressed that Aunger got picked up by MLS yet we Vees disliked him back in the day when we actually vouched for calling guys playing indoor soccer. Marco Rizi anyone? Guess we had standards even back then eh.

There was this one time that someone claiming to be Aunger posted a snarky message on the old N54 board telling us where to go.

Wonder if it was him and if so, Geoff if you're reading this that outburst was totally warranted! And someone, somewhere compiled tier favourite of your goals: 

Edited to add: there is a killer Graham Leggat quote in there on Jamaica: "They still insist - and persist - at pushing the ball around. That's the Brazilian influence. Unfortunately, they're just not very good at it." Off topic, I know. But him and Rauter were so much fun.

Edited by The Real Marc

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

^ Not exactly sure who that message is for but just to be clear I want nothing but the best for Brym. Like, I want him to star for Real Madrid one day. But right now I see the callups and minutes he gets and scratch my head, because I think there are better options for the MNT. Just my 2 cents of course.

Part of your post is cynical but okay, curious who do you think are the clear better options?

I scratched my head about a guy getting consistent call ups and not producing. Although I did this in the past about Piette and was completely wrong, however those were desperate times.

I’m curious, since when did we become soooo good that we can say “you have to be playing in a first division, top 50 European league, and average 70+ minutes” if not you should be overlooked or not considered? Is our pool THAT deep?

I think the guys outside of the 20 core guys should be strictly given caps/called into camp based on their club form…

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

I’m curious, since when did we become soooo good that we can say “you have to be playing in a first division, top 50 European league, and average 70+ minutes” if not you should be overlooked or not considered? Is our pool THAT deep?

But that sort of is what has happened though. Its the same reason why Tiebert doesn't get called anymore despite playing a lot of minutes for Vancouver. Or why Fraser won't get called while playing in the Belgian 2nd tier.

5 years ago guys like Shaffelburg, ZBG, Edwards would have been shoe ins based on their seasons in MLS. That's not the case anymore.

35 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Edited to add: there is a killer Graham Leggat quote in there on Jamaica: "They still insist - and persist - at pushing the ball around. That's the Brazilian influence. Unfortunately, they're just not very good at it." Off topic, I know. But him and Rauter were so much fun.

Berdusco, Berdusco..."Brazil caught dreaming" is still my fave.  I was just checking the source video to make sure I had it right and ironically the pass before the pass to Eddy was by non other than...wait for it...Geoff Aunger.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

As a fan, I hold all players accountable to what they do in their given playing time. I can’t dog on one guy, and completely forget the other guy. I can’t act as if a guy hasn’t had barely any minutes when another has and the results are comparable.

As a fan, I have to consider that not only does Herdman know more than me, not only about the game in general but about the present existing situation as well.  We know he talks to the player's coaches and has the intel.

"If a coach starts listening to the fans, he's going to wind up sitting next to them."  Marv Levy

9 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Welcome to the long standing tradition of the Voyageur Whipping Boy. 

And there have been a lot!  

Someone with media savvy could put together a Youtube video of them all, featuring Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" as the soundtrack.

Could you imagine a TSN Sportcentre countdown of the top 10 for this?

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Part of your post is cynical but okay, curious who do you think are the clear better options?

I scratched my head about a guy getting consistent call ups and not producing. Although I did this in the past about Piette and was completely wrong, however those were desperate times.

I think the guys outside of the 20 core guys should be strictly given caps/called into camp based on their club form…

How was my post cynical? I was being 100% honest when I said I want him to succeed. I'm a fan of Canadian players lol.

Regarding better options, name some players on the bubble with him and you have your list. I would put Ugbo, Corbeanu, Millar, Cav, etc all ahead of him. 

Also, what's wrong with raising expectations? I don't think Fraser should be at the World Cup either to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shway said:

Don't be surprised when he makes the final roster. 

I am not arguing you, but who's spot do you think he takes? 

I think millar is safe because he gets called up every camp and no one has been soooo good that i think herdman drops  millar whos put in the work, knows the guys, system etc. 

Corbenau is a bubble player, playing well currently.

Koleosho is injured i think and not playing well. His strongest argument for is the cap tie. 

I think it's most likely brym, corbenau, and koleosho fighting for that last spot? What do you guys think?