Jonathan David

Vince193

Just now, Obinna said:

I guess seeing is believing for most, but I am with you. His maturity in the position should not be overlooked. 

These are all good points but the main issue is I don't trust Herdman to be good enough as a coach to utilize Davies at LB properly like Bayern do.

After the horrendous loss to the US where Davies and the team looked really bad all over Herdman was all smiles and wasn't reflective at all. I don't think he knows how to learn his lessons and that will come back to bite us in the ass if he puts Davies at LB but doesn't play to his strengths.

Just now, VinceA said:

These are all good points but the main issue is I don't trust Herdman to be good enough as a coach to utilize Davies at LB properly like Bayern do.

After the horrendous loss to the US where Davies and the team looked really bad all over Herdman was all smiles and wasn't reflective at all. I don't think he knows how to learn his lessons and that will come back to bite us in the ass if he puts Davies at LB but doesn't play to his strengths.

Yup, I agree with this too. I share this concern and I think it is fair. I hope that is just a Herdman quirk, putting on a facade.....because how that game went down was nothing to smile about.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

David's agent spoke with KJ about the transfer and mentioned Lille want to play with two FWs up top. Vancouver also tend to do the same.

Canada should really run a 5-3-2 to be able to use David and Cavs up top together and also run Davies at wingback. A 4-4-2 could work but I think I prefer to keep three bodies in midfield.

And yes this does mean Hoilett gets benched but north of 30 Hoilett as a supersub has value.

My main concern with a 3-5-2 is that it would require us to essentially field 3 CBs where we have the least amount of depth/quality.  Unless this pushes players out of position (like Atiba to a slightly higher central position).  Maybe I am misunderstanding the formation you are picturing but it seems like we would be leaving a lot of quality mids on the bench while loading up in our weakest position.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My main concern with a 3-5-2 is that it would require us to essentially field 3 CBs where we have the least amount of depth/quality.  Unless this pushes players out of position (like Atiba to a slightly higher central position).  Maybe I am misunderstanding the formation you are picturing but it seems like we would be leaving a lot of quality mids on the bench while loading up in our weakest position.  

Herdman generally plays with either 3 or 4 midfielders so someone is going to be benched regardless. You have Piette/Eustaquio/Atiba/Arfield/Osorio/Kaye fighting for those spots. Otherwise a 5-3-2 sacrifices wingers for wingbacks and really our only prominent winger is Hoilett who I'm willing to use as a supersub. you still run 3 MFs which is the same as the 4-3-3 he likes to use.

I think the 4-2-2-2 was a specific ploy against the US Herdman won't use again, at least not regularly.

3ATB could also help with our CB issue with just having more bodies in that position. I still think the likes of Waterman or Zator could be a big addition to the backline especially Zator as a no nonsense CB which we've missed.

Edited by VinceA

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Herdman generally plays with either 3 or 4 midfielders so someone is going to be benched regardless. You have Piette/Eustaquio/Atiba/Arfield/Osorio/Kaye fighting for those spots. Otherwise a 5-3-2 sacrifices wingers for wingbacks and really our only prominent winger is Hoilett who I'm willing to use as a supersub. you still run 3 MFs which is the same as the 4-3-3 he likes to use.

I think the 4-2-2-2 was a specific ploy against the US Herdman won't use again, at least not regularly.

3ATB could also help with our CB issue with just having more bodies in that position. I still think the likes of Waterman or Zator could be a big addition to the backline especially Zator as a no nonsense CB which we've missed.

It all comes down to tactics and opponent anyways. I think 5-3-2 could work against Mexico/USA/Costa Rica, but we don’t have any matches against teams with much quality coming up in the near future. I’d expect Davies at LB in a 4 man back line in the near future since we’re playing minnows for the next while. Herdman has shown that he wants his best attacking players on the field in these games, and the easiest way to do that is with Davies at LB.

1 minute ago, archer21 said:

It all comes down to tactics and opponent anyways. I think 5-3-2 could work against Mexico/USA/Costa Rica, but we don’t have any matches against teams with much quality coming up in the near future. I’d expect Davies at LB in a 4 man back line in the near future since we’re playing minnows for the next while. Herdman has shown that he wants his best attacking players on the field in these games, and the easiest way to do that is with Davies at LB.

That is an excellent point.  the big games won't be coming until later on in 2021.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe Kaye is the answer for the Left centre back spot....

I love him as a midfielder, but....

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

You've been drinking  Herdman's Kool aid haven't you?

To be fair he was a LB before he was at LAFC.. and i think hes a good option at LB vs minnows if we want all of our top players on field AND Davies more forward

edit: nvm he said Left CENTER back

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe Kaye is the answer for the Left centre back spot....

I love him as a midfielder, but....

I feel like this could actually work but I think it could require a vocal leader at the back to direct Kaye a bit as it has been a while since he has played in the back line (unless I am forgetting something) and he might need some help to ensure he is always switched on positionally. This could also provide us with a solid passer out of the back to break the lines when starting a new attack or after the ball has been recycled. 

in a 4-3-3 with Kaye as one of the three midfielders in the defensive phase, and then in possession Kaye drops off to the left of the two centre backs. It could become 3-3-1-3 (or a variant of this) depending on other player personnel. This could allow us more of our attackers on the pitch up top (David/hoillet/cav/phonzie?/Oso?) with our fullbacks (Davies? Laryea?) back in defensive phase but pushing up higher to combine with the outside attackers to create overloads when we are in possession. 

of course it is also dependent on available players to fill the other positions properly but it is an idea I had when I was geeking up on tactics this week, so it was funny (to me anyway) when this was suggested.  

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

I’m pretty sure he just scored on his debut

He is such a natural, right place-right time poacher. Reads the game well, gets himself into useful positions, such nice feet, speed. He'll have fun this season if this is any indication.

Edited by nolando

1 hour ago, Weng said:

Nice first half for David.  Can tell he’s getting used to playing with new teammates.  That Yilmaz has the worst body language, frustrating to watch.

I find it even more frustrating watching Bamba, and to a lesser extent, Ikone, always trying to take that extra touch or make that extra move instead of making a simple, more obvious pass.