Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

42 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just so I know the deal - he can play either full back position, is playing really well in thew Chilean top flight, has repped us (and Chile) at youth level, and got called up to our senior squad for a friendly against Curacao (and is thus still uncapped).

With our very limited options at LB, this seems like a worthy call-up for the GC, no?  MAK and Davies can play there, but both seem to  be stronger in other parts of the pitch. 

wouldn't he have to have filed his one time switch after playing for Chilean youth teams before playing for us against Curacao. Thus making him capped?

Maybe im mistaken. 

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

wouldn't he have to have filed his one time switch after playing for Chilean youth teams before playing for us against Curacao. Thus making him capped?

Maybe im mistaken. 

Ah, that would make sense.  I still think he should be called into the 40 man squad given his position(s) and current performance level.  At his age, we could be grooming him for the LB spot in the 2022 cycle.

23 hours ago, king1010 said:

Maybe im mistaken. 

According to his Wikipedia page he played his U20 Chile games in 2014. U20 World Cup qualifiers were in 2013 and 2015 (just like the World Cups), so I guess that means his games in 2014 would not have been competitive matches, which I think means he wouldn't have had to have filed for a one-time switch to play for Canada.

So I think that means he is still not cap-tied. Others on this board are better at this kind of stuff than me though.

Damn, if he keeps getting starts then surely Herdman can't afford to not call him up. If he has a solid Gold Cup then he could well follow a career trajectory similar to Cavallini's. Also, it wouldn't hurt the CMNT to have a bit more Latin flair :)

Edited by LeoH037

On May 19, 2019 at 8:42 PM, LeoH037 said:

Damn, if he keeps getting starts then surely Herdman can't afford to not call him up. If he has a solid Gold Cup then he could well follow a career trajectory similar to Cavallini's. Also, it wouldn't hurt the CMNT to have a bit more Latin flair :)

Unfortunately for him he was benched for the majority of the first half of the season due to having a player like Jose Bizama at Huachipato who has Chile NT Caps at the same position. In 2018 he played 15 of 30, was hoping he'd step up this year but opportunity has been scarce. The Chilean Primera division is top 5 South American Flight football, I'm afraid it might be too late to impress Herdman to be included in the 23 man roster. Godihno had himself a good season at Hearts and ZBG has looked good with the Impact, in some 500's minutes or so (1st season as pro - On loan from OL II

For sure we will need Cordova to match up vs Central American opposition 

Edited by Blackjack15

7 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Unfortunately for him he was benched for the majority of the first half of the season due to having a player like Jose Bizama at Huachipato who has Chile NT Caps at the same position. In 2018 he played 15 of 30, was hoping he'd step up this year but opportunity has been scarce. The Chilean Primera division is top 5 South American Flight football, I'm afraid it might be too late to impress Herdman to be included in the 23 man roster. Godihno had himself a good season at Hearts and ZBG has looked good with the Impact, in some 500's minutes or so (1st season as pro - On loan from OL II

For sure we will need Cordova to match up vs Central American opposition 

Interesting that Cordova is finally getting games just as Godinho has been sitting.  Question is does Herdman value Godinho's earlier stretch of starts or Cordova's recent play?  I like Cordova's versatility to play left or right or in midfield.  And I agree I like the idea of having more South American influence on the team.

30 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Interesting that Cordova is finally getting games just as Godinho has been sitting.  Question is does Herdman value Godinho's earlier stretch of starts or Cordova's recent play?  I like Cordova's versatility to play left or right or in midfield.  And I agree I like the idea of having more South American influence on the team.

Cordova can play up and down both wings, central mid and DM.  I like the idea of calling him over Godinho due to his playing style, versatility and the fact he doesn’t get injured every other week.

I think he’ll be valuable to us in rotating the squad, which is inevitable.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Strong, quick, technical....the Chilean Canadian is gifted - 

Not sure how Cordova was left off the squad once again.  Hard to believe we took both fullbacks Morgan & Godinho.  Morgan has played 201 minutes out of a possible 1,350 for Toronto and Godinho played 405 minutes out of a possible 1,080 in 2019 including only two games since February.

Meanwhile Cordova can play both sides of defense and even as a winger and is currently becoming a regular for his club.  I'm glad that he's still on Canada's radar and was included in the preliminary squad and hopefully we finally get him in for Nations League this fall.  Also, hoping that it was mutually decided that he should continue to focus on his club instead of joining up for the Gold Cup.

Edited by Corazon

53 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

I was told Cordova was very disappointed not be selected. Couldn’t have been more eager to represent Canada in an official competition. Committed to winning a spot eventually.

The guy wants to play for Canada... make it happen!