Stephen Eustaquio

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not ready to toss Piette aside yet, but I did notice he was slower than the pace of play last night.  At home against the US though, he was a beast. 

Sam just looked out of form, which wasn't a surprise given no play offs for him.

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Piette for me is the one you bring in to shut down the game.

Eustaquio is a better choice to start and set the pace to a game

Totally agree . Piette is not  dynamic enough and he hurts the offence. When Eustaquio came on, we were able to control the midfield better and he was making better passes out, he was able to open the game up. Piette is a really good MLS player.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Totally agree . Piette is not  dynamic enough and he hurts the offence. When Eustaquio came on, we were able to control the midfield better and he was making better passes out, he was able to open the game up. Piette is a really good MLS player.

He has his role in international football too though. Our tactics Oct 15 really suited his style as a destroyer. This Friday not so much. 

15 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I thought piette was one of the few good players out there. Seemed to win every tackle.

I’m with you. I thought he was the only mid fielder that actually did his job that game. He shut down a lot of plays and made some huge tackles. We know he isn’t a dynamic passer... that isn’t his job tho. Kaye,Oso,Arfield were horrible. 

Eustaquio can be that destroyer role as well. That is what he was doing in  Portugal. Yes Piette played well last month but the USA changed their tactics and he wasn’t very good. Just because he does one good thing doesn’t mean hey he needs to be out there all game. We are going to need more complete players out there to win against the big boys.  Multiple times he gave it away when we needed him to control and be creative. Honesty we need Hutch out there !

Edited by SpecialK

Rewatched the game and I am very happy to have Eustaquio in this program.

This is the first time I have seen him play (aside from highlights) and for me he proved able to play at the international level in concacaf, no problem (and no surprise).

A lot of things to be excited about. He's really a deep-lying playmaker and we do not have a player like that.

Piette is a destroyer and Kaye is a box-to-box. Hutchinson is basically done, but he's more of a jack-of-all-trades defensive midfielder at this stage of his career. Eustaquio gives us a different look.

I think we need to find a way to start him. I think a midfield 3 of Eustaquio, Kaye, Arfield/Osorio should be our general starters moving forward. Piette can replace him to close games out. His style of play is perfect for that.

It's really a shame Cruz Azul are willing to part ways with him, but with his international debut coming at Orlando, I wonder if any MLS teams saw him and were interested?

Orlando itself may be a possible place for him to move. Obviously they worked with Cruz Azul on the Yoshi Yotun deal. There are Portugese and Brazilian players at Orlando, not to mention Canadians.

I would prefer a loan by the way if that were to happen, because......Orlando. Good option for getting his career back on track in the short term, but long term I do want our players in winning environments.

Edited by Obinna

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's really a shame Cruz Azul are willing to part ways with him, but with his international debut coming at Orlando, I wonder if any MLS teams saw him and were interested?

Orlando itself may be a possible place for him to move. Obviously they worked with Cruz Azul on the Yoshi Yotun deal. There are Portugese and Brazilian players at Orlando, not to mention Canadians.

I would prefer a loan by the way if that were to happen, because......Orlando. Good option for getting his career back on track in the short term, but long term I do want our players in winning environments.

Personally I think he is too young and talented to be in the MLS.  Not that he is "too good" for the MLS or that he is better quality than some of the players in MLS.  I just think it's too early for him, frankly I was surprised to see him leave Europe for Mexico  and figued the move was beneficial to switching allegiances to Canada and of course the Portuguese connection.  Unless clubs are unwilling to take him on due to his injury situation, I don't see another quick move to MLS.  We talk about players like Borges possibly moving to Europe, I think Eustaquio has a better shot at moving back to Europe again over any other prospective domestic Canadians in CPL/MLS/LIGA MX.

I hope he gets his shot at Cruz Azul but would love to see him prove Cruz Azul wrong at another Liga MX club.

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Personally I think he is too young and talented to be in the MLS.  Not that he is "too good" for the MLS or that he is better quality than some of the players in MLS.  I just think it's too early for him, frankly I was surprised to see him leave Europe for Mexico  and figued the move was beneficial to switching allegiances to Canada and of course the Portuguese connection.  Unless clubs are unwilling to take him on due to his injury situation, I don't see another quick move to MLS.  We talk about players like Borges possibly moving to Europe, I think Eustaquio has a better shot at moving back to Europe again over any other prospective domestic Canadians in CPL/MLS/LIGA MX.

I hope he gets his shot at Cruz Azul but would love to see him prove Cruz Azul wrong at another Liga MX club.

I'm with you on all of that.

I am factoring in the likelyhood teams will be wary due to his injury situation.

He may have to prove himself again before another Liga MX or (the right) European opportunity comes around.

I see MLS and/or Orlando as a short term way for him to do that. Obviously though it would be better if he goes on loan to a Liga MX side, or gets sold outright.

Since we haven't heard any rumors yet, I am sort of downgrading my expectations to MLS, if that makes sense. Perhaps I should be patient though....the news of him on the way out is still fresh and for all we know Cruz Azul may take a U-turn and decide to keep him.

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm with you on all of that.

I am factoring in the likelyhood teams will be wary due to his injury situation.

He may have to prove himself again before another Liga MX or (the right) European opportunity comes around.

I see MLS and/or Orlando as a short term way for him to do that. Obviously though it would be better if he goes on loan to a Liga MX side, or gets sold outright.

Since we haven't heard any rumors yet, I am sort of downgrading my expectations to MLS, if that makes sense. Perhaps I should be patient though....the news of him on the way out is still fresh and for all we know Cruz Azul may take a U-turn and decide to keep him.

Just looking through some translated chatter from the last few days (post US game) and there are some claiming his debut for us may given Cruz Azul cause to reconsider.  Despite the scoreline, he played well and quite confident.  The stuff about being sent on "vacation" before the game made it seem like a done deal, but you never know - he may still fight his way back into their plans.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just looking through some translated chatter from the last few days (post US game) and there are some claiming his debut for us may given Cruz Azul cause to reconsider.  Despite the scoreline, he played well and quite confident.  The stuff about being sent on "vacation" before the game made it seem like a done deal, but you never know - he may still fight his way back into their plans.

Great to hear, thanks for sharing that. I looked for some chatter this morning online and found none, which prompted me to make that post. I very much hope he finds his way into the Cruz Azul team, because he very clearly has the requisite talent to be a regular in Liga MX based on what I have seen.

I have to admit I had not seen much of his club play, judging by where he had played and where he was playing I figured he had some pedigree, injuries can change everything, I wasn't expecting him to start though! From the brief sample size I have seen from him, he maybe should have started or at least come in earlier, hindsight is great but Herdman is responsible for these decisions and I don't think he got it right!

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Rewatched the game and I am very happy to have Eustaquio in this program.

This is the first time I have seen him play (aside from highlights) and for me he proved able to play at the international level in concacaf, no problem (and no surprise).

A lot of things to be excited about. He's really a deep-lying playmaker and we do not have a player like that.

Piette is a destroyer and Kaye is a box-to-box. Hutchinson is basically done, but he's more of a jack-of-all-trades defensive midfielder at this stage of his career. Eustaquio gives us a different look.

I think we need to find a way to start him. I think a midfield 3 of Eustaquio, Kaye, Arfield/Osorio should be our general starters moving forward. Piette can replace him to close games out. His style of play is perfect for that.

Eustaquio looks to be our most technical player in midfield.  My friend and I were both very impressed any time he was on the ball and that one little chipped pass he made to the side of their box late on was class.  It's very encouraging to see a player playing his first truly competitive minutes in almost a year and coming out with that confidence.  He wanted to make things happen (and I'm confident he will). 

I'd agree that he needs to start moving forward.  As for the calls for him to go to MLS... no let's not do that.  He's 22 and can continue to improve at a higher level.

He's a tough player too.  He's no Piette "pitbull" but he's not afraid to slide or make contact.  His skill, passing & vision is much higher though.

There is a reason why this time last year he was playing midfield alongside players such as Joao Felix, Rafael Leao, Diogo Jota, Gedson & Ruben Dias.  Those 5 players market value range are currently 23, 25 , 37, 40 & 114 million each.  Those were just the big names I could come off the top of my head from that squad.  Players like Joao Carvalho & Ruben Vinagre are likely valued above 10 million as well.

In case anyone was wondering, according to TransferMarkt both Davies & David are worth just over 17 million.  So just goes to show you the level he has been playing with for Portugal.

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He's a tough player too.  He's no Piette "pitbull" but he's not afraid to slide or make contact.  His skill, passing & vision is much higher though.

There was one play where he anticipated a pass and stepped up to win the ball, showing that combativeness you are talking about.

I also liked his off the ball movement in our third of the field. The little pockets he was finding was impressive and the stuff you would expect from a Liga MX player / former Portugal U-21 player.

It would be amazing to see him given a chance to secure a spot at CA.  There is no way an injury like that wouldn't make teams a bit gun-shy about his current physical condition, so a move would almost definitely entail a bit of a step down to reassert himself.  If he could do that at CA, it would seem to be the best outcome for all involved.

I guess that is the only good thing from an otherwise disastrous/forgetful performance from Fri. night!!!!!..... Needless to remember!!!!... It's too bad I left at the time he came on and missed all of his good plays that everyone in here is describing!!!!... I'll check out his plays later and like everyone else, so pumped to have him in our program and commit quite early, particularly with the events from last night!!!! 😢

Hopefully his time at Cruz Azúl could be a springboard for him to bigger & better things in the not too distant future, another positive is that it looks like he has fully healed from that devastating injury earlier on the year/Cruz Azúl career to the point that Cruz Azúl may be re-considering parting ways with him!!!!.... Sure hope he wins a starting MF position at Cruz Azúl and patrols that midfield with my peruano compatriot Yotún!!!!😉...... A player worth following his progress for sure in the next little while until we (cough, cough) reconvene again, lmfao!!!!

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It seems crazy that he’s only coming off the bench for the reserve team. He’s been healthy for a few weeks now, I think 

Maybe they are slowly building him back up? It's not like he went 90 minutes for Canada. Whether they decide to keep him or not in the future, right now he is a Cruz Azul player, so they are going to want to get him back to his best.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:41 AM, Obinna said:

Is it just me that prefers the CANMNT regulars stay away from MLS and the turf fields?  Especially Stephen, given his brutal knee injury. 

Perhaps its due to my own history with turf and a blown out knee, but i doubt anyone with a previous injury feels good playing on turf.