Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

https://www.marca.com/claro-mx/futbol/seleccion-mx/2021/11/19/61973a8eca4741df178b45c3.html

Ruben Flores interview with Mexican press, some interesting comments (using google translate).

"Canada and England send him invitations all the time, but there has not been any serious approach. I think that for an 18-year-old boy it is very unfair to make him make a decision at such an early age without knowing how to experience more, it is like getting married at that age, "

"Canada does not take away the finger of the line, I get along very well with the coach. "

"At the end of the day, the one who is going to decide, if you are going to decide you have to feel the colors, so when you have that decision you have to be 100 percent committed."

1 minute ago, Tyler55 said:

https://www.marca.com/claro-mx/futbol/seleccion-mx/2021/11/19/61973a8eca4741df178b45c3.html

Ruben Flores interview with Mexican press, some interesting comments (using google translate).

"Canada and England send him invitations all the time, but there has not been any serious approach. I think that for an 18-year-old boy it is very unfair to make him make a decision at such an early age without knowing how to experience more, it is like getting married at that age, "

"Canada does not take away the finger of the line, I get along very well with the coach. "

"At the end of the day, the one who is going to decide, if you are going to decide you have to feel the colors, so when you have that decision you have to be 100 percent committed."

Solid quote, great interview, almost seems like he is asking the media to back off a bit and let his son make the decision, including seed planting that he may go to a Canadian camp at some point. 

Seems very clear to me his dad only wants what is best for his son, and will let his son decide who he feels more connected with (at least that's what I got from that interview).  

Awesome Dad quote about marriage... if I married the girl I had feelings for at 18 - 100% DIVORCE.

6 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Solid quote, great interview, almost seems like he is asking the media to back off a bit and let his son make the decision, including seed planting that he may go to a Canadian camp at some point. 

Seems very clear to me his dad only wants what is best for his son, and will let his son decide who he feels more connected with (at least that's what I got from that interview). 

If that's true, he should maybe have a talk with his brother.  That burger/taco video on twitter was gross.  If my brother did that with one of my kids and then posted it, I'd have to pound on him just a little bit.

I got a lot of respect for Ruben and I always trusted his guidance for Marcelo.  Some of his posts recently might be for damage control but this quote is exactly the type of guidance that parents should be giving their children.  My mind is still blown that Sali's parents pushed for him to make a choice at 15 years of age.

By the way, I did some training under Ruben Flores in the mid 2000's.  Marcelo was probably just 3 years old but always on the sidelines playing with a ball.  So technically I saw him train before anyone here 🤪.  I just wish that I had stepped aside from training for a few minutes to start the recruitment of 3 year old Marcelo to our Canada program.

https://www.thearsenalreview.com/article/marcelo-flores-is-making-himself-difficult-to-ignore

"Starting with Flores’ international career, he’s at the centre of a battle primarily between Mexico and Canada, but also England. He’s eligible to represent all three, and he hasn’t officially ruled out any option just yet.

..That opened the door to Canada, who invited him to a Men’s National Team camp and included him on the preliminary list for the Gold Cup over the summer.

..On social media, there’s a bit of a campaign going on in the replies to the Mexican National Team Twitter account, with fans demanding Flores be called up to the first team. They’re desperate not to lose him to Canada."

Edited by saintjoes

59 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I got a lot of respect for Ruben and I always trusted his guidance for Marcelo.  Some of his posts recently might be for damage control but this quote is exactly the type of guidance that parents should be giving their children.  My mind is still blown that Sali's parents pushed for him to make a choice at 15 years of age.

By the way, I did some training under Ruben Flores in the mid 2000's.  Marcelo was probably just 3 years old but always on the sidelines playing with a ball.  So technically I saw him train before anyone here 🤪.  I just wish that I had stepped aside from training for a few minutes to start the recruitment of 3 year old Marcelo to our Canada program.

With this horrific confession we now know who to blame if Marcelo admits he loves listening to mariachi music instead of rock.

23 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Fwiw neither of his sisters made the Mexico roster for their friendlies against Canada.

That’s why I don’t take seriously the Mexican fans who point to his sisters “choosing” Mexico over Canada as evidence that Marcelo will do the same. 

It’s clear his sisters are nowhere near good enough to play for Canada, making Mexico their only option.

That’s not a slight against the Flores sisters — they’re still playing at an incredibly high level and should be proud — but they didn’t really have a choice, you know? Marcelo does. 

1 hour ago, RS said:

That’s why I don’t take seriously the Mexican fans who point to his sisters “choosing” Mexico over Canada as evidence that Marcelo will do the same. 

It’s clear his sisters are nowhere near good enough to play for Canada, making Mexico their only option.

That’s not a slight against the Flores sisters — they’re still playing at an incredibly high level and should be proud — but they didn’t really have a choice, you know? Marcelo does. 

I've seen a couple tweets now discussing this by major Mexican outlets (over 1 million followers). This could be a major turn off for the family including the father who probably wants to tell media to f off. Here's one: 

2 hours ago, RS said:

Aren't his sisters like 19 & 16?

Those 6 points in Edmonton not only sent us to the top of the table and improved our FIFA ranking, we are a more and more attractive option for Flores and others and with the January camp up next I think we will get an idea if he wants to get onboard!

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Aren't his sisters like 19 & 16?

Yes. Regardless, the Canadian program is a traditionally higher level than that of Mexico (even though Mexico is closing the gap on Canada and the U.S., it’s still a step up).

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores