Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Given the first game is in Toronto, I don't see how Laryea is not included in the squad.  

Cordova, Adekugbe, Laryea & ZBG are the four outside backs I would call.

Yes, yes,... that YOU, that we all would call! Makes the most sense based on form. 

The coach we know sadly might do something else. I hope I'm surprised! 

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

To be honest I interpreted the tweet the other way. Thought that he posted the highlight thinking he deserves more recognition from CanMNT, but I guess we’ll find out tm!

https://mobile.twitter.com/juancordovat15/status/1166360652392411136

Hashtagged #FelizMartes (Happy Tuesday) #CMNT and #hardworkpaysoff

He's definitely telling us he got called up. Congrats to Juan!

Edited by nolando

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Would it be as baffling if the coach determined that he didn't have the necessary quality?

Yes, considering he's been in his leagues best 11 several times this year, combined with the fact that Godinho was determined to have the necessary quality. I don't think a few training sessions is enough to determine he doesn't have the necessary quality. 

I'd like to think he was going to be given a run out, but Henry's red changed plans. Hopefully we have some friendlies where he can get a run out and is properly assessed because I highly doubt he plays against the US. 

46 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Yes, considering he's been in his leagues best 11 several times this year, combined with the fact that Godinho was determined to have the necessary quality. I don't think a few training sessions is enough to determine he doesn't have the necessary quality. 

I'd like to think he was going to be given a run out, but Henry's red changed plans. Hopefully we have some friendlies where he can get a run out and is properly assessed because I highly doubt he plays against the US. 

So the assumption here is that he still was never given a chance?  He needed to come in to camp and show he deserved that spot, and not gifted a start.

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So the assumption here is that he still was never given a chance?  He needed to come in to camp and show he deserved that spot, and not gifted a start.

In the last few games, we have played the following people in the outside back positions: Laryea, Adekugbe, Godinho, ZBG, Davies, and Kaye.  It seems like a player getting domestic accolades in Chile - who can play on either side - should be getting at least a run out to see how he looks. 

I get what you are saying.  Herdman sees him in camp and makes the call.  But from a supporter’s perspective it is still disappointing that we didn’t get to see him in a game situation.  

I think perhaps Cordova comes on if the game was comfortable. You can't argue with starting Layrea though considering how he played in game 1.

I also think seeing Adekugbe on the left was more important than seeing Corrdova on the left.

Unfortunate, but I hope he gets a chance soon. 

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

My understanding is the red card killed his opportunity. The plan was for him to make it into game 2 all along. Don’t be surprised if he is on the roster in October. JH rates him

Well that's good news. I guess this means JH expects him to be part of the squad but not start vs the US, otherwise you would expect he would have started at least one match against Cuba.

I think it has more to do with a compliment to Laryea performance in game 1 and Herdman trying to establish some continuity in our back line. 

It was a mini camp with 2 games, Herdman rates him but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Cordova will get his chance and shot at some point.

Also I'm not convinced he gets subbed in at all, even without the Henry red. In my humble opinion, I think Larin gets subbed out for Tesho without the red. That seems like the much more logical sub as Larin looked pretty gased in that heat at the ~60 min mark.