Jonathan David

Vince193

David now tied for second in scoring with seven others, including Mbappe. Much better start to the season this time around. If he continues scoring at a .5 rate or hopefully even a bit better, that will surely be enough to secure a move to a big club.

41 minutes ago, frmr said:

David now tied for second in scoring with seven others, including Mbappe. Much better start to the season this time around. If he continues scoring at a .5 rate or hopefully even a bit better, that will surely be enough to secure a move to a big club.

Bigger Club

2 minutes ago, snake said:

Bigger Club

Absolutely considering Lille won the league last year and JD is playing Champions League football this year. Certainly a bigger club has to be thinking about making a play for him. My question is it the right time for that after what would be two seasons at Lille? Would he just step in and play everyday for Liverpool? 

On 9/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, Cblake said:

Absolutely considering Lille won the league last year and JD is playing Champions League football this year. Certainly a bigger club has to be thinking about making a play for him. My question is it the right time for that after what would be two seasons at Lille? Would he just step in and play everyday for Liverpool? 

I don't think he would step in and play everyday at 22, but depending on how Mane's season goes, I think there's definitely room to come off the bench, as well as room for some starts. Also, depending on injuries, he may be able to get more playing time than one would maybe expect. It would only be a matter of time until he became a regular starter though since Mane's form really seems to be dipping and there are some question marks around Salah's future as well. I would say Jota is more of a Mane replacement as I don't think he's as much of a central forward as David is. So David would be more of a Firmino replacement, and Firmino looks like he is getting farther away from a starting spot in that front three.

Long story short, he wouldn't walk into the starting XI, but I don't think he'd be far away from it if he continues with his strong form, especially considering the age of their attackers (not including Jota, who is part of the "new guard").

Also, a fun fact from losc.fr, David's run of winning every game he scores in (14 games) is the longest such streak in Ligue 1 since 1950. Talk about an impact player!

Edited by frmr

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Also, a fun fact from losc.fr, David's run of winning every game he scores in (14 games) is the longest such streak in Ligue 1 since 1950. Talk about an impact player!

Maybe, but I'm not sure.  David doesn't seem to create a lot of the scoring chances for the team, he just makes good use of the ones he finds himself in.  It could be that when David scores, the team is playing well as a whole and creating those chances for him, along with keeping the other team from scoring.  When David gets no chances, the team is usually playing like crap and will probably lose the game.  If there's anyone on the team who can create from nothing, it seems to be Burak Yilmaz.

I haven't been keeping track, so this is all conjecture from me.  It just seems to fit with how I feel about the Lille matches I've watched.

Edited by rkomar

@rkomar David is a player that performs best with teamates that can play quick 1/2 touch combination passes while attacking with speed...the way Gent played. He also performs better when he is more involved in the game... drops deeper to break up plays and starts counters. He's not  a player that simply goes on a run trying to beat players on his own like Yilmaz or Tajon. If you look at his stats at Gent he had a lot of assists and created many scoring opportunities. I would like to see David, Yilmaz and Weah start together. Weah and David seem to really click on the field.  He needs to go on a bit of a scoring run to get his confidence back to where it was at Gent and the offers will come.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Imagine not playing for the country your father is president of. 

And we thought Teal should've been more loyal. 

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol. Fair enough.  That even makes the whore look okay by comparison.  

Imagine not playing for the country your father is president of? Okay sure! Very easy!

Liberia are terrible (ranked 144). Their highest profile player is attached to Slavia Prague.

Weah plays for the defending champs of a top 5 league. 

I know you guys are just kidding around, but c'mon. Is this about loyalty or common sense? His father could be emperor and it still wouldn't be enough 🤣

Teal is different because at least Canada were respectable. We have never been the complete lost cause that Liberia is. 

Aside from the BPL gossip, I actually am content were David is now if he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks.

IMO, It's ideal for the CMNT if he stays at Lille and continues to be rounding into form.

I think people forget Lille is known how to sell on players and they paid 30M.

When you look at selling on for max value, this is how I see it... Lille are cheering for Canada to make world cup, aided by David. David then bags a goal in the WC, all while crushing Ligue One and continuing to be one of the top strikers in the league. Sell him at 22-23 years old, that's how you get MAX value.  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Imagine not playing for the country your father is president of? Okay sure! Very easy!

Liberia are terrible (ranked 144). Their highest profile player is attached to Slavia Prague.

Weah plays for the defending champs of a top 5 league. 

I know you guys are just kidding around, but c'mon. Is this about loyalty or common sense? His father could be emperor and it still wouldn't be enough 🤣

Teal is different because at least Canada were respectable. We have never been the complete lost cause that Liberia is. 

Who did the world player of the year now President of Liberia play for? 

Can't believe you came up with same identical lame response we've heard for decades about not representing Canada. It was always easy to not play for Canada either, thanks to that logic. 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can't believe you came up with same identical lame response we've heard for decades about not representing Canada. It was always easy to not play for Canada either, thanks to that logic. 

So you're suggesting that factoring in the strength of a program is a "lame" way to choose your national team?

Well sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just the reality when it comes to choosing a national team.

I want all players eligible to play for Canada to do so, but obviously being good is important.

That's why we get giddy everytime we move up the rankings (at least I do). It strengthes our case to prospects.

You have to admit that's a factor, like it or not.

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Aside from the BPL gossip, I actually am content were David is now if he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks.

IMO, It's ideal for the CMNT if he stays at Lille and continues to be rounding into form.

I think people forget Lille is known how to sell on players and they paid 30M.

When you look at selling on for max value, this is how I see it... Lille are cheering for Canada to make world cup, aided by David. David then bags a goal in the WC, all while crushing Ligue One and continuing to be one of the top strikers in the league. Sell him at 22-23 years old, that's how you get MAX value.  

He turns 22 in January, so your 22-23 window could come as early as next transfer window.

Also, in terms of Lille selling players on, Luis Campos was the mastermind behind all of their latest big outgoings, and he is no longer with the club, so there's that. If I had to bet, barring a massive injury emergency with a top club that saw him make a move in January, I think we'll see him make a step up next summer for ~50M, probably to Liverpool.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

So you're suggesting that factoring in the strength of a program is a "lame" way to choose your national team?

Well sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just the reality when it comes to choosing a national team.

I want all players eligible to play for Canada to do so, but obviously being good is important.

That's why we get giddy everytime we move up the rankings (at least I do). It strengthes our case to prospects.

I think there was another sentence fragment in there that you forgot to backpeddle on, @Obinna

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

David has 4 goals in 8 league games to start the season. If he keeps that pace up I would not be surprised to see him get sold for around 50M. 

By January, Lille may be out of Europe and out of the league title chase, so they may be more inclined to cash in.

It might be awkward to pull rank on Yilmaz but Lille should let David take all the penalty kicks going forward to pad his goal count. I think Pepe got  4 or 5 goals on PK's the season he was sold to Arsenal. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

So, international football is no different than club football?  Lame indeed.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

He turns 22 in January, so your 22-23 window could come as early as next transfer window.

Also, in terms of Lille selling players on, Luis Campos was the mastermind behind all of their latest big outgoings, and he is no longer with the club, so there's that. If I had to bet, barring a massive injury emergency with a top club that saw him make a move in January, I think we'll see him make a step up next summer for ~50M, probably to Liverpool.

Good points. 

I'm in agreement with you, I personally think it will be either next summer or January post world cup. I just don't see it happening the next window, however stranger things have happened. 

I also heard recently man city was heavily scouting him as well. Could definitely get interesting. 

I agree with you on $ wise. I don't see Lille selling him for anything under 50M, at this point anyways.

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Good points. 

I'm in agreement with you, I personally think it will be either next summer or January post world cup. I just don't see it happening the next window, however stranger things have happened. 

I also heard recently man city was heavily scouting him as well. Could definitely get interesting. 

I agree with you on $ wise. I don't see Lille selling him for anything under 50M, at this point anyways.

I guess the question is whether David can score enough goals by the time the next window rolls around. It does seem somewhat unlikely, but I wouldn't exactly be shocked. 

For our sake it's probably better he moves next summer (if at all).

Joining a team midseason is not always easy, though it depends on the circumstance at the club more than anything, I guess.