Jonathan David

Vince193

14 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I wonder if PSG might be interested as they will Mbappe and he would be relatively inexpensive for them.  Same league so easy on the transition and they might end up with a player that can fill some of the gaping hole when he leaves.

It would be great if there was a club in France that was somewhere between the level of PSG and Lille.

Every other club would be a lateral move at best and PSG tend to look outside the league for their talent, unlike Bayern for instance.

Ironically, the last player they bought from another French club was Mbappe. 

Before that you have to go back to 2015 signing of Kurzawa (also from Monaco).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am just someone who tends to downplay things, but I don’t think David is ready for the very biggest stages yet.   I know he has been doing well, and obviously I hope he can continue developing and producing goals wherever he plays.  But I just don’t see him as ready yet for teams like Manchester City or Real Madrid.  The pace of the games at those levels are a large step up from France, and the defenders are the best in the world.  I think a premature move risks having him underwhelm and then become relegated to a backup or sub role for an extended period.   I would far rather he consistently gets starting minutes and continue his growth - as he is now doing at a Team that plays at a very respectable level, and who is starting to play better looking footy (where they seem to seek him out more often).  

Not trying to disrespect JD.  I am a huge fan and now watch pretty much every Lille game.   But I see enough parts of his game that still need to be developed to question whether “the big” move is something he should do right now, or if he should continue where he is at for a year or two.  If he really is the kind of player than can ultimately thrive at a top global team, he will dominate France and there will be no doubt that he will strengthen a top tier team. 

Agree with what you are saying.  I think if he had moved from Gent to any of those other top teams and had the same start as he did to start the 2020 season, his situation would be pretty dire right now.  Just don't think a manager of any of those top teams would've stuck with him like Galtier did.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am just someone who tends to downplay things, but I don’t think David is ready for the very biggest stages yet.   I know he has been doing well, and obviously I hope he can continue developing and producing goals wherever he plays.  But I just don’t see him as ready yet for teams like Manchester City or Real Madrid.  The pace of the games at those levels are a large step up from France, and the defenders are the best in the world.  I think a premature move risks having him underwhelm and then become relegated to a backup or sub role for an extended period.   I would far rather he consistently gets starting minutes and continue his growth - as he is now doing at a Team that plays at a very respectable level, and who is starting to play better looking footy (where they seem to seek him out more often).  

Not trying to disrespect JD.  I am a huge fan and now watch pretty much every Lille game.   But I see enough parts of his game that still need to be developed to question whether “the big” move is something he should do right now, or if he should continue where he is at for a year or two.  If he really is the kind of player than can ultimately thrive at a top global team, he will dominate France and there will be no doubt that he will strengthen a top tier team. 

Nearly everything from David is one touch when he has the option, even though his teammates don't play that style. The pace of the game at the top level doesn't worry me as much as the physicality does.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

100% agree. When it comes to a major team like a Liverpool or a Madrid he's too old (believe it or not) to be viewed as a $50M project and not yet there to step in and make an immediate impact. He's got one more step before taking that big leap. That could be just by staying at Lille for another year or two, but I think most of us would rather see that elsewhere

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Nearly everything from David is one touch when he has the option, even though his teammates don't play that style. The pace of the game at the top level doesn't worry me as much as the physicality does.

He would face a totally new level of physicality playing in England, but do believe he would be up for the challenge. 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would add.   What he accomplished so far is based on just the first nine games of a season. Might be best to start thinking of big clubs if he keeps this up until the month of May.  

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the remainder of this season will go a long way to determining that or not. I don't think there were many people realistically calling for him to make a step up after his first season with Gent, but by the time his second season had been stopped, his numbers were so dominant that there was simply no way that he wasn't going to be taking the next step. Likewise, he's currently on pace for 25 league goals, and if he accomplishes that, there's no way that he isn't going to be making another step up in the summer. I know what you mean though, but despite his apparent areas that could use improvement, if he continues banging in goals, big clubs are going to come in for him. At which point he'll just need to take his game to the next level, establish himself at the new watermark and then hopefully keep banging them in. He's still young and will still improve but he's shown (so far) that he can excel at every level he's played at. He also has the experience of facing adversity now and overcoming it, which is a valuable tool to have. If he moves to a huge club at 22, you would think he would be given some time to adjust as well, so I don't think it's a huge risk of not hitting the ground running and then being stuck on the bench. I'm sure him and his agent will be sure to look for this guarantee when shopping around. He was given this guarantee at Lille and I'm sure that played a part in why he chose to go there. That's one of the reasons why I don't think Real Madrid is a good choice, that's not the sort of club where you're afforded that luxury.

18 hours ago, frmr said:

I think the remainder of this season will go a long way to determining that or not. I don't think there were many people realistically calling for him to make a step up after his first season with Gent, but by the time his second season had been stopped, his numbers were so dominant that there was simply no way that he wasn't going to be taking the next step. Likewise, he's currently on pace for 25 league goals, and if he accomplishes that, there's no way that he isn't going to be making another step up in the summer. I know what you mean though, but despite his apparent areas that could use improvement, if he continues banging in goals, big clubs are going to come in for him. At which point he'll just need to take his game to the next level, establish himself at the new watermark and then hopefully keep banging them in. He's still young and will still improve but he's shown (so far) that he can excel at every level he's played at. He also has the experience of facing adversity now and overcoming it, which is a valuable tool to have. If he moves to a huge club at 22, you would think he would be given some time to adjust as well, so I don't think it's a huge risk of not hitting the ground running and then being stuck on the bench. I'm sure him and his agent will be sure to look for this guarantee when shopping around. He was given this guarantee at Lille and I'm sure that played a part in why he chose to go there. That's one of the reasons why I don't think Real Madrid is a good choice, that's not the sort of club where you're afforded that luxury.

True in normal circumstances, but Real Madrid right now is actually a good spot. And I hate RM and am a Barça fan, but am trying to be objective. 

First, Benzema, who IMO is a top 3 forward in Europe right now, can't go on forever. He is still very effective and does not show his age, he rarely is injured. But they definitely need help for him. He can't do it alone. They lost to Sherrif and this weekend Espanyol and basically could not take him off or sub anyone into that slot to help or replace him.

Then, Jovic, who came with a powerful pedigree, has been a flop. That said, Jovic has gotten minutes even as a flop. They keep trying, it has been going on for a couple of years (they bought him, loaned him back to Eintracht). And he's just 23. So the principle is to repeat the attempt, but with another player. And David is somewhat close to Jovic, someone who scores, but maybe is not that active in open play. 

Third, it is the team you are playing for. Lille has trouble keeping possession, even when winning the league, and has wasteful mids and wings. David would see a lot more balls and if it's service you want, well you got it, he'd be fed and, as I see it, he'd be effective. 

Finally, back to Benzema: great striker to learn from, one of the best. Benzema has lost weight, is leaner than ever. Is very mobile in terms of position. Can turn, can assist, keeps plays alive in the dribble and in precise passing. He's an overall talent. Better to learn from a player like that than from Yilmaz, who is mostly drive and intensity. 

(I don't think David would be a good fit at Barça, sorry to say).

Maybe there's something going on with his account because it seems botlike at times. 

He had two threads in the General Section that I asked the mods to remove as spam.  They were along the lines of "What's your favourite colour" and "What's for dinner tonight"  They each had a whole bunch of replies from him  with one word responses.  If they were legit, wouldn't he say what the hell happened to my threads?  I sure would.

There's is still one there about the Blue Jays that looked suspicious but close enough to not report.  Edit:  Looking again, maybe this Jays post is ok but I have been around this stuff for a hundred years and it got my spider sense tingling

Maybe the bots got him.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

And here I thought my measly 26 was impressive.  Definitely not going to win the day today...

You're a mod, you should be able to see deleted threads, go into the General Section and see if those threads he posted aren't suspicious to you.  Looks like a bot to me, but other stuff he posts seem normal.  I just wonder if a bot can compromise a person's account.