Cyle Larin

shermanator

I hope Larin goes to a middle of pack/smaller  English Premier league team. Burnley, Watford FC, Crystal Palace, Stoke City etc. He would get some playing time to show what he can do and develop, but not be the main guy right away, it's gonna take time to get use to European football. If he went to EPL Canadians fans would still follow him and watch, I worry if he goes to Turkey he'll get lost just like Hutch has. 

Also I can see Dom and Larin playing together and OC is taking a run at the  Cup. Rivas takes way to many shots that don't hit the net. He's fast as hell but can't finish. 20 games and 4 goals.

I wish Canada took Larin and some young MLS guys like chapman, Crépeau, Osorio, Hamilton, Davies and Cavallini etc to Scotland or I hope soon in the future they play some European teams in Europe. So European teams can really take a look at them and give the players some  exposure. 

Edited by SpecialK

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wish Canada took Larin and some young MLS guys like chapman, Crépeau, Osorio, Hamilton, Davies and Cavallini etc to Scotland or I hope soon in the future they play some European teams in Europe. So European teams can really take a look at them and give the players some  exposure. 

The Scottish League is pretty poor. Unless they are playing for Rangers or Celtic, I'd rather them play in MLS. Look at what happened to Perry Kitchen. Moved to Hearts from DC United to lobby for a Championship move, became their captain in 3 months and got no offers from England. He just moved to the Danish top division after Hearts became a dead end.

The best countries for North Americans in Europe remain Germany and Portugal, even if you need to start in the second division. 

22 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The Scottish League is pretty poor. Unless they are playing for Rangers or Celtic, I'd rather them play in MLS. Look at what happened to Perry Kitchen. Moved to Hearts from DC United to lobby for a Championship move, became their captain in 3 months and got no offers from England. He just moved to the Danish top division after Hearts became a dead end.

The best countries for North Americans in Europe remain Germany and Portugal, even if you need to start in the second division. 

Sorry I  meant when they played Scotland in Scotland. If they played well and say Larin scored a few goals or whatever and won, it would have turn some heads. Scotland was in the middle of WCQ, they put out a pretty good squad. 

Edited by SpecialK

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sorry I might when they played Scotland in Scotland. If they played well and say Larin scored a few goals or whatever and won, it would have turn some heads. Scotland was in the middle of WCQ, they put out a pretty good squad. 

Ah gotcha.

6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

This tweet and the tweet chain following it exposes one of my biggest issues with MLS. Olimpiakos bid $3 million for Dwyer last year, yet here he is being traded for $1.6 million. Why? SKC is actually better off accepting this deal.

Here's what happens if SKC accepts the $3 million offer from Olimpiakos:

-The league gets 33% of the transfer fee. $1 million in this case.

-Of the remaining $2 million, none of it is eligible to be used as TAM or GAM, and since MLS pays the players, that $2 million can only be used administratively or on a DP. Except that if you use it on a DP, you lose $480,625 in cap space, TAM or GAM, and if you use the money on admin you lose a bunch of money to taxes. 

So in total SKC gets $2 million net, or $1.5 net if the money is spent on a DP with a potential lose of limited GAM/TAM resources. Maybe $1.5 million of net value.

Here's what happened in the trade:

-SKC gets $1.6 million. 900k in TAM/GAM this season and 700k next.

-That money can literally be spent anywhere on the roster. Have a player that you need to move above the max salary threshold to keep? Done. Want to pay down a DP? Done. Want to sign 2-3 players for 500k each? Easy.

-SKC can spend up to $1.6 million on a player and not use up a DP slot (which they can still use...or not and have an extra 400k on the salary cap.

So in total SKC gets $1.6 million net of the most useful currency in MLS, that is estimated at nearly double the worth of regular DP money. At least $2.5 million in net value. 

Incorrect

You can get allocation money from transfer fee. Can't remember what the value is but something like up to 600k.

8 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

This tweet and the tweet chain following it exposes one of my biggest issues with MLS. Olimpiakos bid $3 million for Dwyer last year, yet here he is being traded for $1.6 million. Why? SKC is actually better off accepting this deal.

Here's what happens if SKC accepts the $3 million offer from Olimpiakos:

-The league gets 33% of the transfer fee. $1 million in this case.

-Of the remaining $2 million, none of it is eligible to be used as TAM or GAM, and since MLS pays the players, that $2 million can only be used administratively or on a DP. Except that if you use it on a DP, you lose $480,625 in cap space, TAM or GAM, and if you use the money on admin you lose a bunch of money to taxes. 

So in total SKC gets $2 million net, or $1.5 net if the money is spent on a DP with a potential lose of limited GAM/TAM resources. Maybe $1.5 million of net value.

Here's what happened in the trade:

-SKC gets $1.6 million. 900k in TAM/GAM this season and 700k next.

-That money can literally be spent anywhere on the roster. Have a player that you need to move above the max salary threshold to keep? Done. Want to pay down a DP? Done. Want to sign 2-3 players for 500k each? Easy.

-SKC can spend up to $1.6 million on a player and not use up a DP slot (which they can still use...or not and have an extra 400k on the salary cap.

So in total SKC gets $1.6 million net of the most useful currency in MLS, that is estimated at nearly double the worth of regular DP money. At least $2.5 million in net value. 

Have to say, harrycoster, I don't even want to know how you can be so clear on this stuff. But do appreciate it being laid out so clearly. I have decided, as a matter of principle, to never learn the MLS roster and signing rules.

56 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Honestly, I would not be against a move to Besiktas for Larin. He has Hutchinson to help him with the transition. Champions League football, plus the Turkish league is not an insurmountable leap in quality from MLS.

I thought Hutch is been  pursued by Vancouver, for like 5 million dollars? 

I was actually trying to read some Besiktas news today, as they are in preseason in the south of Spain, tying a 2nd tier team Valladolid, and I cannot figure out if they are needing firepower up front. Hutch did not play.

They have Tosun who has a few years left on a contract, scored 20 in the league last year and is still young, German born Turk. Then there was Aboubakar, on loan from Porto, scored a dozen in the league, but I can-t see if he is going back to Portugal or staying. Then they have Talisca who they signed from Benfica, scored over a dozen, still very young like 23, he'll stay for sure. If they are looking to cover for losing Aboubakar, then Larin could make sense. 

They have also been rumoured to be looking at Negredo, and even Diego Costa came up earlier in the month. They have Babel and Quaresma as attackers from the back and wings as well. 

They bought Pepe from Real Madrid this year, strong acquisition for the back. From what I saw in their Champions campaign last year, their problem was not goals, it was keeping games under control, they play very wildly and don't manage results very well. Like strong teams in leagues with only 4-5 strong teams similar, their seasons come down to overcoming those direct rivals, then getting out of a group stage in Champions into the knockout rounds, which has to be their goal this year.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was actually trying to read some Besiktas news today, as they are in preseason in the south of Spain, tying a 2nd tier team Valladolid, and I cannot figure out if they are needing firepower up front. Hutch did not play.

They have Tosun who has a few years left on a contract, scored 20 in the league last year and is still young, German born Turk. Then there was Aboubakar, on loan from Porto, scored a dozen in the league, but I can-t see if he is going back to Portugal or staying. Then they have Talisca who they signed from Benfica, scored over a dozen, still very young like 23, he'll stay for sure. If they are looking to cover for losing Aboubakar, then Larin could make sense. 

They have also been rumoured to be looking at Negredo, and even Diego Costa came up earlier in the month. They have Babel and Quaresma as attackers from the back and wings as well. 

They bought Pepe from Real Madrid this year, strong acquisition for the back. From what I saw in their Champions campaign last year, their problem was not goals, it was keeping games under control, they play very wildly and don't manage results very well. Like strong teams in leagues with only 4-5 strong teams similar, their seasons come down to overcoming those direct rivals, then getting out of a group stage in Champions into the knockout rounds, which has to be their goal this year.

It seems he was on loan from FC Porto for only one year..

Also Talisca is considered an attacking mid...I'm not sure he would directly challenge Larin's position.

Either way at best Larin would be challenging for 2nd choice behind Tosun...this is probably a depth move by Besiktas with Larin seeing a lot of time on the bench...

45 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It seems he was on loan from FC Porto for only one year..

Also Talisca is considered an attacking mid...I'm not sure he would directly challenge Larin's position.

Either way at best Larin would be challenging for 2nd choice behind Tosun...this is probably a depth move by Besiktas with Larin seeing a lot of time on the bench...

Agreed. But any move to Europe is going to be a depth move. He's not going to be handed a starting spot at any team who is seriously in the running. He doesn't have enough pedigree. 

46 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Agreed. But any move to Europe is going to be a depth move. He's not going to be handed a starting spot at any team who is seriously in the running. He doesn't have enough pedigree. 

Right but Beskitas isn't a middle/low table team..it's been at the very top. I know it's Turkey but still.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Which is the advantage of them being a top team in Turkey and playing Champions League football, it means Besiktas is going to have so many fixtures that Larin is bound to get a few starts here and there on top of coming off the bench regularly, assuming he does end up being their second choice striker.

Just to comment on Larin, age and depth: Besiktas has a large group of young players they sign, they go for young ones as they clearly think they can develop successfully, and then sell for income, I imagine. For example, I see they just signed Talisca's younger brother. So he'd be there amongst other younger players in a big roster, and definitely, would have to fight for minutes. 

Thing is, as with going to any of the big three in Portugal, or even Holland or Belgium, there are teams that are notably inferior that you can play some of your less experienced players against, give them minutes. You are up 3-0 with enough frequency in the league that there is margin to sub in guys for 25 minutes, there is no risk to do so. Rarely (or not too often) do any of Fenerbace, Galatasary or Besiktas lose a league because they screwed up with really modest sides, it usually comes down to their results vs direct rivals. 

15 hours ago, shermanator said:

Honestly, I would not be against a move to Besiktas for Larin. He has Hutchinson to help him with the transition. Champions League football, plus the Turkish league is not an insurmountable leap in quality from MLS.

Besiktas is probably one of the best places he could go. As you said the Turkish League is one that he could get time in and show his quality. No matter what league Larin goes to, if it is better than the MLS, he will not get a starting spot right away. And that is a good thing!! Watching Larin play for Canada against Jamaca just made me realize just how much he needs to improve if he wants to be a top quality striker. Of course he still is Canada's best but he has potential to be more than just Canada's best. He needs a challenge and there is no better place to do it than Besiktas. If he gains a starting spot he can earn some Champions league time and maybe attract attention from one of the big 4 leagues. But there is no way Larin could just make the jump to those leagues right away. If he moves to Besiktas he has the chance to develop into a star against good defenders, not just the MLS defenders.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then they have Talisca who they signed from Benfica, scored over a dozen, still very young like 23, he'll stay for sure. If they are looking to cover for losing Aboubakar, then Larin could make sense. 

Talisca is an AM as someone else has mentioned.  But actually, he's about to start the second season of a 2 year loan. (from Benfica)   There have been rumors that a lot of big name clubs have been keeping a close eye on him, in order to eventually sign him a year from now.  So undoubtedly, Larin playing for Betsikas would be quite the potential shop window to show his talents for all of Europe.

Lucas Cavallini: 7 games - 0 goals

Cyle Larin: 21 games. If we break that out into 7 game stretches...
First 7 games - 3 goals
Games 8 through 14 - 1 goal
Last 7 games - 1 goal

Cyle Larin has never gone more than 5 games straight without a goal. Longest stretches are 5 games twice, and 4 times once. Current streak is 2 games.