Scott Kennedy

I dont think anyone is advocating that Doneil should start or that Miller, Kennedy and Johnston do not deserve to start based on their play at GC/WCQ, only that they are light on international caps and have not played together much, if at all. One cannot underestimate the value of experience for defenders especially for the Octo. 

I agree that Kennedy, Miller, and Johnston are our best 3 in a back 3. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with any of them in the middle though, because I think they’re all naturally outside CBs in a back 3. Has Kennedy ever played in the middle of a back 3? He could be very good at it but I probably wouldn’t want to have him try it out for the first time in such an important match.

3 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I agree that Kennedy, Miller, and Johnston are our best 3 in a back 3. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with any of them in the middle though, because I think they’re all naturally outside CBs in a back 3. Has Kennedy ever played in the middle of a back 3? He could be very good at it but I probably wouldn’t want to have him try it out for the first time in such an important match.

hes played 27 games as a dm/cm so he should be fine there.

18 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

hes played 27 games as a dm/cm so he should be fine there.

That doesn’t really ease my concerns. I’m sure some of the skills translate from one to the other but it’s not like just because Vitoria can play CB, he could play CM/DM. Even if Kennedy has the skill set to do it, it’s hard to play a new position for the first time. His role/positioning will be different from what he’s used to, and you don’t want someone unsure of where they’re supposed to be or what they’re supposed to be doing. I could just be making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but I don’t see us trying someone in a brand new position at this point.

11 minutes ago, archer21 said:

That doesn’t really ease my concerns. I’m sure some of the skills translate from one to the other but it’s not like just because Vitoria can play CB, he could play CM/DM. Even if Kennedy has the skill set to do it, it’s hard to play a new position for the first time. His role/positioning will be different from what he’s used to, and you don’t want someone unsure of where they’re supposed to be or what they’re supposed to be doing. I could just be making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but I don’t see us trying someone in a brand new position at this point.

I agree with this.  I think we need Vitoria or Henry in the middle of a back 3.  And I know i'm in the minority, but I prefer Henry.  Physically intimidating and gets his head on everything.  I know he's risky, but you need some of these guys to not give opposition strikers an easy night. They can't play fearless or we're in trouble.

10 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I agree with this.  I think we need Vitoria or Henry in the middle of a back 3.  And I know i'm in the minority, but I prefer Henry.  Physically intimidating and gets his head on everything.  I know he's risky, but you need some of these guys to not give opposition strikers an easy night. They can't play fearless or we're in trouble.

Absolutely not to Henry over Vittoria. 

giving a striker a cheap PK to capitalize on is the easiest of nights(or going down a man for that matter). 

dont think starting vittoria over henry means opposing strikers will play fearless. Vittoria isnt a push over, hes just not reckless like Henry which we cant afford. 

Edited by king1010

Vitoria is remains our best middle CB in a back 3 I think.  

I think that Kennedy on the left and Johnston on the right give us our best top 3 although Miller is right there as well and a team always needs a rotation.

But in a do or die game against let’s say Honduras or Costa Rica I would put out Kennedy, Vitoria, Johnston in a back 3 of a 3-5-2.

Regensburg are 4-0 with a win over Schalke, Kennedy playing the full 90 again! I'm gonna get my hopes up if they don't stop winning real soon. The games are too early for me, but Regensburg seem to be a really tough team to play against this season, rock solid at the back and throwing waves of creativity at the opposition, where basically everyone on the field can and will score. This could be one of the biggest surprises of the season... like anywhere in Europe.

Even their fans have a song about how mediocre they've been historically: (earworm alert!)

Even if/when they fall back to Earth, Kennedy's in a great situation. They're a capable team at the very least.

19 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

their fans have a song about how mediocre they've been historically: (earworm alert!

Have they ever been in the 1. Bundesliga?

Also, kinda disappointed that the Yank Hoppe didn't play; I wanted another duel like we had seen between Sargent and Kennedy last season. They still have those Werder Bremen matches coming up though.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Also, kinda disappointed that the Yank Hoppe didn't play; I wanted another duel like we had seen between Sargent and Kennedy last season. They still have those Werder Bremen matches coming up though.

Sargent is in the premier league with Norwich now.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No, they've never come close. They finished 5th in 2 bundesliga once, but that looks like a weird year. They had a neutral goal differentual.

Awesome to see Regensburg doing so great, I haven’t been able to watch them but it sounds like they’re dominate so far. Kennedy could very well be in the Bundesliga next season which would be huge for us. He has to be a lock at CB, no?

58 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Awesome to see Regensburg doing so great, I haven’t been able to watch them but it sounds like they’re dominate so far. Kennedy could very well be in the Bundesliga next season which would be huge for us. He has to be a lock at CB, no?

I would say he probably has to be our starting LCB over Miller. Our back line finally starting to take shape.

I wouldn’t get too excited over Jahn’s start. It’s still very early and they really haven’t played any of the better team (or at least teams higher up the table atm) yet. Kennedy being a key player on a team that’s in great form is obviously great for Canada though, regardless.

1 minute ago, archer21 said:

I wouldn’t get too excited over Jahn’s start. It’s still very early and they really haven’t played any of the better team (or at least teams higher up the table atm) yet. Kennedy being a key player on a team that’s in great form is obviously great for Canada though, regardless.

Schalke is a promotion contender, no? Probably one of the strongest teams in B2 this year. 

31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Great start but way, way too early to be talking about promotion. 

based on recent history 60+ points is a good barometer of what you need to get in the top 3. So they would need another 48 points over the last 30 matches to reach that goal.

34 × 3 = 102 points.

C'mon Scott, anything less and we will be disappointed! 🤣

On 8/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, Ivan said:

Absolute masochistic behaviour preferring Henry as a starter.

You’ve been a Canadian football fan for too long, perhaps.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Absolute masochistic behaviour preferring Henry as a starter.

You’ve been a Canadian football fan for too long, perhaps.

And pretty naive to think a never before tried back 3 Kennedy, Miller and Johnston are able to organize and clear lines in WCQ.  I like Kennedy and Miller.  But I think one of Vitoria or Henry is required.

Ah, and I can tell by your username which one you prefer.  But remember, yes, Henry's rash challenge cost us a penalty goal vs. Mexico.  Debatable penalty, but a penalty.  Vitoria's ghastly error vs. Haiti would have been punished by most other teams.