Jonathan David

Vince193

As noted a few posts ago, there is some speculation that Arsenal will be chasing David in the January transfer window.  With Lacazzette out of contract this coming summer, Arsenal will need reinforcements.

This could be a good spot for David.  Arsenal really needs attacking help so he could be featured there.

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/arsenal_shortlist_one_of_europes_hottest_prospects_ahead_of_potential_2022_swoop/s1_15953_36041549

https://todofichajes.com/jonathan-david-se-une-a-la-lista-de-deseos-del-arsenal/

32 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

As noted a few posts ago, there is some speculation that Arsenal will be chasing David in the January transfer window.  With Lacazzette out of contract this coming summer, Arsenal will need reinforcements.

This could be a good spot for David.  Arsenal really needs attacking help so he could be featured there.

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/arsenal_shortlist_one_of_europes_hottest_prospects_ahead_of_potential_2022_swoop/s1_15953_36041549

https://todofichajes.com/jonathan-david-se-une-a-la-lista-de-deseos-del-arsenal/

Arsenal is a basket case with possibly the worst, weirdest supporter base in the world. I wouldn't want JD going there.

Here's some fun stats for everyone to enjoy.

In Europe's top 6 leagues, Jonathan David is tied for fourth in goals scored, behind only Benzema, Haaland and Lewandowski. He is tied with Salah (among others) who is currently being talked about as the best player in the world at this particular moment. Also, aside from Haaland, the next youngest player in that group is 24.

What a ridiculous moment for JD right now. If he continues on this trajectory he will be in Davies territory by next season. Whoever made a deal with the devil for the betterment of Canada Soccer recently: thank you for your sacrifice.

35438664_ScreenShot2021-10-03at9_38_28PM.thumb.png.a1c57f5f261acad30167ebebd15f6f81.png

3 hours ago, frmr said:

Yeah but they don’t need to moneyball players like David. They’ll go after Haaland or Kane if they don’t think he’s past it next year. Pep can also win without a 9.

Fair point, you are right, could very well just poach Kane next window. 

I just don't see how he goes to Liverpool, which was more my comment. 

He's not gonna replace Mane as a LW and they have Jota and Firmino back. 

I personally think he stays at Lille until at least next summer. 

57 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Fair point, you are right, could very well just poach Kane next window. 

I just don't see how he goes to Liverpool, which was more my comment. 

He's not gonna replace Mane as a LW and they have Jota and Firmino back. 

I personally think he stays at Lille until at least next summer. 

Jota can play wide as well so eventually I would see Jota as a Mane replacement and David as a Firmino replacement. Arsenal has done a lot of business with Lille lately though so I could see that happening as well. Arsenal and Liverpool probably two most likely destinations.

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Jota can play wide as well so eventually I would see Jota as a Mane replacement and David as a Firmino replacement. Arsenal has done a lot of business with Lille lately though so I could see that happening as well. Arsenal and Liverpool probably two most likely destinations.

I too imagine both clubs are likely destinations, but fwiw David is on record saying he's an admirer of Arsenal and not a fan of Liverpool. 

15 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Assume his price-tag has gone way up over the last few months (after winning the league + the start he’s having). 

45 mill? 50 mill?

I think he has to be up there now.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I too imagine both clubs are likely destinations, but fwiw David is on record saying he's an admirer of Arsenal and not a fan of Liverpool. 

Yeah Arsenal would have the edge in terms of personal preference, but you have to think that's balanced somewhat by the fact that Liverpool is a top 5 club in the world right now. Arsenal is a mid-table Premier League side at the moment.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

In Europe's top 6 leagues, Jonathan David is tied for fourth in goals scored, behind only Benzema, Haaland and Lewandowski. He is tied with Salah (among others) who is currently being talked about as the best player in the world at this particular moment. Also, aside from Haaland, the next youngest player in that group is 24.

What a ridiculous moment for JD right now. If he continues on this trajectory he will be in Davies territory by next season. Whoever made a deal with the devil for the betterment of Canada Soccer recently: thank you for your sacrifice.

35438664_ScreenShot2021-10-03at9_38_28PM.thumb.png.a1c57f5f261acad30167ebebd15f6f81.png

Hopefully Buchanan evolves in Davies territory the season after 2022.

Edited by lamptern

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The two teams are not on a level at the minute. As somebody else has already pointed out, Liverpool are currently a Top 5 team in the world with one of the elite managers in charge. Arsenal have been trending downwards for years. No matter how much JD loved Thierry Henry, the player, I very much doubt that that becomes a real factor in deciding his next move.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

The two teams are not on a level at the minute. As somebody else has already pointed out, Liverpool are currently a Top 5 team in the world with one of the elite managers in charge. Arsenal have been trending downwards for years. No matter how much JD loved Thierry Henry, the player, I very much doubt that that becomes a real factor in deciding his next move.

I agree and hope you're right, because I think Liverpool would be a much better fit for David.

This coming from someone with a soft spot for Arsenal. 

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Seems like Schick has continued where he left off at the Euros

13 hours ago, frmr said:

Arsenal links coming out today. I would have to think that David would probably prefer Arsenal over Liverpool, as he’s said in the past he didn’t like Liverpool and used to idolize Henry and I think I remember him saying his dad was a gunners fan. Although if he wants to win, Arsenal is one of the last places he should want to go. Personally I would much rather live in London than Liverpool.

Assuming Lacazette is on his way out at the end of the year, Arsenal with all its young guys could be a good fit. He may be an understudy to Aubameyang the first year or so, but I feel like his opportunity to play might be more with Arsenal than with Liverpool with Jota, Firminho, Origi etc still there. 

Regarding Davies and Arsenal or Liverpool (if both teams are real options) - Arsenal is going to have a very clear need for a finisher much more than Liverpool.

They have a couple aging strikers, one of whom is leaving this season.  So he could fit in well.

I also think he could play in their 4-2-3-1 better than Lille’s weird 4-4-2 formation.  

9 hours ago, frmr said:

Whoever made a deal with the devil for the betterment of Canada Soccer recently: thank you for your sacrifice.

You welcome but it wasn't much of a sacrifice. The devil only wanted the manhood of every Canadian citizen for the next 100 years.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I seriously doubt David will end up in England, but it is charming to read pages and pages going back and forth between Liverpool and Arsenal. 

Watch him go to AC Milan.

Well he has specifically said that he wants to play in the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I seriously doubt David will end up in England, but it is charming to read pages and pages going back and forth between Liverpool and Arsenal. 

Watch him go to AC Milan.

The Premier League is where many want to end up, its the best league top to bottom in some eyes and its the one league with the greatest exposure world wide. Jonathan will almost certainly get interest from the biggest clubs there. Guess it will all come down to him deciding if he thinks if its what best for him. 

12 hours ago, frmr said:

Well he has specifically said that he wants to play in the Premier League.

Because the English press only reports what is relevant to them, that is all. Really guys, and in any case: it comes down to how his agent works and where the offers are best. Lille made their biggest recent sale to Napoli--would you snub that?

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because the English press only reports what is relevant to them, that is all. Really guys, and in any case: it comes down to how his agent works and where the offers are best. Lille made their biggest recent sale to Napoli--would you snub that?

So have there been Italian reports of him saying he wants to play in Serie A? I think it's common knowledge that he has spoken a lot about playing in England and that he wants to end up there eventually. There hasn't been anything that would suggest he would want to go to Italy, at least that I'm aware of. I'm just going off of what is available and what has been reported straight from his own mouth.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

So have there been Italian reports of him saying he wants to play in Serie A? I think it's common knowledge that he has spoken a lot about playing in England and that he wants to end up there eventually. There hasn't been anything that would suggest he would want to go to Italy, at least that I'm aware of. I'm just going off of what is available and what has been reported straight from his own mouth.

The fact is that 99% of Canadian kids dream of playing in the Premier League as it's what they're exposed to growing up. UT can't come to terms with that.