Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

They could legitimately have a back line that could start for the national team.

Another big move by Vancouver!

I still think James is the best CB for Canada. But in the future outside of ZBG the back four could be 3/4 whitecaps. 

I would say the caps currently have 2 of Canada’s best 3-4 LBs in Dejong (1 currently) and Levis (3 or 4). 

Also 2 of Canada’s best 4 CBS in Henry (2) and Cornelius (3). Personally, i think Henry and Cornelius are our top 2 at the moment. But as we all know the CB race is quite close with Edgar and James up there too.

And with Cordova possibly coming they would have a top 3 RB too. Probably third choice right now behind ZBG and Godinho. However, if Cordova wins the starting spot in Vancouver He might get into that top spot.

Am i the only one that thinks that all-Canadian backline is going to have a tough time? Doneil Henry has typically benefited from being paired with a veteran CB, now he's the veteran presence paired with a guy who turns 22 this year. As a pair they should be physically dominant, but mistake prone. The worst part is any mistakes could end up in the back of the net because neither MacMath or Crepeau are proven quality MLS keepers.

57 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Am i the only one that thinks that all-Canadian backline is going to have a tough time? Doneil Henry has typically benefited from being paired with a veteran CB, now he's the veteran presence paired with a guy who turns 22 this year. As a pair they should be physically dominant, but mistake prone. The worst part is any mistakes could end up in the back of the net because neither MacMath or Crepeau are proven quality MLS keepers.

Not to be too mercenary, but I would rather the group leak goals for the Caps while they get their chemistry worked out than during Nat games.  For the Nats, this has to be a good development - just not sure how it will play out for the Caps.  But I am a fan of the move and applaud their initiative to bring in so much CanCon.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Honesty, Cornelius has really looked like a Vetran player whenever i have seen him play. He was an obvious standout at the Toulon Tourney. Great organizer and all round defender. It definately could turn out horrible for the Caps, because there is always that chance when you go local and young, but i think MDS hit the jackpot with this lineup. 

Of course, i do expect MDS to bring in an experienced CB as well. It’s unlikely we see a fully Canadian back line to start the year. I think Cornelius is going to have to play his way into a starting spot.

16 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Better to leak goals with a defence that's young and domestic, who are learning and growing together, than with an ill-disciplined 30-year-old import who's on a big pay packet.

And, let's remember, the 'Caps just missed the playoffs last year despite conceding 2 goals per game. I think it's too early to be overly pessimistic at this point.

This is great move for Cordova as the Caps have a lot of positions that need filling.  The loan agreement is good testing ground for both caps and Cordova.  Plus it will be nice to be able to see what this kid can do in the MLS.  

Re MDS signing Canadians - my perspective is that they are trying get domestics at low cost to fill slots.  These players may be underrated and it is a great opportunity for them, but I don't see them walking onto the team.  MDS has been good to Canadians - but he has also been smart to slot in bigger talents or more experienced players as well.  MDS is basically having to rebuild the entire squad - recent signings provide depth but I suspect bigger signings are coming.  I would not be surprises if a more experienced defensive re-enforcement arrives in the next month or during the summer transfer window.

22 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Honesty, Cornelius has really looked like a Vetran player whenever i have seen him play. He was an obvious standout at the Toulon Tourney. Great organizer and all round defender. It definately could turn out horrible for the Caps, because there is always that chance when you go local and young, but i think MDS hit the jackpot with this lineup. 

Of course, i do expect MDS to bring in an experienced CB as well. It’s unlikely we see a fully Canadian back line to start the year. I think Cornelius is going to have to play his way into a starting spot.

yeah, from what I've read, MDS is indeed looking for an experienced CB. Having said that, Cornelius is a very mature young player. I expect him to grow significantly under MDS's guidance.

2 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Re MDS signing Canadians - my perspective is that they are trying get domestics at low cost to fill slots.  These players may be underrated and it is a great opportunity for them, but I don't see them walking onto the team.  MDS has been good to Canadians - but he has also been smart to slot in bigger talents or more experienced players as well.  

I agree, but still better to pick Canadians for those spots than US journeymen. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I would say the caps currently have 2 of Canada’s best 3-4 LBs in Dejong (1 currently) and Levis (3 or 4). 

Also 2 of Canada’s best 4 CBS in Henry (2) and Cornelius (3). Personally, i think Henry and Cornelius are our top 2 at the moment. But as we all know the CB race is quite close with Edgar and James up there too.

And with Cordova possibly coming they would have a top 3 RB too. Probably third choice right now behind ZBG and Godinho. However, if Cordova wins the starting spot in Vancouver He might get into that top spot.

Personally still rate Vitoria and Jakovic at least as good, and probably better than Edgar, but all three are getting on. CB in general though is looking a lot better than it did a couple of years ago. Now we just need two or three of those guys to step up and stamp their name on the game sheet for club and country.

19 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Just listened. Nothing new. Says he would love to play in MLS and with Vancouver but it's just rumours at this point. He admits one of the reasons he choose CMNT despite repping Chile as a youth is because he may never have made it to the Chilean NT but also because Canada has been good to his family. He has been in Contact with Herdman but has no idea if he will be called up for the Match in March.