Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No shame in not being quite at the Galatasaray level (maybe, Turkish big clubs can be fickle) but you'd still think he'd have better options, even from other quality leagues.

He might. Turkey tabloids will always be the loudest but it's safe to assume he probably has eyes elsewhere too.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

He might. Turkey tabloids will always be the loudest but it's safe to assume he probably has eyes elsewhere too.

Transfer Rumours are a big new feature, there and everywhere else. Something like "we asked him and he said no" can easily be spun by the club as "we've had contact with him".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hatayspor played a friendly against Hull City today and Sam wasn't in the squad.

The only recent news I have seen about him (other than being removed from Gold Cup Squad) comes from Galatasaray sites saying he went back to his parent club. 

Any other news so far?

He was in Langley at a VFC match a week or so ago, I think.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This isn't a good thing for Canada ultimately. Granted at this rate it never looked like he was going to move up in competition.

Listen, when you get the opportunity to move to a Back to Back Voyageurs Cup champion and participate in the Champions Cup, you have to take it. Really, there's no higher honour.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Listen, when you get the opportunity to move to a Back to Back Voyageurs Cup champion and participate in the Champions Cup, you have to take it. Really, there's no higher honour.

I know there is a touch of irony there, but as a Caps fan this is the first time in many years I have the sense they are truly ambitious, willing to spend to get somewhere, and are looking for some of the best of Canadian internationals. So I am pleased.

For me, it is not so much about getting deep in this Leagues Cup, but getting a solid playoff position and making it through more than one round.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know there is a touch of irony there, but as a Caps fan this is the first time in many years I have the sense they are truly ambitious, willing to spend to get somewhere, and are looking for some of the best of Canadian internationals. So I am pleased.

For me, it is not so much about getting deep in this Leagues Cup, but getting a solid playoff position and making it through more than one round.

I'm enjoying the Leagues Cup but it's the MLS playoffs that are going to matter more to local fans. The sale of Gressel to me was poor (I'd have preferred to let him walk for free after the season). We'll see if they get this deal across the line in time. If they do, the back line is considerably stronger (both on attack and defending).

In some ways this is a (bitter)sweet homecoming for Sam.  He (kind of like Cornelius) was a bit of an unwanted stepchild at the Caps - loaned out all over the world, and eventually having to make it on his own in Europe.  But finally today, they actually want him to play for them.   Welcome home Sam!

(Speaking of Cornelius, let's #BringDerekHome and get this Whitecaps Canada party started!)

(Speaking of which, can someone remind me what Veselinovic's and Gauld's Canadian eligibility looks like?)

lol @ some of the negative comments here. I would understand being disappointed in this move if he was playing at Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, or Besiktas but Hatayspor were a lower-table club and would get soundly beaten by most MLS teams. The big clubs in Turkey > MLS, but VWFC > Hatayspor in terms of their level of play. As the MLS continues to progress, we need to change our mindset around "Europe is ALWAYS better" because at this point, the quality of MLS has really improved and so have their wages. When guys get to be in their late 20's like Adekugbe and Laryea, they are going to want to get compensated well and if Canadian MLS clubs are willing and able to do that, we should be happy that they're finally spending money on Canadian guys rather than Europeans, Americans, or South Americans.