Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

Nice to see our guys continuing to rise to new levels. Sam was a lot of fun to watch when he was a young Cap, but he was raw-as-hell and a bit rash, but he took his move to Europe and continued to grow and improve.  There were times during WCQ that I thought he was consistently among our top two or three players.  We're finally building some depth. Very happy for Sam! Now, let's get Tajon out of Brugges.

Sam had the biggest discrepancy IMO between club and country form- if you know nothing about club soccer and watch us play, he’s easily one of our best players and a guy you assume is playing in a top 5 league, but I can’t remember too many impressive Hatayspor highlights from him during his time there.

Now at Galatasaray, from what I’ve seen, he’s much closer to the player he is for Canada, and it’s really encouraging to see him perform at a level that suits his Canada form. Larin is very similar- I know causals who see him for Canada and think he’s a premier league guy, and then shocked when he was a DNP for a team in Belgium- now he’s in La Liga and killing it.

It’s unrelated, but it’s why I have a lot of hope for Tajon to land at a good club and perform well despite his relatively quiet stint at Brugge. It’s crazy when you think about it- there are so many players spread across so many leagues that it’s more difficult to connect a player with a team at his level than it is in other sports leagues, so there are way more cases of a bad fit or a mediocre club bringing a player down, or simply clubs not being aware of these hidden gems. 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sam had the biggest discrepancy IMO between club and country form- if you know nothing about club soccer and watch us play, he’s easily one of our best players and a guy you assume is playing in a top 5 league, but I can’t remember too many impressive Hatayspor highlights from him during his time there.

Now at Galatasaray, from what I’ve seen, he’s much closer to the player he is for Canada, and it’s really encouraging to see him perform at a level that suits his Canada form. Larin is very similar- I know causals who see him for Canada and think he’s a premier league guy, and then shocked when he was a DNP for a team in Belgium- now he’s in La Liga and killing it.

It’s unrelated, but it’s why I have a lot of hope for Tajon to land at a good club and perform well despite his relatively quiet stint at Brugge. It’s crazy when you think about it- there are so many players spread across so many leagues that it’s more difficult to connect a player with a team at his level than it is in other sports leagues, so there are way more cases of a bad fit or a mediocre club bringing a player down, or simply clubs not being aware of these hidden gems. 

Yeah, and then you toss in the fact that managers change frequently and sometimes mid-season, and a player's fate is made even more precarious. Davies is a good example: did not start again today. (Mind you, all of this was predicated on his playing a fairly terrible match recently.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the bench again today.  Third game in a row. 

It looks like they struggled in a couple games (a 3-3 draw with Karagümrük and the 1-3 loss to Besiktas) and he was subbed off in both. 

The last two games, they have gone with a young Turkish leftback who has struggled with injuries this season.  Unfortunately if you are just a Canada supporter, they have won with 2 clean sheets. 

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On the bench again today.  Third game in a row. 

It looks like they struggled in a couple games (a 3-3 draw with Karagümrük and the 1-3 loss to Besiktas) and he was subbed off in both. 

The last two games, they have gone with a young Turkish leftback who has struggled with injuries this season.  Unfortunately if you are just a Canada supporter, they have won with 2 clean sheets. 

I went looking through Galatasaray social media and forums a few weeks ago and they really hate Adekugbe. Online Turkish supporters seem to be very harsh generally (remember their over the top dislike of Larin) in fairness so I have no idea if what I was seeing was representative or not. Regardless, there was near consensus that we wasn’t good enough for them.  I have no idea how justified or not that view is.

Edited by Floortom

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

I went looking through Galatasaray social media and forums a few weeks ago and they really hate Adekugbe. Online Turkish supporters seem to be very harsh generally (remember their over the top dislike of Larin) in fairness so I have no idea if what I was seeing was representative or not. Regardless, there was near consensus that we wasn’t good enough for them.  I have no idea how justified or not that view is.

The takes I saw on their subreddit were decidedly more mixed. I wouldn’t say he’s popular, but he wasn’t getting much negative attention either.

• 3 weeks later...