Stephen Eustaquio

13 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Still think a national team call up before 2020 is pushing it but would love if he proved me wrong for the Oct/Nov Nations league games vs US.

The article translation isn't exactly clear but if he's back to training with his club in September he should definitely be called for our first CL game. Even if he only trains or plays limited minutes it would definitely be worth it for him to start integrating.

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The article translation isn't exactly clear but if he's back to training with his club in September he should definitely be called for our first CL game. Even if he only trains or plays limited minutes it would definitely be worth it for him to start integrating.

Yeah that's a good point. Herman seems like the type of coach who will want to integrate him with the squad. 

• 3 weeks later...

His Instagram shows he is training and working out with his club now :).

https://www.instagram.com/stepheustaquio/?hl=en

40k+ followers, not bad lol.

In my opinion he would have definitely helped immensely as a "Serqio Busquets " type of guy to kill the game off and hold possession vs Haiti in the midfield.  

Here is hoping his recovery continues to go on the right track. I would love to see him get called in Sept for squad integration +possibly first cap on limited minutes. 

Our true #6's are really only Piette and maybe Fraser at the moment without him.

Praying this all comes together and he comes out of the ACL 100%, he could be bossing our midfield for the next decade for us.

@admin any chance we can shift this thread from "players" to the main CMNT board ? ... We need more positive things to chat about in there right now, and in my eyes this is one of them. :)

Edited by apbsmith
Just a question...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, Obinna said:

Not included in Cruz Azul's Leagues Cup roster.

I believe I read somewhere they are hopeful for a fall return. 

My buddy is going through ACL rehab was working out pretty good after only 4 months. However when he was at 8 months, he was still on no contact and not able to cutting (side to side), he's at 8 months. 

I have no idea what day Eustaquio had surgery.

Edit- my buddy was 10 months full recovery. Looks like Eustaquio was same timeline, even a bit ahead :).

Edited by apbsmith
Update

• 4 weeks later...

"Eustáquio está en la etapa final de su recuperación, pero se tenía estimado que su regreso se produciría hasta octubre, por lo que su aparición en esta nueva convocatoria ha sido sumamente sorprendente"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soyfutbol.com/amp/ligas/Cruz-Azul-Brayan-Angulo-y-Stephen-Eustaquio-en-la-convocatoria-20190815-0026.html

Article excerpt from Soyfutbol today suggesting he is way ahead of the original estimated recovery timeline of October. Not ready for a recall just yet, though.

Tweet from the club indicating he's back to training.  Very much on schedule to resume play in October.  

Cruz Azul is currently 8th in Liga MX 6 games into the Apertura, but expectations are high.

Stephen will have extremely tough competition on his return.  Cruz Azul plays a 4-4-1-1, and their 2 central midfielders are both expensive international signings, Argentinian Guillermo Fernandez and former Orlando City DP, Peruvian Yoshi Yotun.

10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Tweet from the club indicating he's back to training.  Very much on schedule to resume play in October.  

Cruz Azul is currently 8th in Liga MX 6 games into the Apertura, but expectations are high.

Stephen will have extremely tough competition on his return.  Cruz Azul plays a 4-4-1-1, and their 2 central midfielders are both expensive international signings, Argentinian Guillermo Fernandez and former Orlando City DP, Peruvian Yoshi Yotun.

They invested a pretty good amount into him as well though, so I would imagine they will give him the chances once healthy. The coach is also Portuguese and one of the reasons he's there in the first place. 

On August 27, 2019 at 8:35 AM, Chad_Impact said:

They invested a pretty good amount into him as well though, so I would imagine they will give him the chances once healthy. The coach is also Portuguese and one of the reasons he's there in the first place. 

Pedro Caixina, the Portuguese coach who brought Stephen in, has just been fired.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like he traveled with the Cruz Azul squad for their League Cup Final game against Tigres, but won't make the final game squad:

" For this duel Siboldi traveled with 28 players, and although he had to discard five to give a list of 23, the objective was the union of the group and that all were together, including the Portuguese Stephen Eustaquio and José Madueña, among those who will not see action."

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.elporvenir.mx/%3Fcontent%3Dnoticia%26id%3D169080&prev=search  (The Google Translate link)

It is encouraging that he is being integrated back into the squad, but it would be nice to see him eligible - even if just for a sub appearance. 

EDIT: Game is on TSN1 tonight at 10:30 EST.

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

https://twitter.com/alanlarav/status/1178812985197748224

Back in full training with the squad, reading some comments it seems he has impressed and fans are excited to see him.

Every CA match I have been checking to see if he makes the bench.  I hope we get so see him on OneSoccer when he makes his re-debut.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice interview on the CSA twitter with Eustaquio. He mentions this is the first time hes been back to Canada since he was 7 years old when he initially left for europe. I had no idea he hadnt been back, especially with his brother playing here for the last 5 years. 

Edited by king1010

30 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Nice interview on the CSA twitter with Eustaquio. He mentions this is the first time hes been back to Canada since he was 7 years old when he initially left for europe. I had no idea he hadnt been back, especially with his brother playing here for the last 5 years. 

So....he's genuinely only kind of Canadian then, eh? I honestly had no idea. Sort of somewhere between Issey Canadian and Pacheco Canadian?