Cyle Larin

shermanator

9 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

IMO i don't think he's ready for European Football! He has the quality and talent but still has lots to prove. Would much rather see him play in the MLS until he's 25 then go as a more experienced player

Disagree. His demand would sink.

He is already 22 so wouldn't get more valuable by continuing to score at the MLS level for another 2 or 3 years.

His value is in his potential.

He needs to go to Europe in the next 12 months.

If he goes and fails he can always come back to MLS. But if he waits until he's in his prime before he starts his European career he's going to be playing catch up.

Edited by Obinna

Obinna's logic is dead on.  At 22 they might ignore holes in his game or flaws in technique.  At 25 if he is still a good MLS striker (12-15 goals a season etc) he wont attract the same interest, he'll be more or less the finished product.  They (european clubs) want to get him into their program now (age 22) and polish him into a diamond.  But I guess it depends on him, look at Dero, stayed in North america, had a excellent run for club and country, MLS legend.  Everybody doesnt have to run to europe, especially with MLS getting better and better.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Obinna's logic is dead on.  At 22 they might ignore holes in his game or flaws in technique.  At 25 if he is still a good MLS striker (12-15 goals a season etc) he wont attract the same interest, he'll be more or less the finished product.  They (european clubs) want to get him into their program now (age 22) and polish him into a diamond.  But I guess it depends on him, look at Dero, stayed in North america, had a excellent run for club and country, MLS legend.  Everybody doesnt have to run to europe, especially with MLS getting better and better.  

I'd argue that many of the flaws in De Ro's game (selfish play, defensive limitations) would have been trained out of him in a better footballing environment (Europe) and combined with his individual brilliance he would have been a more successful and productive player for club and country. In a bigger pond than MLS, though, he may never have risen to the status of legend.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'd argue that many of the flaws in De Ro's game (selfish play, defensive limitations) would have been trained out of him in a better footballing environment (Europe) and combined with his individual brilliance he would have been a more successful and productive player for club and country. In a bigger pond than MLS, though, he may never have risen to the status of legend.

Exactly. Larin should go to a higher level of play as soon as possible to avoid turning into another DeRo, ie. a top MLS player with a lot of flaws that hinder his performance at a higher level such as in international matches.

Good points all.  But Dero didnt even make it to MLS until he was 22 or 23, Larins looking to grow past it at 22.  And I guess he could have been better with canada (cough all time leading scorer cough cough).  And as for selfish and defensive limitations, how many attacking players could be saddled with those negatives.  I was just saying there are more than one way to skin a cat.  Dero did pretty well as far as I am concerned and got to play in Canada alot, grow the game here and give back to Canada.  

Millwall defeat shows why Leeds United need MLS star Cyle Larin

http://amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/09/19/millwall-defeat-shows-why-leeds-united-need-mls-star-cyle-larin/

Cyle Larin, however, very much is. The Sun (10thSeptember, page 58) reported that Leeds are considering paying £2 million for the Orlando City striker, one of the most exciting young talents in the MLS.

English Championship or Turkey?

Leeds United are currently 1st in the Championship. Larin could help them promote to English Premier League. Hoping Cardiff City promotes as well so Hoilett gets back to Premier League as well

Edited by Ansem

4 hours ago, TooMuchSauce519 said:

How did Doneil get his move? Last I heard Canadians along with Australians are allowed to stay in the UK for 2 years and legally work for 12 months on a special VISA. Maybe this helps him secure a move? 

Pretty sure he got a Cypriot passport (somehow) so he could get a permit.

The problem with Larin is the hype.  He came into the CMNT labeled as the best player Canada had produced in the MLS era, certainly the best forward.  He was to be a difference maker immediately.  He has not fulfilled the hype.  For us thus far he has been a forward like any other.  

Larin is proving that club form doesn't mean shit if you can't score for Canada, just like Radzinski, Peschisolido, Rob Friend the list is a long one.

OZ will keep rotating everyone for a while and we will see what happens. But thus far the best Canada has looked under OZ has been at the Gold Cup with Cavallini up top.  

Hasn't fulfilled the Hype ?!?! are you guys serious. It's like he has to be scoring on a messi level to make you people happy! 

Just basic stats/facts

Age - 22

Orlando city - Apps ( 86 ) Goals ( 43 )

There are roughly 30 Canadian players in the MLS this season - Larin has the most goals out of all of them this season with 12.

Out of 30 Canadian Players in MLS how many have been reported being scouted by huge clubs in Europe- 3 - Larin is one of them

Canada Sr. - Apps ( 23 ) Goals ( 5) 

Note * 

Who was Canada's Manager  during  of majority game-  defensive Ass Clown Floro

Canada - one striker

Orlando City - 2 strikers and Kaka

Canadian players have never been an  offensive juggernaut, Dwayne De Rosario App - 81 Goals - 22. There're a lot of reasons for this, my personal belief it's  because of the style we have played. Holger Osieck defensive manger , Floro defensive manger and the  rotation of amateur mangers in between. 

Larin vs  El Salvador in the WQC game at Vancouver, he gets a goal and could have 2-3 more and they finally moved into a 4-4-2.  El Salvador couldn't contain him and he didn't even play the full game!

Now, European clubs are scouting Larin why cuz he's a really good YOUNG player. He has only played 3 games with Oz and his system,  which is totally different than what Canada has played in the past and what he plays in Orlando. Cyle is going to score simple has that and he's going to get better. 

I would like to remind all the Larin haters and the ones that are saying Cavallini should be starting, I love Cavallini and I want both of them to play together. Cavallini has played  only 7 games for Canada and has 0 goals. Larin Scored his first goal in his 5th game for Canada  against Puerto Rico. 

Edited by SpecialK

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The question mark over Larin moving forward, is if he is going to be as effective when Kaka isn't around. It's easier to look good and score goals when you have a player like that doing the more difficult part for you.

You make a great point. The only thing Kaka has only played 15 games this season and I could be wrong but mostly off the bench. Also Kaka is good but MLS Kaka is not Milan Kaka and when Larin goes to Europe we'll have  attacking midfielders who are equal to MLS Kaka. Also hopefully better managers and Tactics. His game should grow in Europe. 

I think everyone agrees that Larin has skills and hopes a move to Europe will kickstart the next stage of his development.  

But most people have also been frustrated watching a guy lauded for his goal scoring abilities miss some crucial sitters in some crucial games for the Nats.  I know you can't fault the numbers he pus up, especially in MLS, but I (and I suspect lots of others) see some frustrating things in his gameplay for us that aren't reflected in the basic stats.  Things like playing a key role in build up play (where Cav seems to have the edge), in pure hunger (where Cav seems tireless and AJH is rapidly establishing a great reputation), etc.  

None of that refutes the fact that his production for the Nats has been solid, even if it doesn't match our collectively high expectations. But it does explain where the fairly persistent scepticism is coming from.  And while some of it can be pinned on the system, I am not sure all of it can be.  Parking his MLS numbers which don't have a lot of relevancy here, there is something about his play for us that never seems like it is hitting top gear.  And he is a guy with a clearly high cieling, playing in an area where we have had such an obvious and sustained need, so I think the V collective will continue to demand more of him.  And personally, I don't think we are wrong to do so, stats be damned.

Wow, another didn't-take-his-ritalin post by Special K. Buddy, people are talking about his inability to perform for the MNT at the same hyped-up level as his non-MNT performances. Take all your MLS stats and scouted-by-Euro club points and throw them out the window. 4 goals (plus an ass goal) in 23 games is not a good strike rate for a future Besiktas forward.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Wow, another didn't-take-his-ritalin post by Special K. Buddy, people are talking about his inability to perform for the MNT at the same hyped-up level as his non-MNT performances. Take all your MLS stats and scouted-by-Euro club points and throw them out the window. 4 goals (plus an ass goal) in 23 games is not a good strike rate for a future Besiktas forward.

No supporters bashing him due to lack of goals on national team without looking at the whole picture is bullshit. Now everyone is praising Cavallini and going after Larin is crazy. Cavallini is a good player and I'm so happy he's playing. But Cavallini hasn't scored a single goal and he has only  played 7 games for Canada has a Sr. member because he left the program and just because he had a good gold cup he's the number one striker? He didn't even score a single goal ! 

Rob Friend - Apps 32 Goals 2

Alex Bunbury - Apps 66 Goals 16

Tomasz Radzinski - App 46 - Goals 10

Paul Peschisolido - App - 53 - Goals 10

Tosaint Ricketts - App - 57 - Goals 15

Simeon Jackson - App - 49 - Goals 6

Marcus Haber - App - 27 - Goals 3 

Carlo Corazzin - App 59 - Goals 11

Dwayne De Rosario - App 81 - goals 22

Ali Gerba - App 31 - goals 15

Olivier Occéan - App 28  - Goals 6

Iain Hume - App 43 - Goals 6

Out of all these strikers , only one has a decent rate of scoring for Canada, are they or were bad for their Club team ? Because I'm pretty sure mostly all them score a lot for their clubs and played in pretty high leagues in Europe.

Larin is only 22 years old and has score 5 goals in 23 game and played  majority of the time  on a Team that played for 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws. Just like mostly all of those players on that list. 

Oz has come in and has changed that  defence of style that Canada has been playing basically since the late 90s. Larin has only played 3 games and has not played a Full 90 Under Oz. Also everyone is forgetting Canada now has more weapons then just one or two players; Davies, Hoilett, Arfield, Osorio, Edwards , Jackson - Hamel and Big CBs who come on corners like James and Edgar ( when healthy). 

Edited by SpecialK

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

No supporters bashing him due to lack of goals on national team without looking at the whole picture is bullshit. Now everyone is praising Cavallini and going after Larin is crazy. Cavallini is a good player and I'm so happy he's playing. But Cavallini hasn't scored a single goal and he has only  played 7 games for Canada has a Sr. member because he left the program and just because he had a good gold cup he's the number one striker? He didn't even score a single goal ! 

I don't see anywhere where BrennanFan wrote anything about Cavallini. He remarked that the problem with Larin wasn't so much what he had or had not done on the field, but that he was burdened by the expectations placed upon him. Seems that you flipped out and went off on a tangent to me...

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The question mark over Larin moving forward, is if he is going to be as effective when Kaka isn't around. It's easier to look good and score goals when you have a player like that doing the more difficult part for you.

I just found the numbers for you. Of Larin's 12 goals in MLS this season, 9 of them were scored without Kaka on the field, 3 of them with Kaka on the field. Kaka wasn't credited with an assist for any of Larin's goals this season (not saying he couldn't have had a part to play in any of the 3 goals that Larin scored with him on the field).

Whether Canada has the players needed to help Larin thrive is not clear, but it's definitely not all about Kaka in Orlando for Larin.

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Hasn't fulfilled the Hype ?!?! are you guys serious. It's like he has to be scoring on a messi level to make you people happy! 

Just basic stats/facts

Age - 22

Orlando city - Apps ( 86 ) Goals ( 43 )

There are roughly 30 Canadian players in the MLS this season - Larin has the most goals out of all of them this season with 12.

Out of 30 Canadian Players in MLS how many have been reported being scouted by huge clubs in Europe- 3 - Larin is one of them

Canada Sr. - Apps ( 23 ) Goals ( 5) 

Note * 

Who was Canada's Manager  during  of majority game-  defensive Ass Clown Floro

Canada - one striker

Orlando City - 2 strikers and Kaka

Canadian players have never been an  offensive juggernaut, Dwayne De Rosario App - 81 Goals - 22. There're a lot of reason for this, my personal belief is because of the style we have played. Holger Osieck defensive manger , Floro defensive manger and the  rotation of amateur mangers in between. 

Larin vs  El Salvador in the WQC game in Vancouver, he gets a goal and could have 2-3 more and they finally moved into a 4-4-2.  El Salvador couldn't contain him and he didn't even play the full game!

Now, European clubs are scouting Larin why cuz he's a really good YOUNG player. He has only played 3 games with Oz and his system,  which is totally different than what Canada has played in the past and what he plays in Orlando. Cyle is going to score simple has that and he's going to get better. 

I would like to remind all the Larin haters and the ones that are saying Cavallini should be starting, I love Cavallini and I want both of them to play together. Cavallini has played 7 games for Canada and has 0 goals. Larin Scored his first goal in his 5th game for Canada  against Puerto Rico. 

Strikers don't have to score to consider themselves productive, have you ever heard of a defensive striker? When Cavallini played for us he has performed way better than a majority of the times Larin has. Larin has missed a numerous amount of sitters for Canada that cannot be blamed on having 2 up front (although i do believe having him and Cavallini would benefit each other up top). Yes Larin is fulfilling the hype at club level, but at International level he has been mediocre at best