Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

7 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I’m very, very worried for Sam. Hatay is very close to the epicentre, and there are many scary videos from the area starting to surface on twitter/reddit. Widespread devastation, collapsed buildings, natural gas pipelines on fire, etc. I’m going to refrain from posting any video, because most of them are very distressing, but they’re not hard to find.

The runway at the local airport apparently has a giant crack across it.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/breaking/hatay-airport-suffers-massive-damage-in-turkey-earthquake/

Please be okay.

edit: reports coming out that Hatayspor player Christian Atsu, sporting  director Taner Savut, and a translator are believed to be trapped under rubble. Fuck me.

Sam had posted a few things in his Instagram story about the earthquake so I think he’s ok for now thank goodness.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

The fact that they say he has injuries implied that he’s alive. Their sporting director is still in the rubble. What a catastrophe.

Their backup keeper died....

The coach gave them days off from training after that win and many left the region on Monday.

Edit: sorry, did that seem odd, I was on my phone. The second keeper is confirmed dead from the quake.

I heard that many players were not in Antioquia because they'd taken days off and were not affected, but Atsu and others were still there. Atsu used to play in Spain, he's fairly well known.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The coach gave them days off from training after that win and many left the region on Monday.

Will the club and Sam continue playing? Maybe in a different stadium, like what Shaktar is doing in Kiev for the time being? What are the steps forward for the club at this point in time? I guess no one really knows, important thing is everyone is okay.

For anyone interested in donating to the Red Cross, there's a donation drive / effort that Sam and Atiba are doing...the link is mentioned in the TSN interview:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/adekugbe-recounts-terrifying-earthquake-chaotic-aftermath-in-tur~2625012

I tried the link and it ended up on this page, which does mention Sam and Atiba:

https://secure.redcross.ca/registrant/donate.aspx?eventid=382177&langpref=en-CA

On 2/7/2023 at 6:03 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Edit: sorry, did that seem odd, I was on my phone. The second keeper is confirmed dead from the quake.

I heard that many players were not in Antioquia because they'd taken days off and were not affected, but Atsu and others were still there. Atsu used to play in Spain, he's fairly well known.

I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that the goalkeeper who died was a backup keeper for a nearby second division side, not Hatayspor.

Athletic's Kloke is saying Akedugbe is looking at Istanbul teams for a loan deal.

According to a source with knowledge of Adekugbe’s situation, Hatayspor players and representatives have been told by the Turkish Football Federation that they are free to sign with any team interested in signing them to a short-term loan until the summer. Crucially, any foreign players would not count as foreign players when signing on loan deals, which would potentially increase their options.

The source said Adekugbe has been in discussions with Turkey’s Istanbul-based teams about a loan deal and that it is likely he will sign with one of those teams.

Adekugbe’s contract with Hatayspor runs until June 30, 2024.

Hatayspor players have been informed that the likelihood of the club continuing into next season will be re-evaluated in the summer, according to a source, meaning Adekugbe’s long-term future in Turkey is still to be determined. 

While there were offers for him in the January transfer window, including from two prominent Turkish teams, Hatayspor set Adekugbe’s price too high for some of the European-based and Major League Soccer teams interested in his services. A source, who could not speak publicly on any offers, told The Athletic that Adekugbe still has serious interest from multiple MLS sides and remains very high on three teams’ discovery rights lists.

https://theathletic.com/4192690/2023/02/13/turkey-earthquake-canadian-soccer-players/

2 hours ago, red card said:

The source said Adekugbe has been in discussions with Turkey’s Istanbul-based teams about a loan deal and that it is likely he will sign with one of those teams.

Besiktas (the natural fit), Fenerbahce, Galatasaray are the names I would hope for, but Fatih , Istanbulspor, Kasimpasa and Istanbul Basakheir may have also been possibilites. 

Outside the big 3, Istanbul Basakheir are clearly the strongest. They are currently 3rd and regularly get into Europe. It would be a clear upgrade, just like any of the traditional big 3. I'm gussing everywhere else would be lateral at best. 

I don't watch Turkey now a days, but here are some of the top left backs in this group of teams:

These are the only 3 left backs amongst the teams with a greater TM value than Adekugbe. 

Alternatively, I wonder if he just says whatever and comes to MLS. It's pretty lateral and the season is longer so more games, plus with the situation in flux Hatay may not be ready for fall anyways. Lots of games with Leagues Cup as well. 

I guess if I had to choose, I would say if it's not one of the big 3, come back to MLS. It's only a loan.