Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Game ended 3-0 against and the little bits I have seen, they don't look great. 

They were fighting for the title two years ago, mid table last year, and are now relegation contenders. They kept losing pieces each season. The season Larin almost won golden boot was the year their striker led the league.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On the bench again.

A bit concerning, third week in a row. He got pulled at half losing 0-2, (0-4 full time) four games ago.  They have won the last two with him just getting 4' in one. 

Subbed on at half.  His team losing 2-0 again. 

I assume they aren't playing him just to make sure he is fresh for Qatar and has a chip on his shoulder so he kills it in the World Cup and his value rises. All part of their plan.

Half watching his team v. Beskitas.   The latter's new recruits (included a West Ham player on loan and Delle Ali) looking good and have been dominant.  A good cross by Adekugbe wasted, though.  

edit: Hatayspor much better in second, have leveled the match at 1-1. 

edit2: Kanak the player that has been taking Sam's spot comes on and score the winner. 2-1 the final.  Sam going 90'.

(The commentator, an American Bein one, is doing my head in trying to over pronounce everything correctly but mostly just Spanishish.  I think he was one that was doing the Argentina - Jamaica game at the international break and could not understand that Michail Antonio is English - really - and pronounces his name accordingly.)  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any transfer rumours for Adekugbe?

Strange it has been quite around him. He played in 3 matches (only started 1), but he was pretty decent (as always) and he's played a hell of a lot more than Waterman and Cornelius, both of which have transfer rumours around them, despite not playing a single minute.

Johnston, Kone, Miller, Waterman, Cornelius....they are (or were) all owned by MLS clubs. Is that the common demonanator? Are scouts targeting players specifically because they are contracted to MLS clubs? Can't help but wonder....

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Strange it has been quite around him. He played in 3 matches (only started 1), but he was pretty decent (as always) and he's played a hell of a lot more than Waterman and Cornelius, both of which have transfer rumours around them, despite not playing a single minute.

Johnston, Kone, Miller, Waterman, Cornelius....they are (or were) all owned by MLS clubs. Is that the common demonanator? Are scouts targeting players specifically because they are contracted to MLS clubs? Can't help but wonder....

I would think that any player subject to the European transfer window (like Adekugbe) would have far fewer rumours swirling than the MLS guys who can complete transfers now.  No point advertising interest in a player when they can't actually sign for another 3 weeks.  That would just help the competition and potentially drive up the price.

Hopefully chatter picks up in January.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It is weird how he hasn’t attracted attention.  He was one of the quiet stars of our qualifying campaign - with a goal against the US in one of the highest profile games of the series.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is weird how he hasn’t attracted attention.  He was one of the quiet stars of our qualifying campaign - with a goal against the US in one of the highest profile games of the series.  

I think El Hombre may have hit the nail on the head. We'll see if the chatter picks up in January. Hopefully it does. I think Sam deserves another move up the ladder. Bigger clubs in Turkey, or possibly teams in the Bundesliga, should be taking notice.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He's also 28 next month which wont help

For sure. And that's why I imagine a small step up the ladder, such as a better club within Turkey for instance. I rate Waterman, but I cannot imagine a world where Fenerbahce and Besiktas are interested in 26 y.o. Joel Waterman, but are not interested in 27 y.o. Adekugbe, who they've been able to see up close for a season and a half now. 

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For sure. And that's why I imagine a small step up the ladder, such as a better club within Turkey for instance. I rate Waterman, but I cannot imagine a world where Fenerbahce and Besiktas are interested in 26 y.o. Joel Waterman, but are not interested in 27 y.o. Adekugbe, who they've been able to see up close for a season and a half now. 

I find the interest in Waterman kind of odd too, but age affects people/positions differently. You see CBs playing a lot later than a LB most of the time because there’s less reliance on speed, which obviously is one of the main things you start to lose as you age. I do agree though that Sam probably deserves a move up still, he still has a few good years ahead of him.

Yeah, I've been surprised for like the last year that there hasn't been a single Adekugbe rumor. Feel like he's our most underrated player- he's so good for Canada. I haven't watched so much Hatayspor, but what I've seen, he's good for them too. Not expecting a massive transfer or whatever, but he should be good enough for a Turkish giant or something. His speed and agility would look awesome in Belgium too.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I've been surprised for like the last year that there hasn't been a single Adekugbe rumor. Feel like he's our most underrated player- he's so good for Canada. I haven't watched so much Hatayspor, but what I've seen, he's good for them too. Not expecting a massive transfer or whatever, but he should be good enough for a Turkish giant or something. His speed and agility would look awesome in Belgium too.

Even a return to a strong Championship side would be interesting. 

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Adekugbe and Hatayspor are having a worse league year than last. That could affect things. Also, not sure when his contract is to, maybe after this season the offers will come.

He has like a $2.3 million transfer value. Feel like that’s surely low enough for a team to take a flyer on and Hatayspor who isn’t going anywhere, to accept? I dunno, if Joel Waterman is getting attention, crazy that Sam isn’t.