Jonathan David

Vince193

43 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I'm do hope David got a handsome percentage (relatively speaking) of his transfer fee

Is this really a common thing? Gent gives a chunk of the transfer fee in David?  I mean he already made it clear he wanted out, why would they reward him for that??  And what kind of trickle down payment will reach his Ottawa youth club??  A couple hundred g's pumped into those clubs would be a real windfall for Ottawa soccer.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is this really a common thing? Gent gives a chunk of the transfer fee in David?  I mean he already made it clear he wanted out, why would they reward him for that??  And what kind of trickle down payment will reach his Ottawa youth club??  A couple hundred g's pumped into those clubs would be a real windfall for Ottawa soccer.  

The FIFA solidarity payment is applied with all international transfers after the first pro contract. 

FIFA determines that this payment could be up to 5% of the total transfer free. From what I've read, they have to agree on this privately and are not required to reveal it.

If the fee is really 30 million euros, then that would mean there is up to 1.5 million euros that could be distributed to his youth clubs. If there is more than one club, you determine pro rata, proportionally. It also seems there may be a higher fee for the later teen years, or a higher applicable rate, but I don't understand it.

Exactly how they determine this up to 5%, why it might be less, I don't know either. I think, too, that Lille would take part of the transfer to Gent and that would not end up in Gent's hands, it would go from his new club to his youth clubs. 

BTW, @Bison44, the signing bonus has nothing to do with the transfer fee, it is an additional cost the club may incur as a gratuity for his signing with them, I have an earlier post on that in this thread.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Anyone know what the salaries are like at Lille?

Took a look around. Average over a 1.2 million euros a year. Highest paid just over 3 million.

I'd guess David is over a million and a half and pushing 2 million a year, with performance bonuses on top. Maybe I am wrong, but I would say he is making comfortably over the average. 

Anyone know what he made at Gent? Maybe 300 thousand?

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Yes it is. Especially given his situation, a savvy agent would have included a sell on fee percentage. It was then a win-win for him and Gent to agree to an extension when it was clear he was moving on imminently. 

11 hours ago, red card said:

Another intro video

Been away for a bit to deal with my grief but I just have to say that I am excited about this deal. Excited that David will not only be playing in France but playing for a top club like Lille too. I can't wait for the French Ligue 1 2020-21 season to start so I can see David in action.

43 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

ON a interview with KJ of TSN he said he had a few options but he did choose # 9.

From that interview I loved that Lille plans to build the team around him, and play him in his preferred position as a 9 in a strike partnership. I wonder who the other striker will be... Loic Remy?

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BTW, @Bison44, the signing bonus has nothing to do with the transfer fee, it is an additional cost the club may incur as a gratuity for his signing with them, I have an earlier post on that in this thread.

Yeah I read your post.  But multiple people keep saying David would probably get a "percentage of the transfer",  a sell on clause in his Gent contract. It would come out of Gents end.  Like when I buy your house and you pay the realtors fees out of your end.

David's agent spoke with KJ about the transfer and mentioned Lille want to play with two FWs up top. Vancouver also tend to do the same.

Canada should really run a 5-3-2 to be able to use David and Cavs up top together and also run Davies at wingback. A 4-4-2 could work but I think I prefer to keep three bodies in midfield.

And yes this does mean Hoilett gets benched but north of 30 Hoilett as a supersub has value.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

David's agent spoke with KJ about the transfer and mentioned Lille want to play with two FWs up top. Vancouver also tend to do the same.

Canada should really run a 5-3-2 to be able to use David and Cavs up top together and also run Davies at wingback. A 4-4-2 could work but I think I prefer to keep three bodies in midfield.

And yes this does mean Hoilett gets benched but north of 30 Hoilett as a supersub has value.

I think we ran a 4-2-2 against the states in November with Cav and David up top and Davies at LB

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think we ran a 4-2-2 against the states in November with Cav and David up top and Davies at LB

Ya and it failed spectacularly because Davies ended up isolated and Canada can't run a high line like Bayern do. a 5-3-2 would give Davies much needed cover.

Davies as a LB in a 4 man back line doesn't seem to work at all for Canada it could be better in a 3-man line.

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Yeah, I am a fan of Hoilett, of course but you do tend to find when he is “off” he really hurts the rhythm of a team as he does try to do quite a lot. From my limited time watching him with the Nats/some of his career in English football, you can understand why he’s a bit of a polarizing player amongst the fans. 

36 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

From that interview I loved that Lille plans to build the team around him, and play him in his preferred position as a 9 in a strike partnership. I wonder who the other striker will be... Loic Remy?

Lille also signed old man Burak Ylimaz, who played with Atiba at Besiktas for the past few years. He can score, not sure if they plan to start him or bring him off the bench though.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I don't agree with reducing the overall talent on the field just to push Davies to a wingback role. Bayern have been so successful in part because Davies bails them out with his pace time and time again when players get in behind the backline. People love to point out the fact that Bayern have players to cover for Davies when he gets caught up the pitch, but never seem to mention the fact that Davies repeatedly does the same. He's a very strong defender, and you lose that to a certain degree if you push him forward. Regardless, I think we're a stronger team with Hoilett on the field, and we're stronger in attack than we are in defense. Two losses with Davies as a LB is too small of a sample size for me to assume we cannot play in a 4 back system with Davies as a LB and still give him freedom to get forward.

Edited by Aird25

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't agree with reducing the overall talent on the field just to push Davies to a wingback role. Bayern have been so successful in part because Davies bails them out with his pace time and time again when players get in behind the backline. People love to point out the fact that Bayern have players to cover for Davies when he gets caught up the pitch, but never seem to mention the fact that Davies repeatedly does the same. He's a very strong defender, and you lose that to a certain degree if you push him forward. Regardless, I think we're a stronger team with Hoilett on the field, and we're stronger in attack than we are in defense. Two losses with Davies as a LB is too small of a sample size for me to assume we cannot play in a 4 back system with Davies as a LB and still give him freedom to get forward.

I tend to agree with you now more than I have in the past, so this comment is about to get a like from me. Before I give it though, I will support your position by reminding everyone that Davies is far more mature now than he was back in November. We should not write him off considering his exponential growth since then. 

My hope at left back for us is that he takes risks at the right time, just like he does at Bayern. For me it all comes down to how Davies will choose to play LB. That is the key.

If he can do it in a mature way (and we have a lot of evidence now he can) then I strongly approve of him playing at LB for us. If he cannot do that for whatever reason, then we might as well play him closer to goal, where he can be a pest all game and create chances for David and co.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I tend to agree with you now more than I have in the past, so this comment is about to get a like from me. Before I give it though, I will support your position by reminding everyone that Davies is far more mature now than he was back in November. My hope for him at left back for us is that he takes risks at the right time, just like at Bayern. For me it all comes down to how Davies will choose to play LB. If he can do it in a mature way (and we have a lot of evidence now he can) then I strongly approve of him playing at LB for us. If he cannot do that for whatever reason, then we might as well play him closer to goal, where he can be a pest all game and create chances for David and co.

He had a nightmare against the US, making mistakes that you never see him make at Bayern. I don't really feel that is a realistic representation of what he can offer at the position with Canada yet that's what everyone holds to when insisting it won't work for us

Edited by Aird25

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

He had a nightmare against the US, making mistakes that you never see him make at Bayern. I don't really feel that is a realistic representation of what he can offer at the position with Canada yet that's what everyone holds to when insisting it won't work for us

I guess seeing is believing for most, but I am with you. His maturity in the position should not be overlooked.