Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

On 6/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, hamiltonfan said:

I was told Cordova was very disappointed not be selected. Couldn’t have been more eager to represent Canada in an official competition. Committed to winning a spot eventually.

In hindsight, this decision may or may not have cost us the QF match. All our issues came at the fullback position and we left a guy who can very capably play both spots off the roster. 

I dont know if he is any better than what we took.  But if he walked into the gold cup cold, with no games before hand to gel with the team and got left out to dry like Godinho did..I doubt he would have done much better. 

We should have had real fullbacks worked into the lineup so they were ready for the GC, and we didnt.  Somehow it was cooler to score a bunch of goals against minnows than actually prep for the big tournie.  A real manager would have tried to give the weak FB some cover, once it was clear they were targeting the FB...if he knew anything about coaching.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know if he is any better than what we took.  But if he walked into the gold cup cold, with no games before hand to gel with the team and got left out to dry like Godinho did..I doubt he would have done much better. 

We should have had real fullbacks worked into the lineup so they were ready for the GC, and we didnt.  Somehow it was cooler to score a bunch of goals against minnows than actually prep for the big tournie.  A real manager would have tried to give the weak FB some cover, once it was clear they were targeting the FB...if he knew anything about coaching.  

Thats where it would have been nice to have some friendlies to evaluate out weak positions. Not the csa though. 

If Herdman is to be taken at face value, then our fullbacks are a real concern of his (and they should be). And if that's the case, I would think (hope) he'd be willing to shake things up for nations league.

1. Bring in Cordova. It's time.

Ideally there'd be at least 1 friendly to bring him in and  evaluate beforehand, but given the csa is apparently allergic to scheduling friendlies, I doubt that happens.

Regardless, he needs to roll the dice on Cordova. He can play in both fullback spots as well, so he's a potential solution at rb and lb.

2. Gutierrez. Okay Herdman, it's recruitment time. You have had the GC show you that fullback is a concern. You even said yourself those areas need to be strengthened. Get down to Chile and sell Gutierrez on your project. If he's not ready or interested, fair enough, but I want to see some sort of attempt here.

Not saying Gutierrez and Cordova will solve everything, but if fullback is the problem spot, he must be proactive and bring in some different faces to see what he has.

We can't patiently wait for Godinho to mature, and we can't patiently wait for Davies to develop some defensive instincts. 

LB - Adekugbe

LB - Gutierrez 

LB/RB - Cordova

RB - ZBG

Call Godinho if you want, but let it be in addition to those 4 players.

Edited by Obinna

Simply put. There has to be some type of barometer to make the national team. If your playing and performing you should be there - Cordova has been and should be in the team. If you are not even playing and not a clear number 1 in the position then you shouldn't be called into the team. 

Our manager needs to be experimental, willing to push for more friendlies to rotate the squad. 

Edited by Shway

I believe some were left off the the squad so they could focus on their club careers. The more minutes they earn the better for us in the long run.

I remember Herdman saying that it was all hands on deck for Nations league. Cordova should be recalled there

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I believe some were left off the the squad so they could focus on their club careers. The more minutes they earn the better for us in the long run.

I remember Herdman saying that it was all hands on deck for Nations league. Cordova should be recalled there

At some point the long run for us has to become the present. Hope to see a full strength squad for nations league, including some of those defenders who we wouldve liked to have seen in the gold cup. 

We always don’t call players so they can establish themselves at their club team. No other football nation who wants to succeed does this. It’s a international break for the club to when we have games. What constitutes a big enough game for us to call our best team. For most it would be any competitive game but no not for us, we have to let them “establish” themselves at their club. Which is one of the stupidest things in the world. We could actually try to win games with our best team or we could just leave our best players behind to do what, play with the other players not good enough for their national team. So he trains with his team when he could prove himself by playing matches for Canada. This whole mentality of it being ok for players to not come because they’re at a new club is stupid. If Harry maguire transferred to man city England ain’t gonna not call him so he can establish himself. It’s a joke we do it especially with our best players.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

This makes no sense. Why wouldn't the Gold Cup have more importance than the Nations League? I'm so confused if this is a true statement he made.

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

At some point the long run for us has to become the present. Hope to see a full strength squad for nations league, including some of those defenders who we wouldve liked to have seen in the gold cup. 

Totally agree.

We need to settle our rooster ( especially the back line), the earlier the better. Since Nations League (2019-2020, 2020-2021) would be the only real tests before next Gold Cup in 2021 which could be in the middle of HEX/OCT games.

There shouldn't be any major experiments next year this time. 

After that, just get the chemistry to glue the group.

Edited by lamptern

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

At some point the long run for us has to become the present.

41 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We always don’t call players so they can establish themselves at their club team. No other football nation who wants to succeed does this. It’s a international break for the club to when we have games. What constitutes a big enough game for us to call our best team. For most it would be any competitive game but no not for us, we have to let them “establish” themselves at their club. Which is one of the stupidest things in the world. We could actually try to win games with our best team or we could just leave our best players behind to do what, play with the other players not good enough for their national team. So he trains with his team when he could prove himself by playing matches for Canada. This whole mentality of it being ok for players to not come because they’re at a new club is stupid. If Harry maguire transferred to man city England ain’t gonna not call him so he can establish himself. It’s a joke we do it especially with our best players.

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

This makes no sense. Why wouldn't the Gold Cup have more importance than the Nations League? I'm so confused if this is a true statement he made.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5156319

Herdman said the selection process was tricky, saying he had to deal with injuries (David Edgar and Samuel Adekugbe) while balancing players' needs to be with their clubs during a tournament that takes place outside a FIFA international window.

That would explain the absence of James and Cordova. Solidifying their starter status at club level is important at this point. James just got recalled from D2 to his D1 club. Cordova is seeing more minutes now. 

Edited by Ansem

30 minutes ago, Ansem said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5156319

Herdman said the selection process was tricky, saying he had to deal with injuries (David Edgar and Samuel Adekugbe) while balancing players' needs to be with their clubs during a tournament that takes place outside a FIFA international window.

That would explain the absence of James and Cordova. Solidifying their starter status at club level is important at this point. James just got recalled from D2 to his D1 club. Cordova is seeing more minutes now. 

It’s the off season for James, but I was more thinking even in normal international breaks we don’t bring our best players often so they can establish themselves.

22 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

It’s the off season for James, but I was more thinking even in normal international breaks we don’t bring our best players often so they can establish themselves.

31 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

No logic in leaving Juan off the roster for club reasons. The Chilean league is on a break and Juan has established himself with the club.

No disagreeing but we dont know what was said. Possible the clubs voiced that they didn't want them to leave and risk injury

Possible that the players dont want to lose their spots if something happens.

Possible Herdman took the decision

We dont know, but the article points out to the tournament being out the window. Maybe those club could care less about the Gold Cup and voice their concerns.

• 4 weeks later...