Stephen Eustaquio

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Montreal are trying to shove a "hometown Discount" down Piette's mouth and he's not having it.

Montreal just activated the optional year on his contract.

We see what MDS meant by "MLS is a prison"

He's such a great leader on the pitch. Leadership lies with his name...d5n880p-3d91a1d7-9e60-49a5-8400-ed7ead83

What I don't understand is why they decided to keep Taider...the guy is nowhere near worth a DP spot based off last season.

Just like Cavallini, I hope it's just a pit stop on the way up. 

Better Montreal than Orlando. He'll get some Champions League at least for a few games. Hope he is in MLS for 1 season max. Same goes for Cavallini.

I was really liking that we had Liga Mx representation. Sad to see that replaced with MLS. We have enough players in MLS already.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just like Cavallini, I hope it's just a pit stop on the way up. 

Better Montreal than Orlando. He'll get some Champions League at least for a few games. Hope he is in MLS for 1 season max. Same goes for Cavallini.

I was really liking that we had Liga Mx representation. Sad to see that replaced with MLS. We have enough players in MLS already.

Why would he be in MLS for just one season? He will most likely be offered the standard 2 years + 2 club option years. They will lock him in at a low $ contract since he has few offers at the moment due to his injury. And when he does well and attracts reasonable but not amazing offers, they won't sell him.  

MLS will be a prison sentence for Eustaquio. I hope he has other options. 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

And when he does well and attracts reasonable but not amazing offers, they won't sell him.

There may be hope if the new Sporting Director does what he says he wants to do and makes the Whitecaps a development team like he did with Schalke in the Bundesliga. And maybe he can use his connections as a selling point.   

My hope is that they won't try to trap a guy like Eustaquio, like Orlando tried with Larin, because it would ruin this selling point for any future players they try it with.. hopefully. 

Stephen Eustáquio is very close to returning to Portuguese football, and according to information gathered by zerozero, Paços de Ferreira is in a good position to guarantee the midfielder on loan. The Luso-Canadian midfielder has already said goodbye to Cruz Azul fans through his social networks and has several offers of Premier League clubs on the table, but the beavers are ahead of the race. Eustáquio stood out in the service of Chaves and Leixões, having exchanged the flavienses for Cruz Azul in January last season, for a budget around 4 million euros. The midfielder suffered a serious injury after his second game in Mexico but is already recovered and can now relaunch his NOS League career.

Text taken from zerozero.pt
https://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=270524

No offense to Impact fans, but I much prefer a loan back to Liga Nos:

- he gets minutes right away (no waiting til February for CCL)

- stays in the Cruz Azul picture, a club and league deserving of his quality. 

- a strong loan may put him in the shopping window for bigger Portuguese or European clubs 

Edited by Obinna

I’m not sure it’s the greatest move.  The team he’s going to is deep in the relegation  zone.  Playing in a bottom feeder Portuguese club isn’t going to give him a ton of exposure for bigger leagues will it?

I realize this is just a loan deal until the end of the season but I had hoped for stronger opportunities.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m not sure it’s the greatest move.  The team he’s going to is deep in the relegation  zone.  Playing in a bottom feeder Portuguese club isn’t going to give him a ton of exposure for bigger leagues will it?

I realize this is just a loan deal until the end of the season but I had hoped for stronger opportunities.

They can loan him to another club at the end of the season if they get relegated. 

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The club Cruz Azul bought him from was also a bottom feeder. Didn't stop them from buying him. 

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Might not be that big of an issue. I've seen some of the relegated players moving on to the bigger clubs in Portugal before.

Especially with Eustaquio, who was already getting a good reputation in the league and had interests from teams like Sporting. This was while he was playing for a relegation bound team. Might be a chance to reignite those interests.

The one real issue is the money. unless he takes a pay count, only a hand full of teams in Portugal can potentially pay him.

It's a step down on paper, sure, but whatever. He's not playing. He hasn't played in a year. He's getting paid to stay away. Anything is better than this, no?

I can see the benefit in a loan to Pacos de Ferreira because it gets him playing right away, although he would be back to where he was when he transferred to Mexico - low-end, relegation threatened Portuguese team.

If the transfer to Montreal is permanent, it's probably a better move than Pacos.

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

It's a step down on paper, sure, but whatever. He's not playing. He hasn't played in a year. He's getting paid to stay away. Anything is better than this, no?

I can see the benefit in a loan to Pacos de Ferreira because it gets him playing right away, although he would be back to where he was when he transferred to Mexico - low-end, relegation threatened Portuguese team.

If the transfer to Montreal is permanent, it's probably a better move than Pacos.

Right. He was playing with the Cruz Azul U20s. A move to Montreal is a step up.

Interesting that Cruz Azul want to loan him back to Portugal rather than a Liga MX club. That perhaps suggests they are looking for a non-rival to eventually buy him.

I am sure they'll take the money if Montreal offer it up, but that'll probably mean burning a DP spot, which doesn't make much sense. Cruz Azul are going to want more than $1.5 million (the TAM limit), since they spent $4 million on him.

Even on a TAM deal, I am not sure it is sensible. Piette and Taider are starters and Eustaquio is too good to be on the bench. Shome is waiting in the wings too. Central midfield doesn't seem like a position of need for the Impact, but when a player of Eustaquio's quality is available, I get that they'd try and bring him in and sort the rest out later...

I thought TAM and GAM are terms used for wages and not transfer fees?

A good manager finds a way to get his best players on the field.  So I don't think you turn down a player like Eustaquio because CM is an area where you think you already have some decent players.