Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 minute ago, farrelld said:

I didn't know about the pay raise. However, I still think you take the option if your Orlando.

Of course Orlando are going to pick up the options. The speculation is that Larin and the club he signs with in the next window will contest the legality of those options and try to move on a free transfer.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Of course Orlando are going to pick up the options. The speculation is that Larin and the club he signs with in the next window will contest the legality of those options and try to move on a free transfer.

From what I understand, Orlando would pick up the first option year and waive their right to the second (meaning that he would be under contract until 2019 on a one-year deal) before a transfer were made official. That means that, while the team option contract model could be challenged in the CAS or FRC, the case wouldn't effect Larin. He could of course refuse to sign the new contract, but Orlando would surely make him sign before agreeing to a transfer.

Basically, if a team interested in Larin were to question the legality of the team option, they'd be doing it now...before Larin signs the team option (and they might be, who knows). I've asked around about the legality of team options under FIFA guidelines, and from what I've been told the case against them would need to be predicated on the argument that the player(s) is being unfairly compensated due to the format of the contract. That's a hard case to make given both player and team options have been endorsed by the MLSPU. 

Edited by harrycoyster

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

From what I understand, Orlando would pick up the first option year and waive their right to the second (meaning that he would be under contract until 2019 on a one-year deal) before a transfer were made official. That means that, while the team option contract model could be challenged in the CAS or FRC, the case wouldn't effect Larin. He could of course refuse to sign the new contract, but Orlando would surely make him sign before agreeing to a transfer.

Basically, if a team interested in Larin were to question the legality of the team option, they'd be doing it now...before Larin signs the team option (and they might be, who knows). I've asked around about the legality of team options under FIFA guidelines, and from what I've been told the case against them would need to be predicated on the argument that the player(s) is being unfairly compensated due to the format of the contract. That's a hard case to make given both player and team options have been endorsed by the MLSPU. 

According to the Turkish CNN link Matty posted a couple of months ago it appears Larin has already agreed to terms with Besiktas and in fact may have already signed a contract (teams can sign players playing out of country six months prior to the expiry of their contract) dated for the opening day of the Turkish signing window.

The entry-level contract Larin signed 3 years ago would have included the option years already so he is not signing anything new at this point (he already signed then), it is strictly in Orlando's hands in terms of decision making and paperwork.

Edited by jpg75

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The entry-level contract Larin signed 3 years ago would have included the option years already so he is not signing anything new at this point (he already signed then), it is strictly in Orlando's hands in terms of decision making and paperwork.

I'm under the impression that Orlando and Larin still need to agree to the terms of the option years, as the compensation for those years aren't set in stone. Perry Kitchen left DC United for the Scotland a few years back after he and the team couldn't agree to terms on his team option years.

Wish that MLS was more transparent as to how the contracts work. 

11 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I'm under the impression that Orlando and Larin still need to agree to the terms of the option years, as the compensation for those years aren't set in stone.

If that's the case then that's not technically a club opition. 

19 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

If that's the case then that's not technically a club opition. 

It still technically is because the team can guarantee the services of the player by meeting a certain compensation threshold. Yet, as was the case with Kitchen, the team is allowed to negotiate a salary lower than the maximum compensation threshold. DC United wanted Kitchen back, just not at the salary they'd need to pay to fulfill the team option regardless of the player's demands.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:30 PM, farrelld said:

I didn't know about the pay raise. However, I still think you take the option if your Orlando.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:13 PM, harrycoyster said:

I'm under the impression that Orlando and Larin still need to agree to the terms of the option years, as the compensation for those years aren't set in stone. Perry Kitchen left DC United for the Scotland a few years back after he and the team couldn't agree to terms on his team option years.

Wish that MLS was more transparent as to how the contracts work. 

Yeah, I get the feeling he's planning on walking Camilo style. In which case it gets messy for all parties involved. In the Camilo case both parties eventually agreed to a transfer fee. I think the MLS would have a strong incentive to avoid getting it's (very opaque) system of contracts and club options and lack of true free agency debated in an actual court (or FIFA adjudication process). If Orland was asking too high a price tag for him, perhaps Baskitas thinks signing him, and letting the chips fall where they may is worth the risk.

3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Yeah, I get the feeling he's planning on walking Camilo style. In which case it gets messy for all parties involved. In the Camilo case both parties eventually agreed to a transfer fee. I think the MLS would have a strong incentive to avoid getting it's (very opaque) system of contracts and club options and lack of true free agency debated in an actual court (or FIFA adjudication process). If Orland was asking too high a price tag for him, perhaps Baskitas thinks signing him, and letting the chips fall where they may is worth the risk.

He won't, because the Federation could withhold the international transfer certificate then  Larin would be sitting, and sitting, and sitting until it is sorted out. In no ones interest, least of all the player.

On 30/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, harrycoyster said:

It still technically is because the team can guarantee the services of the player by meeting a certain compensation threshold. Yet, as was the case with Kitchen, the team is allowed to negotiate a salary lower than the maximum compensation threshold. DC United wanted Kitchen back, just not at the salary they'd need to pay to fulfill the team option regardless of the player's demands.

This is probably why MLS is losing players. A true club option in every other NA major sport spells out the level of compensation for option years at the time the contract is drawn up and it may even have a buy out included as well. If you're negotiating salary half way through a "contract" that gives the appearance of restricted free agency.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

If you're negotiating salary half way through a "contract" that gives the appearance of restricted free agency.

It's actually worse than restricted free agency, as if the player doesn't accept the terms of the contract he isn't allowed to sign with another team in MLS. By offering to exercise the team option at any rate the team maintains the player's MLS rights.

With a weird translation of the Turkish, for what it is worth, from Oct 19:

https://www.futbolunkalbi.com/besiktas-cyle-larin-transferi-icin-girisimlere-basladi/

Besiktas will continue to struggle this season, 3 strikes 
continue to seek striker.

Besiktas, which has started initiatives to 
hire Alvaro Negredo for free, found Negredo's 
alternative in the US.

Besiktas management, the end of the season 
to conclude the contract for the Canadian star 
Cyle Larin began meeting with his club Orlando City.

3 seasons Orlando City formate Cyle Larin in the 
Orlando City form in 2015, 27 games in 18 games, 
in 2016, 33 games in 14 games, and 2017 in 18 games 
and 8 goals.

Cyle Larin, with a contract fee of 3.5 million euros, 
will conclude his contract with Orlando City on 
December 31, 2017.

Bu sezon 3 kulvarda mücadele edecek olan Beşiktaş’ta forvet arayışı devam ediyor.

Alvaro Negredo’yu bedelsiz kiralamak için girişimlere başlayan Beşiktaş, Negredo’nun alternatifini ABD’de buldu.

Beşiktaş yönetimi, sezon sonunda sözleşmesi bitecek olan Kanadalı yıldız Cyle Larin için kulübü Orlando City ile görüşmelere başladı.

3 sezondur Orlando City forması giyen Cyle Larin 2015 yılında Orlando City formasıyla 27 maçta 18 gol, 2016 yılında 33 maçta 14 gol ve 2017 yılında ise 18 maçta 8 gol attı.

3.5 milyon euro bonservis bedeli bulunan Cyle Larin, Orlando City ile sözleşmesi 31 Aralık 2017’de sona erecek.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With a weird translation of the Turkish, for what it is worth, from Oct 19:

https://www.futbolunkalbi.com/besiktas-cyle-larin-transferi-icin-girisimlere-basladi/

Besiktas will continue to struggle this season, 3 strikes 
continue to seek striker.

Besiktas, which has started initiatives to 
hire Alvaro Negredo for free, found Negredo's 
alternative in the US.

Besiktas management, the end of the season 
to conclude the contract for the Canadian star 
Cyle Larin began meeting with his club Orlando City.

3 seasons Orlando City formate Cyle Larin in the 
Orlando City form in 2015, 27 games in 18 games, 
in 2016, 33 games in 14 games, and 2017 in 18 games 
and 8 goals.

Cyle Larin, with a contract fee of 3.5 million euros, 
will conclude his contract with Orlando City on 
December 31, 2017.

Bu sezon 3 kulvarda mücadele edecek olan Beşiktaş’ta forvet arayışı devam ediyor.

Alvaro Negredo’yu bedelsiz kiralamak için girişimlere başlayan Beşiktaş, Negredo’nun alternatifini ABD’de buldu.

Beşiktaş yönetimi, sezon sonunda sözleşmesi bitecek olan Kanadalı yıldız Cyle Larin için kulübü Orlando City ile görüşmelere başladı.

3 sezondur Orlando City forması giyen Cyle Larin 2015 yılında Orlando City formasıyla 27 maçta 18 gol, 2016 yılında 33 maçta 14 gol ve 2017 yılında ise 18 maçta 8 gol attı.

3.5 milyon euro bonservis bedeli bulunan Cyle Larin, Orlando City ile sözleşmesi 31 Aralık 2017’de sona erecek.

I see some of you really liked the part about 27 games in 18 games, I did too.

Just now, Obinna said:

So this means a transfer fee must be paid?

I think if Larin and his agent bring this to FIFA then this will be used as an argument by Orlando that a fee is owed. I am interested to see how this turns out. Let's hope Larin doesn't leave the MLS with bad blood, as he may need to return if he is not as successful in Europe as he hopes.

• 2 weeks later...