Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

I liked Cordova when he joined up with us. Good technically with skill. Not much pace or physicality though. That was years ago and I haven't watched him since, aside from highlights here and there. Has much changed in his game? If not I am not sure how helpful he'd be to us. The World Cup was an eye opener as to the level of players we need. Cordova (probably) would be a good squad player for the pool (in concacaf), but he's also 27 years old and will be 30 when we host. Is that a player we want to invest in even as a squad player?

If he earns a spot on merit then great! The deeper our pool is, the better. I just have trouble seeing it now.

It's almost a different era now compared to when he made his debut (2016)?

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I liked Cordova when he joined up with us. Good technically with skill. Not much pace or physicality though. That was years ago and I haven't watched him since, aside from highlights here and there. Has much changed in his game? If not I am not sure how helpful he'd be to us. The World Cup was an eye opener as to the level of players we need. Cordova (probably) would be a good squad player for the pool (in concacaf), but he's also 27 years old and will be 30 when we host. Is that a player we want to invest in even as a squad player?

If he earns a spot on merit then great! The deeper our pool is, the better. I just have trouble seeing it now.

It's almost a different era now compared to when he made his debut (2016)?

He's improved from what I've seen but the main issue for him and what his level really is, is that Chilean league has declined massively in quality over the last 5-7 years.

Nublense did just finish runner up to Colo Colo and will be playing Copa Libertadores next season.  If Cordova can become a regular for Nublense and play Copa Libertadores, he would be in contention with some other MLS players for our distant player pool.  Similarly, to Scotland, I think we're getting to the point where unless our players play for Rangers or Celtic, they likely won't be regulars for our National Program.  This is similar to Chile with Colo Colo & Catolica.  But look at Christian Gutierrez who played for Colo Colo and is currently a fringe player right now.  Although he never became a regular in Colo Colo at his time there.

The bigger issue which people have noted here is whether or not he is actually eligible for Canada.  Either way, I will be paying attention to Nublense in Libertadores next season.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...