Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Last night I saw that Cordova came off the bench and saw the last few minutes of Huachipato's match vs CD Antofagasta in the first stage of the 2021 Copa Sudamerica.  Huachipato won 4-0 over both legs and moves on to the Group Stage of the Copa Sudamerica.

He also played the full 90 minutes at RB in the 2nd game of the season this past Saturday which resulted in a 1-1 tie against Club Universidad de Chile.

Edited by Corazon

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Charlesmazzz said:

Played 90 minutes in Huachipato's 1-0 victory over San Lorenzo of Argentina in Copa  Sudamericana action today. 

That's a big result. 

Can someone tell me if he's actually eligible to play for us? There were rumors a while back that perhaps he isn't and he hasn't been called for a while. On the other hand, I read something about Herdman opting not to call him because he refused a prior camp or something? That was also a while ago and considering all the players we have looked at since it seems odd that Cordova wouldn't have gotten another look by now. He seems like a good character who was always very keen to rep the maple leaf, so I really wonder what's going on. I know we have some good fullback options but a guy beating San Lorenzo in copa sudemerica is definitely "bring him in for a look" territory, isn't it?

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's a big result. 

Can someone tell me if he's actually eligible to play for us? There were rumors a while back that perhaps he isn't and he hasn't been called for a while. On the other hand, I read something about Herdman opting not to call him because he refused a prior camp or something? That was also a while ago and considering all the players we have looked at since it seems odd that Cordova wouldn't have gotten another look by now. He seems like a good character who was always very keen to rep the maple leaf, so I really wonder what's going on. I know we have some good fullback options but a guy beating San Lorenzo in copa sudemerica is definitely "bring him in for a look" territory, isn't it?

A quick search yields that Cordova was named to the roster for Cuba home and away and for the US at home at the end of 2019.

How many looks does this guy get when he's competing now with Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Johnston etc.?

Congratulations on a good game but we can't keep changing up the lineup after certain players have decent games now and then.

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

A quick search yields that Cordova was named to the roster for Cuba home and away and for the US at home at the end of 2019.

How many looks does this guy get when he's competing now with Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Johnston etc.?

Congratulations on a good game but we can't keep changing up the lineup after certain players have decent games now and then.

I agree, but I also think Juan has been putting in good performances on a semi consistent basis. He’s one of those “under the radar” players. With the WCQ/Gold Cup schedule conflicting, you will more then likely see him named to one or the other. I personally want to still see a semi strong GC roster. Maybe send Richie/Juan to the WCQ and ZBG/Johnston to the GC?

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I agree. With the WCQ/Gold Cup schedule conflicting, you will more then likely see him named to one or the other. I personally want to still see a semi strong GC roster. Maybe send Richie/Juan to the WCQ and ZBG/Johnston to the GC?

No way Johnston is not going to be called for WCQ, imo. Maybe he gets a call to the GC in addition to WCQ though...

Otherwise it's probably ZBG & Cordova (or Godinho) for GC.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

No way Johnston is not going to be called for WCQ, imo. Maybe he gets a call to the GC in addition to WCQ though...

Could definitely see this as well. My thought process was just that Juan is more then competent enough to start vs Aruba and sub for Richie if needed vs Suriname, while having both ZBG/Johnston at the GC (while I’m not ruling out we could see them at both) makes our GC roster much stronger. Like I said though, I would not be surprised either way

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

That's a big result. 

A win against San Lorenzo is a very big result.  One of the top 5 teams in Argentina historically.

I hope to see Cordova back with Canada in some sort in the busy upcoming schedule for our team.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I keep saying this....but one thing to keep in mind, is that MLS does not break for the Gold Cup. However the league does break for the June WCQ matches. 

A lot of our "secondary" guys are key players for their teams. ZBG, and Johnston both are key players for their squad. Add them to list that has Cavallini, Crepeau, Kaye, Piette, Miller, Osorio, Laryea, Buchanan and St. Clair. Not to mention the emerging key pieces in Shaffelburg, Baldisimo, Guttierez, Priso, Okello, Fraser, Pasher and Waterman. 

I think we'll see a lot of the names listed above mixed in with our best squad for WCQ. My main concern is who will be available for/prioritize the Gold Cup over their club games. The Gold Cup starts July 10, let's assume guys are in camp a week before - theres a potential to miss 5 games for the MLS guys. That's a lot of games to miss for the team that "pays" you.

I won't be shocked to see a B-/C+ squad. Just because we are one of the only teams in the Gold Cup that have this problem. Reason why I think we will see guys like Cordova, and Godinho in the Gold Cup squad over the likes ZBG/Johnston. 

Time will tell...I just can't see teams getting their squads depleted (Caps, Montreal, and Toronto specifically)

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

As many as it takes. Look at the number of players called into the US camps over the last year. Vast majority of those will not make the 23 for WCQ but they are getting a close look in order to assess whether one or more could displace any of the current 23. If we want competition for all the positions on the field we need to be calling in any players that show the potential to work their way into the lineup. The players on the bench need to be pushing the starting 11 and the players in positions 24-40+ need to be pushing the bench. Ideally we should be using a number of friendlies to assess our depth but since the schedules have lined up as they have we can use the Gold Cup to take a look at some of the fringe. I think players such as Cordova or Patton should be in the mix along with some youngsters and a few veterans such as Tesho. A couple of months ago I would have included Wotherspoon on that list but he had a chance last month, he took the opportunity and could very well be on the WCQ roster. Cordova could be another but we won’t know until we see him play and if he’s not good enough this time call him again in a couple of years when he’ll still be 4 years younger than Wotherspoon is now.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

As many as it takes. Look at the number of players called into the US camps over the last year. Vast majority of those will not make the 23 for WCQ but they are getting a close look in order to assess whether one or more could displace any of the current 23. If we want competition for all the positions on the field we need to be calling in any players that show the potential to work their way into the lineup. The players on the bench need to be pushing the starting 11 and the players in positions 24-40+ need to be pushing the bench. Ideally we should be using a number of friendlies to assess our depth but since the schedules have lined up as they have we can use the Gold Cup to take a look at some of the fringe. I think players such as Cordova or Patton should be in the mix along with some youngsters and a few veterans such as Tesho. A couple of months ago I would have included Wotherspoon on that list but he had a chance last month, he took the opportunity and could very well be on the WCQ roster. Cordova could be another but we won’t know until we see him play and if he’s not good enough this time call him again in a couple of years when he’ll still be 4 years younger than Wotherspoon is now.

Cordova and Paton are completely different:

1) Cordova has had more than one opportunity to show what he can do including playing time against El Salvador and Curacao in addition to the two camps I mentioned above. Paton has not been involved in anything of any kind.
2) Cordova is a '95, Paton is a '98.  Paton is still growing into the player he'll become.
3) Cordova plays a position where he would be lucky to be in the top 5 on the depth chart after: Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Johnston, Buchanon, Godinho, Twardek etc.  This means that he's definitely not in your 24-40 positions.  Anything outside of that should generally be reserved for the young up and comers.

Further to all that, Cordova is not a regular starter.  Lets see him put in the same type of shift night after night like our other RBs are doing.

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

1) Cordova has had more than one opportunity to show what he can do including playing time against El Salvador and Curacao in addition to the two camps I mentioned above. Paton has not been involved in anything of any kind.
2) Cordova is a '95, Paton is a '98.  Paton is still growing into the player he'll become.
3) Cordova plays a position where he would be lucky to be in the top 5 on the depth chart after: Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Johnston, Buchanon, Godinho, Twardek etc.  This means that he's definitely not in your 24-40 positions.  Anything outside of that should generally be reserved for the young up and comers.

Further to all that, Cordova is not a regular starter.  Lets see him put in the same type of shift night after night like our other RBs are doing.

To be fair to Cordova, he played for us in 2017 so I wouldn’t hold it against him that he didn’t grab hold of the job. I’m sure he’s improved a lot since then. Not that I think he should be starting or anything but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that he could be ahead of any of those you listed aside from Laryea. And even if he’s not, it just takes a couple injuries to quickly move him up the depth chart.

33 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

While I get where you’re coming from, I’m confused as to where you get the fact that he’s “not a regular starter” from? Based off Transfermarkt, he has started more games then not since he got his first call from us in 2017. 39/67 games he has started and the majority of the ones he didn’t start, he got subbed on. I am not including his cup game starts/appearances, just league ones. As far as I’m concerned he’s been a semi consistent player in a decent league for a while now

45 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Have you actually seen Cordova play? I haven't and until I do I have no idea where to rank him among the players you've listed. He may be #6 or he may be #2 and he's also an option on the left where we have less depth. The fact that he failed to win the confidence of the coach when he was 22-23 doesn't mean he's not good enough now. If Paton is called up and fails to impress are you going to write him off forever? Wotherspoon did not look impressive when he previously played for Canada but at the age of 31 he showed that he can be a valuable asset. Cordova is too young to be written off and we don't have the depth to ignore him.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

To be fair to Cordova, he played for us in 2017 so I wouldn’t hold it against him that he didn’t grab hold of the job. I’m sure he’s improved a lot since then. Not that I think he should be starting or anything but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that he could be ahead of any of those you listed aside from Laryea. And even if he’s not, it just takes a couple injuries to quickly move him up the depth chart.

He was also included in the Cuba and US camps in late 2019 and didn't make it on the field. 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

While I get where you’re coming from, I’m confused as to where you get the fact that he’s “not a regular starter” from? Based off Transfermarkt, he has started more games then not since he got his first call from us in 2017. 39/67 games he has started and the majority of the ones he didn’t start, he got subbed on. I am not including his cup game starts/appearances, just league ones. As far as I’m concerned he’s been a semi consistent player in a decent league for a while now

Its based on the games that Huachipato have played in the last two months.  He's been on the bench more than he's started.

37 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Have you actually seen Cordova play? I haven't and until I do I have no idea where to rank him among the players you've listed. He may be #6 or he may be #2 and he's also an option on the left where we have less depth. The fact that he failed to win the confidence of the coach when he was 22-23 doesn't mean he's not good enough now. If Paton is called up and fails to impress are you going to write him off forever? Wotherspoon did not look impressive when he previously played for Canada but at the age of 31 he showed that he can be a valuable asset. Cordova is too young to be written off and we don't have the depth to ignore him.

He's turning 26 in two months.  People around here were writing off 20 and 21 year olds.

Personally, he seems to have cachet because he plays in a foreign league and had one notable game.  Just like I've said with others, lets see him repeat the performance on a regular basis.  There are much more deserving players "worth a look" and they play in our backyard and have potentially more upside.