Cyle Larin

shermanator

9 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Definitely seems its heading that way.

Larin: "My contract is ending this season"

Orlando GM Budalic: "He's under contract for two more years"

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/cyle-larin-its-the-right-time-to-go-to-europe/1qqjcbl4ek18d12mgxocz301gr

I am going to guess that means Larin's contract includes an option year.  So he has one more year (i.e. his contract ending this season - not has ended), and then an optional year.  Question becomes, what are the terms of the second year?  Does Orlando have a unilateral pick-up (which I would not be surprised considering Larin is young), or is the option by mutual consent.

21 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I am going to guess that means Larin's contract includes an option year.  So he has one more year (i.e. his contract ending this season - not has ended), and then an optional year.  Question becomes, what are the terms of the second year?  Does Orlando have a unilateral pick-up (which I would not be surprised considering Larin is young), or is the option by mutual consent.

He has 2 unilateral club option years starting Jan 2018.  This type of club options have been disputed with FIFA before.

Its been reported that Besiktas considers Cyle to be available on a free transfer in January.  According to his quote, it looks like Cyle agrees with that view.

6 hours ago, Brethers8 said:

Everton would be interesting, seeing as they are sucking and could use some goals. Leeds, no. Mainly cause I don't like them but also because I think they're going to do an Ipswich and stay in mediocrity forever. Besiktas would be nice but think he'd too easily get lost in the shuffle there. Who knows! Germany would be a good spot for him, there or Belgium

Would he be  eligible to go to Everton because of the work permit issues with International players ?

55 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Would he be  eligible to go to Everton because of the work permit issues with International players ?

Assuming he can, he would be under too much pressure to fill Lukaku's boots. Everton is also struggling right now. Would rather see him move to Besiktas. They are playing some great attacking football in Champions League with Talisca, Babel, Tosun and Quaresma all in fine form . Negredo is not doing much when he subs on, so Larin may be able to nudge him out for domestic league minutes. It would give him an opportunity to transition from MLS and upgrade his game training and learning from some great veteran players, including Hutch, 

56 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Assuming he can, he would be under too much pressure to fill Lukaku's boots. Everton is also struggling right now. Would rather see him move to Besiktas. They are playing some great attacking football in Champions League with Talisca, Babel, Tosun and Quaresma all in fine form . Negredo is not doing much when he subs on, so Larin may be able to nudge him out for domestic league minutes. It would give him an opportunity to transition from MLS and upgrade his game training and learning from some great veteran players, including Hutch, 

If we a have concern that he is not at the level to earn a spot at a club like Everton, then is a move to Europe really the right move?

ps.:  when I asking this question I am thinking of Cdn soccer and as a supporter.  Not from the perspective of his financial advisor

Edited by Free kick

Optional years which are a unilateral decision on part of the club are a dumb concept. In real life, forcing a player to play for you this way is a recipe for disaster, and clubs know that. He clearly doesnt want to stay at OCSC, he's leaving next transfer window.

I'm all for a Besiktas move.

Larin needs to go to the highest level club possible. End of story. I would love for Everton to take him. Even if it doesn't work out for him in the long run, the fact that a Premier League club signed him will give him more value when being looked at by other clubs, than if he scores 10 goals in Turkey,  or some other lower level league/division in Europe.

Edited by Wingback6

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

I think MLS is going to end up looking bad again on this one if they don't just let him go. Camilo has already done this so there is a standard already set regarding these team option years. Fifa doesn't consider them valid, correct?

Its not that black and white.  There would be several factors that the tribunal would consider before rendering the remaining option years invalid. One important factor is whether the player is getting raises per option year and whether he is being compensated fairly for his market value.  Of course, Larin is currently getting absolutely hosed in this regard, even just compared to MLS 10+ goal scorers, theyre all at the league max $400,000+ or are DPs, Larin is getting badly screwed on his current 150K contract, another 2 years on that money in the prime of his career would be highway robbery. 

The thing is, an interested club would have to sign Larin knowing they'd have a fight on their hands from MLS at the FIFA tribunals, and if they lost the club could get severely sanctioned.  On the otherhand they could get a great player on a free transfer.

Edited by BrennanFan

I hope he moves to Europe. I agree with who posted before about moving to the biggest club possible. Even if he doesn't turn out, he was signed by a Premier League team and should have no problems moving to the 2nd div and even the top tier in the Netherlands (which i think would suit him) or Belgium. 

OR he turns out to be great for Everton (just using them as an example) and does well in the PL. 

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

As far I'm concerned if he thinks that it's the best move for him, then go for it and I hope it goes well for him personally and for his development as a player.  I'm sure he and his people know a lot more than I do lol

While this is kind of stating the obvious (no offense) it has always been my position as well.  The player knows the opportunities they have, the implications of all of them, all of the sporting/financial/family considerations in play, etc.  The idea that we can armchair pontificate that they are making a terrible mistake by choosing AC Sporting FC United is pretty laughable.  It is like people second guessing Piette's move to the Impact a while back.  How the hell could we possibly know what is right for him based on a few media articles better than he does.

Let's just hope that wherever he ends up that he gets some significant playing time in a league that is above the quality of MLS.  In the end it can only help him and the CMNT.  Unless he goes and completely flops, at which point the CMNT can focus on AJH and Cavallini.  I figured for the past few years he would be the saviour for our team but pretty soon he will need to demonstrate his skill wearing our red and this proposed move to Europe will either turn him into the striker we need or allow us to focus on the other two guys up front.

41 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Let's just hope that wherever he ends up that he gets some significant playing time in a league that is above the quality of MLS.  In the end it can only help him and the CMNT.  Unless he goes and completely flops, at which point the CMNT can focus on AJH and Cavallini.  I figured for the past few years he would be the saviour for our team but pretty soon he will need to demonstrate his skill wearing our red and this proposed move to Europe will either turn him into the striker we need or allow us to focus on the other two guys up front.

He will still be around to play for Canada and so will be part of the battle to play striker for CMNT. Who knows where he goes and how he does... we can only hope that it is for the best and with him in Europe he will be practicing against even better defenders well depends where he goes. Can't wait to see what happens in January....

8 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Larin needs to go to the highest level club possible. End of story. I would love for Everton to take him. Even if it doesn't work out for him in the long run, the fact that a Premier League club signed him will give him more value when being looked at by other clubs, than if he scores 10 goals in Turkey,  or some other lower level league/division in Europe.

So you would rather have him rotting on the bench at a "top team" them him playing at a "lower league " team...

6 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

I hope he moves to Europe. I agree with who posted before about moving to the biggest club possible. Even if he doesn't turn out, he was signed by a Premier League team and should have no problems moving to the 2nd div and even the top tier in the Netherlands (which i think would suit him) or Belgium. 

OR he turns out to be great for Everton (just using them as an example) and does well in the PL. 

I heard moving to the biggest club possible did wonders for Renato Sanches, Kovacic, Anderson, Scott Sinclair, etc.

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

So you would rather have him rotting on the bench at a "top team" them him playing at a "lower league " team...

Yes.  Because you could make a case that going to a lower league is also rotting away. 

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

If he flops in a good European league, the CMNT will not drop him. This constant idea that he's done because of AJH and Cavallini is really getting old. The CMNT will go to who produces when needed and so far it's hard to say any of them can claim that other Larin, who is currently out of form with the MNT but still seems to interest big clubs and reportedly has the confidence of Hutch to the point Hutch is pitching him hard in Turkey.

We've got option which is great but the idea we're going to dump one of them because he didn't make it in Europe is idiotic.

Edited by matty

8 hours ago, canta15 said:

I heard moving to the biggest club possible did wonders for Renato Sanches, Kovacic, Anderson, Scott Sinclair, etc.

All of those players you mentioned will have no problems getting more opportunities because of what they have on their resume. I think we can all agree on that.