Stephen Eustaquio

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Is it just me that prefers the CANMNT regulars stay away from MLS and the turf fields?  Especially Stephen, given his brutal knee injury. 

Perhaps its due to my own history with turf and a blown out knee, but i doubt anyone with a previous injury feels good playing on turf.

I do not prefer an MLS move for Eustaquio, but Orlando wouldn't be the worst option if he were to play there. They do not have turf. 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, Obinna said:

Orlando itself may be a possible place for him to move. Obviously they worked with Cruz Azul on the Yoshi Yotun deal. There are Portugese and Brazilian players at Orlando, not to mention Canadians.

Orlando has a "Strategic Partnership" (whatever that means exactly, I don't know) with Benfica.   So they may have a bit more scouting info on Stephen than other MLS clubs.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Is it just me that prefers the CANMNT regulars stay away from MLS and the turf fields?  Especially Stephen, given his brutal knee injury. 

Perhaps its due to my own history with turf and a blown out knee, but i doubt anyone with a previous injury feels good playing on turf.

People and turf fields.  Wow get over it

7 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

easy for you to say, but for players this is a legitimate career concern... how about telling them to get over it?

I'm confused.. are you Stephen Eustaquio? Your asking me to tell someone to get over something that they were never not over and perpetuating a tired stereotype from the 90s. I've been playing on turf twice a week for 20 years and I'm fine. By all accounts that's more time spent on a turf field than a professional in the MLS since they all practice on grass and maybe 1/3 of the teams even play games on turf

Edited by SpursFlu

38 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Despite your opinion, and what I'm sure has been an illustrious beer league career, it's a well documented fact that most professional soccer players (especially those from Europe) have a very strong preference for natural grass fields.

That's not the discussion if it's their preference. The discussion is increased risk of injury or ending someone's career. In which there is zero examples of this being true. I have 3 teams here in my backyard playing on turf. Van, Portland, Seattle and in the last 10 plus years I can't recall a single injury serious or minor being contributed to playing on turf. Turf is common in many leagues in thee world and i couldn't find examples. As far as people not wanting to play on turf.. according to MDS he got so annoyed with this perspective last year.. he declared it a dead issue because he wanted to let people know he has never heard a single player or agent ever expeess concern over turf during any kind of recruitment process. So please stop asking about it

Edited by SpursFlu

The players preference is in part based on their perception that playing on turf is more taxing on the legs and that yes there is higher rate/risk of injury by playing on turf fields.   

Of course MDS is going to say something along those lines.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  He has a team and playing environment to try and sell to potential transfer targets.  How has that been going by the way?   Whether players tell him explicitly that the turf plays a factor or not, the incoming players have been underwhelming. 

Here's a 2014 survey of 99 MLS players from 6 different teams (done anonymously to get honest answers) about their opinions of playing on turf.

Over 90% of players "reported that playing surface type and quality influenced the risk of sustaining an injury. Players believed that playing and training on artificial turf increased the risk of sustaining a non-contact injury as opposed to a contact injury."

27 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Here's a 2014 survey of 99 MLS players from 6 different teams (done anonymously to get honest answers) about their opinions of playing on turf.

Over 90% of players "reported that playing surface type and quality influenced the risk of sustaining an injury. Players believed that playing and training on artificial turf increased the risk of sustaining a non-contact injury as opposed to a contact injury."

So sorry.. who got injured by playing on turf?

On 11/25/2019 at 10:27 PM, Acid-Tone said:

The players preference is in part based on their perception that playing on turf is more taxing on the legs and that yes there is higher rate/risk of injury by playing on turf fields.   

Of course MDS is going to say something along those lines.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  He has a team and playing environment to try and sell to potential transfer targets.  How has that been going by the way?   Whether players tell him explicitly that the turf plays a factor or not, the incoming players have been underwhelming. 

https://mastersoccermind.com/the-reason-why-all-soccer-players-prefer-grass-over-turf/

Decent blog post and I agree, taxation is huge. Recovery time between matches is key and recovery post matches is simply more difficult on harder surfaces.

When you have a condensed schedule avoiding injuries is hard enough cause the amount of muscle/joint fatigue players have...now when you have to play a bunch of those games on turf prolonging the regeneration and recovery between matches, it's a very bad mix.  I could see why so many players don't like it, or try and avoid it. I remember a David Beckham quote was something along the lines that it took him almost two weeks to recovery from his first turf game ( I'm sure he was exaggerating, but still, his body was prolly using an entirely different set of stabilizer muscles and ligaments, so he felt it more). 

At the end of the day it depends on the player, as every player is going to recover differently. I think it's more the taxation vs on field injury issues, at least my two cents.

Back to our lad, let's hope he works his way into the first team or finds himself on a January loan where he can get minutes, turf or grass :).

1 hour ago, Longrange said:

im gonna name Andre Dawson for one...admittedly he did have previous knee issues, but its known that the turf at the Big O exacerbated them 

You're talking about Astroturf, which was basically a thin carpet laid over hard concrete. It has no relation to the 4G pitches they're playing on these days.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Wasn’t there a rumour they were going to sell Piette to Deportivo?

Yeah there was one a while ago saying they were interested but haven't seen anything since. Piette is in negotiations with the Impact right now, and has been for a while I believe.

Edited by Chad_Impact

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugh, the last place I want to see Eustaquio is MLS. I hate how the league treats young non dp players.

Montreal are trying to shove a "hometown Discount" down Piette's mouth and he's not having it.

Montreal just activated the optional year on his contract.

We see what MDS meant by "MLS is a prison"

He's such a great leader on the pitch. Leadership lies with his name...d5n880p-3d91a1d7-9e60-49a5-8400-ed7ead83