Jonathan David

Vince193

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The fact is that 99% of Canadian kids dream of playing in the Premier League as it's what they're exposed to growing up. UT can't come to terms with that. 

Maybe 99% of kids who don't have an Italian, Hispanic, German or even French background. The biggest clubs in the last 15 years have been Real Madrid and Barca with Bayern third. So kids with no direct link are likely to support one of those.

43 minutes ago, frmr said:

So have there been Italian reports of him saying he wants to play in Serie A? I think it's common knowledge that he has spoken a lot about playing in England and that he wants to end up there eventually. There hasn't been anything that would suggest he would want to go to Italy, at least that I'm aware of. I'm just going off of what is available and what has been reported straight from his own mouth.

He also said he really wanted to play in Germany as a next step after Belgium. So lets not take what players say in media interviews as gospel.

33 minutes ago, masster said:

He also said he really wanted to play in Germany as a next step after Belgium. So lets not take what players say in media interviews as gospel.

Well at the time, I have no doubt that he did and was probably close to making that move, until the Lille offer came along and he was obviously very impressed by the project. I'm sure language played a large part in that, which obviously would be a consideration in moving to England as well.

Edited by frmr

16 minutes ago, frmr said:

Well at the time, I have no doubt that he did and was probably close to making that move, until the Lille offer came along and he was obviously very impressed by the project. I'm sure language played a large part in that, which obviously would be a consideration in moving to England as well.

One of the big six in England would certainly be a goal for him, the chance at a Champions League title would be a part of it, you could argue that Man City may even have interest in him based on a goal scoring, especially after both Messi and Cristiano went else where. It will be a very interesting next year or two for him if continues at this pace. Exciting times. 

11 hours ago, frmr said:

So have there been Italian reports of him saying he wants to play in Serie A? I think it's common knowledge that he has spoken a lot about playing in England and that he wants to end up there eventually. There hasn't been anything that would suggest he would want to go to Italy, at least that I'm aware of. I'm just going off of what is available and what has been reported straight from his own mouth.

The English press, we all know the exemplary quality--it's almost as good as the Turkish press. 

Only I think the Turkish press gives you a better cup of coffee.

Neither are as good as Spanish press however:

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/jonathan-david-peticion-ancelotti-delantera-real-madrid-20211004.html

So the rumour today to Real Madrid, is just one more in a long line, since at least early 2020, including Sevilla, Barcelona and RM. But since the bumpkins can't read Spanish and don't know how to use Google Translate, it's Liverpool this and Arsenal that. So parochial guys.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is anectodal, but as a TFC season ticket holder I noticed that the secondary ticket market was way stronger when Defoe was here compared to later on with Giovinco (minus the playoffs of course)

Giovinco's arrival coincided with 10,000 extra seats being added to the stadium.

EDIT: Wait... what does this have to do with Jonathan David?

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is anectodal, but as a TFC season ticket holder I noticed that the secondary ticket market was way stronger when Defoe was here compared to later on with Giovinco (minus the playoffs of course)

I am not sure what this has to do with Jonathan David but I do agree, the secondary market for TFC tickets has crashed. 

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Giovinco's arrival coincided with 10,000 extra seats being added to the stadium.

EDIT: Wait... what does this have to do with Jonathan David?

That is true too.

I still think the EPL is way more popular in Canada then people are giving it credit for.

People are trying to argue which league David should move too.

I think having a Canadian star in the EPL would be massive 

Edited by narduch

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

That is true too.

I still think the EPL is way more popular in Canada then people are giving it credit for.

It is absolutely the biggest league in the world as evident by the rights battle brewing in the U.S. where it is expected to reach $2B this time around. I am sure the move to DAZN in this country has had effect on exposure but the people who still want to watch still find it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/comcast-faces-2-billion-u-s-battle-for-premier-league-rights

Nobody is arguing that the EPL isn't the most popular league in Canada. We are arguing why David might decide not to go there!!

There are lots of factors for players to consider when making a move: wages, lifestyle, city, coach, playing style, club prestige, taxes, league visibility, etc

Going to the EPL just because you may have watched it growing up ins't going to override all of the above.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Nobody is arguing that the EPL isn't the most popular league in Canada. We are arguing why David might decide not to go there!!

There are lots of factors for players to consider when making a move: wages, lifestyle, city, coach, playing style, club prestige, taxes, league visibility, etc

Going to the EPL just because you may have watched it growing up ins't going to override all of the above.

Okay, but nobody’s saying he wants to go because it’s the most popular league in Canada. We’re saying he probably wants to play in England because he’s literally said so multiple times. I feel like this thread has turned into people saying that David’s own words are somehow incorrect.

If we accept that David is currently at a mid-tier club (Top 5 league, playing Champions League, but not elite), and that his next move should be to a club that's a significant step up from that, then we're looking an increasingly narrow band of clubs to where he can move. The usual status quo is currently in a major state of flux with the 2 clubs (Barca, Real Madrid) that have been undisputedly in the top 2 positions on the food chain being in various stages of fucked and others (Juventus) that have been at, or near, the top of that food chain also suffering major dips. For those, and other reasons, I suspect that his next move is to either a 'Big 6' English club or Bayern. They're the clubs right now who can afford his transfer fee, give him better wages, and can offer him more than he's currently getting at Lille from a competitive football perspective.

However, unless he carries on his current goal scoring form through the bulk of this season, he might not necessarily get a look at one of those clubs. If he's competitive for the Golden Boot this season in a league that features Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe, though, he'll definitely get his move.

What a time to be a Canadian football supporter! Who could have imagined having these kinds of conversations back when we had Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, and an out-of-position Kevin McKenna leading our attack.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

If we accept that David is currently at a mid-tier club (Top 5 league, playing Champions League, but not elite), and that his next move should be to a club that's a significant step up from that, then we're looking an increasingly narrow band of clubs to where he can move. The usual status quo is currently in a major state of flux with the 2 clubs (Barca, Real Madrid) that have been undisputedly in the top 2 positions on the food chain being in various stages of fucked and others (Juventus) that have been at, or near, the top of that food chain also suffering major dips. For those, and other reasons, I suspect that his next move is to either a 'Big 6' English club or Bayern. They're the clubs right now who can afford his transfer fee, give him better wages, and can offer him more than he's currently getting at Lille from a competitive football perspective.

However, unless he carries on his current goal scoring form through the bulk of this season, he might not necessarily get a look at one of those clubs. If he's competitive for the Golden Boot this season in a league that features Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe, though, he'll definitely get his move.

What a time to be a Canadian football supporter! Who could have imagined having these kinds of conversations back when we had Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, and an out-of-position Kevin McKenna leading our attack.

I would love to see David at Bayern.

There is a strong French contingent, which may increase the odds of them scooping him up.

However, going back to the 2017-18 season, their in-transfers from France have been: Tolisso (Lyon-41.5M-2017), Sarr (Marseille-10M-2020), Nianzou (PSG-Free-2020), Choupo-Moting (PSG-Free-2020). Buying David at 40-50M euros would be somewhat against the trend, but you never know. It's not as if they don't have the money, but they are more frugal than other mega clubs. 

Bayern could use an understudy to Lewandowski (primary striker) and/or Muller (second striker), and David could give them depth at either position. Choupo-Moting is an inexpensive and servicable back up, but at 32 it's only a matter of time before he's phased out. David would make a lot of sense for them.

It's no secret however that their prinary target is Haaland. He'd be the natural, obvious and dream replacement for Lewandowski, but as long as the Pole keeps chugging along there's no way Haaland goes there, in my opinion. Haaland won't stay at Dortmund beyond this season and I don't see the timing working out for a dream Bayern move. I could definitely see him going to PSG to replace a Madrid-bound Mbappe though. 

Anyway, back to David. At 50M euro he'd be a pretty good investment. He'd have to bide of course, picking up opportunities where he can (and that may not suit him), but at least from Bayern's perspective it would be a smart way to bolster their attack, especially if moving for Halaand doesn't work out. 

Edited by Obinna

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I suspect that his next move is to either a 'Big 6' English club or Bayern. They're the clubs right now who can afford his transfer fee, give him better wages, and can offer him more than he's currently getting at Lille from a competitive football perspective.

I hope you know that Bayern has Lewandowski, Muller and Sane. Where will David play?

Edited by Sal333

Wonder if Fiorentina would have a look at him with Vlahovic turning down renewals.  Lille did sell Osimhen to Napoli for a pretty penny and I could maybe see Fiorentina spending some cash since they've had a good start to this year and the league seems more competitive since the end of Juve's complete dominance.

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I did happen to post that same link 16 hours ago. But since it was in the middle of a minor rant few noticed. 

It'd make sense, as they argue, since Jovic has failed, as has Mariano, and they have no cover for Benzema. 

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I did happen to post that same link 16 hours ago. But since it was in the middle of a minor rant few noticed. 

It'd make sense, as they argue, since Jovic has failed, as has Mariano, and they have no cover for Benzema. 

There have been RM links in the past, I'm pretty sure from fichajes.net. The general consensus last time that rumour came up was that RM wouldn't be a good destination. Then I think we proceeded to argue whether La Liga and Real Madrid still had the draw it once had and whether the Premier League was indeed the top league in the world. Which it now undoubtedly is.

Would be pretty crazy having a Canadian at Real though.

Maybe I am just someone who tends to downplay things, but I don’t think David is ready for the very biggest stages yet.   I know he has been doing well, and obviously I hope he can continue developing and producing goals wherever he plays.  But I just don’t see him as ready yet for teams like Manchester City or Real Madrid.  The pace of the games at those levels are a large step up from France, and the defenders are the best in the world.  I think a premature move risks having him underwhelm and then become relegated to a backup or sub role for an extended period.   I would far rather he consistently gets starting minutes and continue his growth - as he is now doing at a Team that plays at a very respectable level, and who is starting to play better looking footy (where they seem to seek him out more often).  

Not trying to disrespect JD.  I am a huge fan and now watch pretty much every Lille game.   But I see enough parts of his game that still need to be developed to question whether “the big” move is something he should do right now, or if he should continue where he is at for a year or two.  If he really is the kind of player than can ultimately thrive at a top global team, he will dominate France and there will be no doubt that he will strengthen a top tier team.