Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get what you are saying.  Herdman sees him in camp and makes the call.  But from a supporter’s perspective it is still disappointing that we didn’t get to see him in a game situation.  

Sure, but when the manager plays a player that does well, it shouldn't be baffling to us that he didn't play a different player just to satisfy some fan curiosity. Plenty of people are saying he rotated too much, but now we are saying he should have rotated in this one more player?

Honestly, I probably would have felt more of this disappointment if it wasn't for Adekugbe. He played in this game and in my opinion didn't look good. I think collectively our hope was that our natural left and right backs would be great, but Herdman seems to have deemed one of them good enough to get a start to see what happens, and the other one not good enough to get that start. The one that he did give the start to, didn't perform well (in my opinion). Perhaps Cordova is even worse?

Personally, I've seen Cordova play once or twice and don't have much memory of his performances. I'm going to try to not get worked up about a player I have seen play less than a handful of times.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Sure, but when the manager plays a player that does well, it shouldn't be baffling to us that he didn't play a different player just to satisfy some fan curiosity. Plenty of people are saying he rotated too much, but now we are saying he should have rotated in this one more player?

Honestly, I probably would have felt more of this disappointment if it wasn't for Adekugbe. He played in this game and in my opinion didn't look good. I think collectively our hope was that our natural left and right backs would be great, but Herdman seems to have deemed one of them good enough to get a start to see what happens, and the other one not good enough to get that start. The one that he did give the start to, didn't perform well (in my opinion). Perhaps Cordova is even worse?

Personally, I've seen Cordova play once or twice and don't have much memory of his performances. I'm going to try to not get worked up about a player I have seen play less than a handful of times.

But he's from Chile!!  😉

Juan Cordova talks about: if playing in South America helps Canada vs Mexico, Central American teams, MLS, CPL, Whitecaps interest, his absence, if we could see Cristian Gutierrez join the CanMNT, Zambrano/Herdman, Copa Libertadores/Copa Sudamericana and more! And a nice message at the end for the Canadian fans 

Edited by Blackjack15

11 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Juan Cordova talks about: if playing in South America helps Canada vs Mexico, Central American teams, MLS, CPL, Whitecaps interest, his absence, if we could see Cristian Gutierrez join the CanMNT, Zambrano/Herdman, Copa Libertadores/Copa Sudamericana and more! And a nice message at the end for the Canadian fans 

I can't listen to this right now - any preview for what he says about Gutierrez ?

13 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Not sure what it is but I'm really pulling for him to be the one that wins the right back position. Compelling personality or something. I'm even a little disappointed he didn't get a look in at left back 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Havent listened to this yet, but judging from the comments this is not recent. It sounds like an interview he gave many, many months ago.

If it is the interview I think it is, I believe it was recorded around the time Cordova was linked to the Whitecaps...

They talk about his recent call up and mention the USA game next month so it's pretty fresh 

• 5 months later...

Reminder that Pasto is at over 2500m. Mexico City is mostly below 2300m.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Copa Sudamericana 

Juan Cordova starts against Deportivo Pasto

Really massive to play a full match at right-back and grind out a win there if you aren't used to it.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Copa_Sudamericana

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 4:19 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This post is related to others I've made about the FIFA eligibility rules that I have made in other threads but I think the reason why Juan Cordova has only played in two friendlies is that he is not technically eligible to play for us:
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=4707&teamId=2079#tab2

The relevant clauses:

Article 5

Any person holding a permanent nationality that is not dependent on
residence in a certain country is eligible to play for the representative
teams of the association of that country.
There is a distinction between holding a nationality and being eligible to
obtain a nationality. A player holds a nationality if, through the operation
of a national law, they have:
a) automatically received a nationality (e.g. from birth) without being
required to undertake any further administrative requirements (e.g.
abandoning a separate nationality); or
b) acquired a nationality by undertaking a naturalisation process.
With the exception of the conditions specified in article 9 below, any
player who has already participated in a match (either in full or in part)
in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one
association may not play an international match for a representative team
of another association

Article 6

A player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more
than one association on account of his nationality, may play in an
international match for one of these associations only if, in addition to
holding the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following
conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association for at least five
years.

So Juan Cordova can be registered to play for us on any given match day because he has a Canadian passport but I believe that the opposing nation could file a Protest against the CSA.
"Protests regarding the eligibility of players shall be decided by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee in accordance with the FIFA Disciplinary Code"
This is not particularly important for a nation to do in a friendly match; only a few ranking points are on the line. Curaçao would have had to have been really pissed off, and even know about Juan Cordova's background and be very motivated to do it.
El Salvador would not have bothered given that we lost that match.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This post is related to others I've made about the FIFA eligibility rules that I have made in other threads but I think the reason why Juan Cordova has only played in two friendlies is that he is not technically eligible to play for us:
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=4707&teamId=2079#tab2

The relevant clauses:

Article 5

Any person holding a permanent nationality that is not dependent on
residence in a certain country is eligible to play for the representative
teams of the association of that country.
There is a distinction between holding a nationality and being eligible to
obtain a nationality. A player holds a nationality if, through the operation
of a national law, they have:
a) automatically received a nationality (e.g. from birth) without being
required to undertake any further administrative requirements (e.g.
abandoning a separate nationality); or
b) acquired a nationality by undertaking a naturalisation process.
With the exception of the conditions specified in article 9 below, any
player who has already participated in a match (either in full or in part)
in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one
association may not play an international match for a representative team
of another association

Article 6

A player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more
than one association on account of his nationality, may play in an
international match for one of these associations only if, in addition to
holding the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following
conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association for at least five
years.

So Juan Cordova can be registered to play for us on any given match day because he has a Canadian passport but I believe that the opposing nation could file a Protest against the CSA.
"Protests regarding the eligibility of players shall be decided by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee in accordance with the FIFA Disciplinary Code"
This is not particularly important for a nation to do in a friendly match; only a few ranking points are on the line. Curaçao would have had to have been really pissed off, and even know about Juan Cordova's background and be very motivated to do it.
El Salvador would not have bothered given that we lost that match.

All this would have been known to the CSA before they brought him into the program. I doubt the CSA would have made such a significant investment in involving Juan if they hadn't received a FIFA exemption for him.  He was in the squad for the 2019 USA Nations League matches. Are the CSA that dense as to bring in an ineligible player into a camp for a game that was, at the time, essentially a WCQ? 

Conversely, it would explain his absences, especially form the 2019 Gold Cup when our RB options were paper thin.