Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Besiktas (the natural fit), Fenerbahce, Galatasaray are the names I would hope for, but Fatih , Istanbulspor, Kasimpasa and Istanbul Basakheir may have also been possibilites. 

Outside the big 3, Istanbul Basakheir are clearly the strongest. They are currently 3rd and regularly get into Europe. It would be a clear upgrade, just like any of the traditional big 3. I'm gussing everywhere else would be lateral at best. 

I don't watch Turkey now a days, but here are some of the top left backs in this group of teams:

These are the only 3 left backs amongst the teams with a greater TM value than Adekugbe. 

Alternatively, I wonder if he just says whatever and comes to MLS. It's pretty lateral and the season is longer so more games, plus with the situation in flux Hatay may not be ready for fall anyways. Lots of games with Leagues Cup as well. 

I guess if I had to choose, I would say if it's not one of the big 3, come back to MLS. It's only a loan. 

Probably accurate but I just have to laugh at our Arthur being described as "top" anything.

Galatasaray has alot of surprisingly notable names. 
Muaro Icardi (PSG/ Inter Milan)
Juan Mata (Man United/Chelsea)
Dries Mertens (Eindhoven/Napoli)
Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma)
He'd be competing with Kaziman Karatas for the LB spot. A 20 y/o signed from TFF 1. Ligue (Tier 2) Side Altay SK. 

Let’s go. That’s exactly the type of club he should be playing for. Galatasaray look like they’re rubbing away with the league, it’ll be good to give Sam some run for a team at that level.

also, I have it in mind that the league being paused until March is this super long break, but their next league match is March 5th which is in a little under 3 weeks. Unless it’s an error, they’re playing in the Turkish cup on feb 28th too- that would be a good opportunity to let him play.

41 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

also, I have it in mind that the league being paused until March is this super long break, but their next league match is March 5th which is in a little under 3 weeks. Unless it’s an error, they’re playing in the Turkish cup on feb 28th too- that would be a good opportunity to let him play.

After reading this I wondered if there may be any European games on the horizon, since the knockouts started this week. Tranzonspor take on Liam Millar's Basel in the round of 32 Europa Conference, with no indication it will be postponed. 

As it were though, Galatasaray finished a dreadful 13th last season, so they missed out on Europe entirely. Probably explains why they are "rubbing" away with the league, as you put it ;)

No European ball is a small downside, though. I'd trade that for a Super Lig title though, with a shot at CL via the playoff - a nice prize for winning the Turkish Lig. 

1 hour ago, QBCS said:

Galatasaray has alot of surprisingly notable names. 
Muaro Icardi (PSG/ Inter Milan)
Juan Mata (Man United/Chelsea)
Dries Mertens (Eindhoven/Napoli)
Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma)
He'd be competing with Kaziman Karatas for the LB spot. A 20 y/o signed from TFF 1. Ligue (Tier 2) Side Altay SK. 

They've had a flurry of business after having the worst finish in their history last year. Looks like its paying off so far. All said, clear step up for Sam and hope he gets regular time. 

32 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

The question is, is this a move because they've been tracking Sam? Or because Sam is effectively available for the price of his wages, with no risk to them?

I thought the same thing. However, I think alot of our guys just need an opportunity to show what they can do at a higher level. Obviously, not a great way to get the move, but great chance for Sam. 

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

The question is, is this a move because they've been tracking Sam? Or because Sam is effectively available for the price of his wages, with no risk to them?

Or is this a move just to get a quick league title? Think about it and if you’re getting paid the same contract and have your pick of teams for 3 months it’s kind of easy. 

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

No. They're legitimately a big club and if he signed there longer term we'd all be thrilled. It's the type of club we've all been waiting for him to get to. The "quick league title" is just the bonus.

Yes, but it’s not like the league leaders are the only team in for him. He could go to Besiktas but it only makes sense to grab a medal along the way.

17 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Or is this a move just to get a quick league title? Think about it and if you’re getting paid the same contract and have your pick of teams for 3 months it’s kind of easy. 

I don't think that's the case- I think it's similar to Eustaquio's loan/transfer to Porto- when a top team comes calling, you answer. With Adekugbe, I don't think we should necessarily assume that every single big club in Istanbul had a big offer waiting for him, if he did have multiple offers, I think the deciding factor is going to be who can give him the best playing opportunity/lifestyle vs. who can help him win a championship. I think he's aware that clubs of that size can easily replace him over the summer with any number of slightly over the hump top 5 league players, so what he needs is either a club that can keep him in form for when he returns to Hatayspor next year, or a club that can showcase him enough for him to get a transfer, either to the club he's loaned to or elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the Champions league for next season. If Sam sticks at Galatasaray his path isn't quite as easy as I thought. Turkey dropped 7 spots in the association allocation. So the Turkey representative goes from the playoff round right to the first qualifying round. Will have to win 4 qualifying rounds instead of 1 to make the group stage.

7 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Just looked at the Champions league for next season. If Sam sticks at Galatasaray his path isn't quite as easy as I thought. Turkey dropped 7 spots in the association allocation. So the Turkey representative goes from the playoff round right to the first qualifying round. Will have to win 4 qualifying rounds instead of 1 to make the group stage.

I'm trying to figure out if the Champions path would be easier.  Some tough teams possibly later, but making the group stage still seems reasonable.   But also, wild that Turkey is down to just one spot.  I think it's a better league than that, but that's what the coefficient is for - earn your spots.

• 2 weeks later...