Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

if Andrea Petagna of Atalanta can play in Serie A, Cyle Larin can play in Serie A.

An Italian who played for every one of their youth teams and has a cap for the national team...

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Larin is a long way from the level and experience you need to play on any of the major leagues in Europe. I am thinking of the weakest team on paper in Spain this year, Girona. They have a player who went down with Boro last year, Stuani, and Kayode, who scored 17 in Austria this year and is on loan from Man City. Larin has no such pedigree, however modest, not yet. He needs to go to a lesser league, score 15, and then move up. 

I agree and want to add it is concerning he hasn't developed much since his first year. We are in year 3 now and sure he is scoring consistently, but there are things in his game that need to improve and they haven't. There is a level between MLS and the top 5 leagues and he needs to play there and excel there before he tries his hand in the Bundesliga or elsewhere of a similar level

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

An Italian who played for every one of their youth teams and has a cap for the national team...

Have you seen him play? Well if you haven't you should just. Also look at his stats and compare that to Cyle. Oh wait I know you won't so here I'll help you out. 

Also that game that he played for Italy... it was a friendly vs the Dutch and he was a sub.

IMG_0065.PNG

IMG_0067.PNG

Edited by SpecialK

@matty Yes I think a move to the Belgium league would be nice...

I don't quite get some posters mentioning that Larin should not go to a top 5 league. He's not qualified for top teams, but a mid table team or even relegation threaten team, I due think he can hang with those players in Bundeliga. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Have you seen him play? Well if you haven't you should just. Also look at his stats and compare that to Cyle. Oh wait I know you won't so here I'll help you out. 

Also that game that he played for Italy... it was a friendly vs the Dutch and he was a sub.

IMG_0065.PNG

IMG_0067.PNG

But at the same time Serie A is a higher quality. In Giovinco's last 3 seasons in the Serie A:

2012/2013: 42 games, 11 goals

2013/2014: 30 games 3 goals

2014/2015: 11 games, 2 goals.

He came over to the MLS and posted these stats.

2015: 35 games 23 goals

2016: 37 games 22 goals

2017: 24 games 16 goals (season isn't over)

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

But at the same time Serie A is a higher quality. In Giovinco's last 3 seasons in the Serie A:

2012/2013: 42 games, 11 goals

2013/2014: 30 games 3 goals

2014/2015: 11 games, 2 goals.

He came over to the MLS and posted these stats.

2015: 35 games 23 goals

2016: 37 games 22 goals

2017: 24 games 16 goals (season isn't over)

Oh it would be harder for Larin in Serie A then MLS for sure. But comparing Giovinco to Larin,  is comparing apples to oranges.  There  are totally different players, style,  body type, the way they score goals and play the game. Also the age, Larin is only 22-23 years old. Giovinco is 30

also some people will say oh he been struggling on the national team so that means he's not ready for Europe I totally disagree. I truly believe he hasn't been used properly on the national team. For example the game against El Salvador they  finally went to a two striker approach and he's  dominate and scores a goal.  Larin  struggles when he's all by himself at the top. 

On 8/26/2017 at 11:39 PM, SpecialK said:

IMG_0065.PNG

IMG_0067.PNG

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

@matty Yes I think a move to the Belgium league would be nice...

I don't quite get some posters mentioning that Larin should not go to a top 5 league. He's not qualified for top teams, but a mid table team or even relegation threaten team, I due think he can hang with those players in Bundeliga. 

I think it's a matter of who can afford him at this point. If we're hearing clubs like Genk and Besiktas don't wanna spend what Orlando is asking then we might just see him move into a top 5 or 6 league.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Scored a nice goal for Orlando, quality header. Missed a couple others, soft foot, header wide. At least he is dangerous and positions himself well. Orlando a very one-dimensional team this year. 

Not helped by Dom Dwyer not looking like the greatest acquisition so far......

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, matty said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/643742/Leeds-United-Transfer-News-Cyle-Larin-Orlando-City-Gossip

Daily Star is a shit source but I finally get to make an Amanda Palmer reference

They claim is a 2m(GBP) offer and Besiktas is still interested in him

36 minutes ago, matty said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/643742/Leeds-United-Transfer-News-Cyle-Larin-Orlando-City-Gossip

Daily Star is a shit source but I finally get to make an Amanda Palmer reference

They claim is a 2m(GBP) offer and Besiktas is still interested in him

I think a move to Leeds would a great move. I saw them play in Leeds this August and they are a very good team -- finally on the path to the Premiership. This would give Larin a good opportunity and he would get great exposure plus with any luck he'd be promoted next year. 

42 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I think a move to Leeds would a great move. I saw them play in Leeds this August and they are a very good team -- finally on the path to the Premiership. This would give Larin a good opportunity and he would get great exposure plus with any luck he'd be promoted next year. 

I think leeds (or most strong EFLC teams) would be a good move that would help him ease into euro ball.

It's interesting to see Besiktas are still in the picture. They're likely the front runners for him. It also makes you wonder if they (and likely Atiba, who I'm gonna guess is pushing for him) see something that people here are not.

14 hours ago, Keegan said:

Both would be great moves, both are big clubs looking to take another step with massive support.  

Leeds recently sold their top striker Chris Wood.  Larin would be a good replacement for him and long term possibly a better player. 

And Besiktas has signed Negredo, who is not old but ageing (32), and clearly indicates the kind of striker they feel they need to be successful, big physical presence. Negredo hasn't scored ten league goals in a season since 2013. They paid 2.5 million to get him. So Larin would be a perfect understudy there, agreed.

44 minutes ago, Marc said:

Chris Wood's success has been pretty recent.  I wouldn't turn down a Chris Wood, but he's only been scoring regularly in the last few years.

He had a great season last year, I watched a bunch of matches as my roommate was a die hard Leeds supporter.  He is a good striker but nothing that jumps off the page, despite my friend claiming all year that he's better than Giovinco.

It's not like I'm claiming he's gonna be the next Lukaku.  I'm saying he could possibly reach Wood's level it is attainable definitely and I think Larin's more of a specimen out there already. 

Before last season Chris Wood was a championship striker, so not a shocking leap. Larin is still 4 years younger and has scored more league goals than Wood did at his age.  Larin is the best striker prospect to come out of MLS since McBride, I think Wood's level should be the minimum goal or else MLS really is producing bare average players.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

He had a great season last year, I watched a bunch of matches as my roommate was a die hard Leeds supporter.  He is a good striker but nothing that jumps off the page, despite my friend claiming all year that he's better than Giovinco.

It's not like I'm claiming he's gonna be the next Lukaku.  I'm saying he could possibly reach Wood's level it is attainable definitely and I think Larin's more of a specimen out there already. 

Before last season Chris Wood was a championship striker, so not a shocking leap. Larin is still 4 years younger and has scored more league goals than Wood did at his age.  Larin is the best striker prospect to come out of MLS since McBride, I think Wood's level should be the minimum goal or else MLS really is producing bare average players.

Larin will be better than Wood. Yeah, I said it. Wood is really a championship striker, and an above average one (although he didn't play much at old Ipswich Town) but I am unsure if he can make it the premier league. I have my doubts he has the skill to be successful. Reminds me of David Healy. Great championship player but...

Larin is not as one dimensional, can hold the ball better, and I would really be surprised if he doesn't end up "better".

Edited by BCM

41 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Larin will be better than Wood. Yeah, I said it. Wood is really a championship striker, and an above average one (although he didn't play much at old Ipswich Town) but I am unsure if he can make it the premier league. I have my doubts he has the skill to be successful. Reminds me of David Healy. Great championship player but...

Larin is not as one dimensional, can hold the ball better, and I would really be surprised if he doesn't end up "better".

Admittedly I haven't seen Wood much but seems odd that he would be more one dimensional than Larin. Hard to believe that.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yeah I don't think we disagree, all I meant was if you look at Chris Wood it is possible that he has found his groove and may produce consistently, but he could also be the kind of striker that adds another 8 clubs to his lengthy resume and never scores more than 10 goals in a season ever again.

Edited by Marc

8 hours ago, Marc said:

Chris Wood's success has been pretty recent.  I wouldn't turn down a Chris Wood, but he's only been scoring regularly in the last few years.

He's also scored over 20 international goals for NZ in 50-odd appearances.

I know it's Oceania but it's not as if we don't have our share of matches against minnows.