Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Just a reminder that Adekugbe created the only goal Morocco has given up in the World Cup through their first 5 games so far (including the shootout vs Spain!!).

This is a great segue for me to get into my biggest gripe about the rules- how are OGs credited to the player who deflected it in? Adekugbe had a shot on net, it ricochet'd off of the defender and passed Bounou. That should be a goal credited to a one Sammy Adekugbe.

I understand if like, the CB kicked it back to the keeper, the keeper fumbles the ball and it rolls in goal, that should be credited to the player, but redirections and defelections should be credited like they are in hockey- the last player that touched the ball gets the goal.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This is a great segue for me to get into my biggest gripe about the rules- how are OGs credited to the player who deflected it in? Adekugbe had a shot on net, it ricochet'd off of the defender and passed Bounou. That should be a goal credited to a one Sammy Adekugbe.

I understand if like, the CB kicked it back to the keeper, the keeper fumbles the ball and it rolls in goal, that should be credited to the player, but redirections and defelections should be credited like they are in hockey- the last player that touched the ball gets the goal.

I guess you agree that Adekugbe’s was an own goal because it was not a shot and wasn’t headed on goal. It was a textbook own goal. 

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It was not a shot on net. if no one touched it, the ball would have gone out for a throw in on the opposite side. It was clearly a cross that the defender put in his own net. Deflections are not automatically counted as own goals in soccer. It depends on the nature of the deflection.  

I think the rule is pretty much as you describe it, but your interpretation of sam's situation is different from fifa's.

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

It was not a shot on net. if no one touched it, the ball would have gone out for a throw in on the opposite side. It was clearly a cross that the defender put in his own net. Deflections are not automatically counted as own goals in soccer. It depends on the nature of the deflection.  

I think the rule is pretty much as you describe it, but your interpretation of sam's situation is different from fifa's.

That is what I thought too, but really, the way the camera shots cut on the play, I was not sure.

I guess I'd have to look at it again, but I haven't looked at a single Canada replay yet, I need to recover my health.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't a shot, and wasn't on net. I just rewatched it. If it was untouched it may have clipped the top of the 6 yard box and was headed for the corner flag give or take a couple yards on either side, but @Bigandyis probably right about it headed for a throw in.

It isn't an own goal if without the defensive team's deflection, the ball was still headed towards the net. Even if it's a case where the goalkeeper would have comfortably saved it if it hadn't been deflected.

16 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I misremembered it, because I could’ve sworn it was an actual shot on net, but just went back and watched. Still feel like OGs should be reserved for players who make explicit errors- kick it in your own net, keeper fumbles a ball, etc.

It was a cross and it was not going out watch the reply in slow mo on you tube

It was deflected my Morocco #5, had he not touched it maybe touched/cleared by their #6

But also (more likely, as a fan 😏)  had a very good chance to be right on Larin's foot (or ass) for a sure goal.

You can see Larin check his run the moment the defender touches it 

I also don't like the FIFA interpretation of "own goals" and think in this case it should be Sam's 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNBNFn7lm8&ab_channel=FIFA

Edited by ob1

FIFA's interpretation of own goals is weird. Some deflected shots that would have been going wide or saved on their own are given as own goals, others sometimes aren't. Sam's was a textbook own goal, but I think Giroud's header against England could easily have been given as an OG (goes off the England player after being headed, which clearly put the goalie off). 

In the end it doesn't really matter as the team is still credited with a goal. Just odd sometimes.

Yeah.  I think it is sketchy the way FIFA defines it.  That "own goal" in WCQ in Honduras was a more worthy candidate (and better example) of a goal that should be awarded to the shooter because it was more evident that the intent of the shooter (Buchanan) was to have it go in off of the defenders legs and into the net.  I think that those are the type of goals that should not be awarded as "own goals" but rather credited to the shooter.  And there are more and more of these type of goals,  I think in the last Euros there were a bunch of them.   

Whereas the goal against Morocco, its pretty clear that the intent was not to shoot on goal nor to have it deflect off of the defender.   So this one should be credited IMHO as an "own Goal" 

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

They should just eliminate the concept of own goal. It’s too subjective.  Last offensive player to touch the ball gets the goal.

Well hockey is like that.  What I hate about that is that the players can pad their stats with cheap points.   Own goals, second assists etc etc.  Powerplay points...etc.

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Well hockey is like that.  What I hate about that is that the players can pad their stats with cheap points.   Own goals, second assists etc etc.  Powerplay points...etc

If someone can consistently force “own goals” in soccer then I would argue they should get credit for it. If they can’t, it’s just random noise that evens out in the end 

8 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

In the end who cares. Give the offensive players the credit. 

I think most would agree that even if a goal is unquestionably an “own goal” there should still be an assist. Also, players who win penalties should be credited with an assist if a goal is scored and they don’t take the penalty.

Always baffles me how someone can get an assist for making a 2m pass at the halfway line but the two  above scenarios aren’t captured. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think most would agree that even if a goal is unquestionably an “own goal” there should still be an assist. Also, players who win penalties should be credited with an assist if a goal is scored and they don’t take the penalty.

Always baffles me how someone can get an assist for making a 2m pass at the halfway line but the two  above scenarios aren’t captured. 

Agreed.  

MLS may be different but generally if a 2m pass at the halfway line is followed by a long solo run and goal, an assist is not awarded. I don't even think assists were an official stat that was kept until recently.

Interesting

At least some stat places, you get an assist for drawing a penalty. 

But looking at the official UEFA stats for a player I remember drawing a penalty and they don't give it to him (twice).

Stats for Maxwell Cornet this year.  

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel-cornet/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/234781/saison/2022/wettbewerb/UCOL

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/players/250054950--maxwel-cornet/

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

By the way..   Wouldn't it have sucked if an important milestone goal, like the first ever goal score for Canada at the World cup,  would have been an own goal?  😀

Thankfully, that was not the case

I actually posted that it would be better if it were an own goal, just to get that balderdash behind us and get on with looking for a result.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't even think assists were an official stat that was kept until recently.

I think I remember reading that it was the 94 World Cup where it was a stat that started to get tracked in some leagues. Prior to that, people knew who was good at passing/setting up goals, they just didn't bother to track it with stats.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Just a reminder that Adekugbe created the only goal Morocco has given up in the World Cup through their first 5 games so far (including the shootout vs Spain!!).

If I was on the FIFA goal review committee I would've credited that goal to Sam... "nah man, he totally meant to bank it in off the defender. 100% intentional. That's an Adekube goal baby!" 😜

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I’m very, very worried for Sam. Hatay is very close to the epicentre, and there are many scary videos from the area starting to surface on twitter/reddit. Widespread devastation, collapsed buildings, natural gas pipelines on fire, etc. I’m going to refrain from posting any video, because most of them are very distressing, but they’re not hard to find.

The runway at the local airport apparently has a giant crack across it.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/breaking/hatay-airport-suffers-massive-damage-in-turkey-earthquake/

Please be okay.

edit: reports coming out that Hatayspor player Christian Atsu, sporting  director Taner Savut, and a translator are believed to be trapped under rubble. Fuck me.

Edited by footballfreak