Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

3 minutes ago, GasPed said:

In some ways this is a (bitter)sweet homecoming for Sam.  He (kind of like Cornelius) was a bit of an unwanted stepchild at the Caps - loaned out all over the world, and eventually having to make it on his own in Europe.  But finally today, they actually want him to play for them.   Welcome home Sam!

(Speaking of Cornelius, let's #BringDerekHome and get this Whitecaps Canada party started!)

(Speaking of which, can someone remind me what Veselinovic's and Gauld's Canadian eligibility looks like?)

Yeah, this appears to be an invention of your own mind. The 'Caps wanted to keep Sam all along, but Sam had his heart set on playing in England at that time. He drove his eventual transfer, not the club.

32 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yeah, this appears to be an invention of your own mind. The 'Caps wanted to keep Sam all along, but Sam had his heart set on playing in England at that time. He drove his eventual transfer, not the club.

It doesn’t fit the narrative you know of the MLS Canadian teams not liking Canadian players , so people just assume that that’s how this went down with him and Vancouver before .

36 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He did get stuck behind Harvey at the time as well, who Robinson preferred and essentially refused to return Sam to the starting lineup after returning from injury.  Sam (like so many other players) did have his heart set on Europe, and the Caps did eventually facilitate it.  But they likely could have gotten a bigger transfer fee (and moved him to better club initially) if Robinson hadn't been so stubbornly set on Harvey.

If transfer market is to be believed, VWC sold him in 2018 to Valenrenga for $250 euros and then bought him back for $1M euros.  Sam is clearly a better player now, but it seems an expensive approach to player development.

Still think it is a good move for all concerned.

To be honest in both the case of him and Laryea, sucks to say but I think we have to be realistic and accept that they hit their level. There clearly isn’t a team in the EPL that would give Richie a shot, and obviously the championship teams wanted someone else younger or cheaper.

in Sam’s case he was at his level, and I’m not sure what step up he could have made. Maybe not the most popular take, and maybe I’m wrong for Richie, but I mean it’s been a year of him killing it and no one came calling… I’m fine with them being in BC.

26 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

To be honest in both the case of him and Laryea, sucks to say but I think we have to be realistic and accept that they hit their level. There clearly isn’t a team in the EPL that would give Richie a shot, and obviously the championship teams wanted someone else younger or cheaper.

in Sam’s case he was at his level, and I’m not sure what step up he could have made. Maybe not the most popular take, and maybe I’m wrong for Richie, but I mean it’s been a year of him killing it and no one came calling… I’m fine with them being in BC.

Sam had his shot at Galatassaray. That’s a really good level. Only a handful or so of Canadians playing at a better club than that.

My gut feeling is that Sam made a lifestyle move. Life is precious and he could have lost his the day of that earthquake. Now his family and friends are a short flight away, not an entire world away. 

I am disappointed because I thought he could have made another push up the ladder at 28 years old. Considering what happened he may not have had the desire to be in Europe. I can understand that.

For the NT it's fine. MLS is a good level. Vancouver get a starting level LB who can hold down that side for the next 3-4 years. It's an "okay" move in my book.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I agree it's a bit fanciful, but let's be honest, Robbo didn't have any intention of giving him playing time with the Caps (although rumor has it, he did put in a good word for Sam at BHA):

"'We continue to look for ways for our young players to develop, and this will be a great opportunity for Sam,' said Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson. 'We’ll be tracking his progress closely while he is on loan as he remains an important member of our club.'

With veterans Jordan Harvey and Marcel de Jong ahead of Adekugbe on the depth chart the loan makes sense for both parties. The Whitecaps have a deep squad, and the recent addition of de Jong has pushed Adekugbe one rung further down on the depth chart.

The move allows Adekugbe to continue his development with a competitive club instead of being limited to the Whitecaps’ substitutes bench or playing with the Whitecaps’ USL team."

And one year later on the Goteberg loan:

"Sam's year in England served him well, and he was rewarded with a call-up to the Gold Cup," said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. "This opportunity in Sweden will help him continue to grow as a professional football player while playing in a tough and competitive league. We'll continue to track his development."

And one year later (transfer to Valerenga):

"We are thankful to Sam for his contributions to the club," Robinson said in a separate statement. "This is a good opportunity for Sam and we wish him all the best as he continues his career."

Yes, Sam said that it was a dream of his to play in England (and maybe it was) when the BHA deal was announced, but I doubt very much it was a dream of his to play in Sweden or Norway or even Turkey.  I do admit to taking some poetic license in my narrative, but that said, Robbo had chances to take him back and he never did.

Edited by GasPed

40 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree it's a bit fanciful, but let's be honest, Robbo didn't have any intention of giving him playing time with the Caps (although rumor has it, he did put in a good word for Sam at BHA):

"'We continue to look for ways for our young players to develop, and this will be a great opportunity for Sam,' said Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson. 'We’ll be tracking his progress closely while he is on loan as he remains an important member of our club.'

With veterans Jordan Harvey and Marcel de Jong ahead of Adekugbe on the depth chart the loan makes sense for both parties. The Whitecaps have a deep squad, and the recent addition of de Jong has pushed Adekugbe one rung further down on the depth chart.

The move allows Adekugbe to continue his development with a competitive club instead of being limited to the Whitecaps’ substitutes bench or playing with the Whitecaps’ USL team."

And one year later on the Goteberg loan:

"Sam's year in England served him well, and he was rewarded with a call-up to the Gold Cup," said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. "This opportunity in Sweden will help him continue to grow as a professional football player while playing in a tough and competitive league. We'll continue to track his development."

And one year later (transfer to Valerenga):

"We are thankful to Sam for his contributions to the club," Robinson said in a separate statement. "This is a good opportunity for Sam and we wish him all the best as he continues his career."

Yes, Sam said that it was a dream of his to play in England (and maybe it was) when the BHA deal was announced, but I doubt very much it was a dream of his to play in Sweden or Norway or even Turkey.  I do admit to taking some poetic license in my narrative, but that said, Robbo had chances to take him back and he never did.

Robbo thought enough of Sam to hand him the starting LB spot to start the season. Sam then got injured a few games in, and Harvey reclaimed the spot and didn't let it go. Harvey was playing very well at the time. It was well-known in local football circles that the club wanted Sam back after the Brighton loan, but that Sam resisted due to his overwhelming desire to remain in Europe. Personally, I'm glad that he's finally found his way home, now.

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

In some ways this is a (bitter)sweet homecoming for Sam.  He (kind of like Cornelius) was a bit of an unwanted stepchild at the Caps - loaned out all over the world, and eventually having to make it on his own in Europe.  But finally today, they actually want him to play for them.   Welcome home Sam!

(Speaking of Cornelius, let's #BringDerekHome and get this Whitecaps Canada party started!)

(Speaking of which, can someone remind me what Veselinovic's and Gauld's Canadian eligibility looks like?)

Veselinovic was announced today to have signed a new deal, saw it on their page a few hours ago.

Caps need a creative mid able to help keep possession, only piece missing as they need to manage results better.

9 hours ago, GasPed said:

I doubt very much it was a dream of his to play in Sweden or Norway or even Turkey.

Really?  You think he would've been happier staying in Vancouver all these years?  Highly doubt that.  Sweden, Norway and Turkey are amazing places with great people.  Vacationing there and living it are two entirely different things.  AAAAaaanndd he's a better player and person for having done it.  

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Really?  You think he would've been happier staying in Vancouver all these years?  Highly doubt that.  Sweden, Norway and Turkey are amazing places with great people.  Vacationing there and living it are two entirely different things.  AAAAaaanndd he's a better player and person for having done it.  

People and decent football even aside, you are born in London, lived in England well into early football development, have ties there and say your favourite team is an English team, then your dream is to play there, the best league in the world.

As an adult, you adjust your dreams and learn and live but again yes that was his dream. Not sure why that would be controversial.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Good for Vancouver but disappointing for the National team. We need more guys in Europe and Sam could have moved up leagues and I could have seen Laryea in Championship

For sure, this will take away minutes from Raposo and Ahmed.

17 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

For sure, this will take away minutes from Raposo and Ahmed.

Not Ahmed:  he's in that central mid  grouping competing with Schöpf, Ngando, and Berhalter for a spot beside Cubas.

Raposo is just another guy, so to speak.  However, the one who looks to be losing out is Johnson.

In general, having a strong domestic market for Canadian players helps to ensure that the ones that do travel abroad get a fair chance (playing time and wage). So often it seems our players aren't always given a fair shake

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

In general, having a strong domestic market for Canadian players helps to ensure that the ones that do travel abroad get a fair chance (playing time and wage). So often it seems our players aren't always given a fair shake

If Sam and Richie returned to MLS for financial reasons, that's understandable. They are both 28. But as far as the CMNT, it's a negative. If we are to compete with the USA and Mexico or plan to get out of our group at the WC or even simply get results in 2026 we need our starters and players that get significant mins playing at the highest levels. MLS is getting stronger and based on recent results may have caught up to LigaMX and may surpass it in the near term, but it's still not a top 5 league. Every national coach including JH (and US coaches) want their players in top Euro leagues. One can already see that the US have started pulling away from Canada in terms of quality, even with their starting XI. There are lots of American players that have moved from MLS to Euro leagues and have been given a "fair chance" as have Canadians. It all comes down to the individual situations re club/coach/performance.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Really?  You think he would've been happier staying in Vancouver all these years?  Highly doubt that.  Sweden, Norway and Turkey are amazing places with great people. 

Yeah, not like Vancouver 

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

as far as the CMNT, it's a negative. If we are to compete with the USA and Mexico or plan to get out of our group at the WC or even simply get results in 2026 we need our starters and players that get significant mins playing at the highest levels.

Is that so? I could've sworn a good chunk of both the US and Mexico squads played domestically. 

Just now, Aird25 said:

Is that so? I could've sworn a good chunk of both the US and Mexico squads played domestically. 

Are you referring to the GC or WC squads?  We know Mexico is going through a down period right now and that has reflected in both their national team and LigaMX, but with their population and soccer being their #1 sport they will bounce back

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Are you referring to the GC or WC squads?  We know Mexico is going through a down period right now and that has reflected in both their national team and LigaMX, but with their population and soccer being their #1 sport they will bounce back

Basically every Mexico squad