Cyle Larin

shermanator

I liked what Cav brought to the GC, but I don't think people are "dick riding" Larin.  Maybe they are - to be honest I am not really sure what that implies.

Overall, I see a bunch of people who are impressed with the numbers he has put up in MLS fairly consistently, frustrated by the fact that he can't replicate that form for Canada, and hopeful that he can start to similarly produce for the Nats through some combination of personal growth (by moving to a more challenging league) and adoption of a team formation/philosophy that better utilizes his talents.  If that kind of grounded optimism constitutes "dick riding", then I guess you can strap me on...

1 hour ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

People need to stop dick riding cyle Larin he is shit for Canada he scored goals vs Islands but the 2 vs Honduras & El Salvador were fluke 1 was offside and the other one was deflected off his back 

and Canada plays better with cavallini then with Larin 

People need to stop dick riding Cavallini he is shit for Canada he scored....

In all serious, if our wingers are goal dangerous, then Cavallini should be starting, but they're not. You can't field a front 3 where 2 out of them are support players (Hoilett, Cavallini) and the other is a 16 year old who's been pressured to do the bulk goal scoring.

Edited by PopePouri

FourFourTwo said on their Facebook Q&A today that the bid was $3 million with a small sell-on clause. Ives Galarcep tweeted Orlando told him the bid "wasn't even close" to enough for them to sell.

Article and Galarcep also confirm that Orlando has two years of team options on Larin. Won't be available on a free until January of 2020.

Edited by harrycoyster

33 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Conundrum of being young talent that has only played in MLS: MLS teams think he's worth a lot...European teams think he is unproven.

MLS needs to start selling some of them off for what they consider not enough. Then if/when they go on to prove themselves in other leagues it will raise the value of  future young players. 

6 minutes ago, nazzer said:

MLS needs to start selling some of them off for what they consider not enough. Then if/when they go on to prove themselves in other leagues it will raise the value of  future young players. 

MLS hasn't expressed any interest in becoming a selling league. The rules are made to keep players in the league. Transfers like Yedlin's and Miazga's are the exceptions.

12 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

MLS hasn't expressed any interest in becoming a selling league. The rules are made to keep players in the league. Transfers like Yedlin's and Miazga's are the exceptions.

But they have expressed a desire to be a 'top ten league in the world". If your players only stay in your league there is no way to compare. 

31 minutes ago, nazzer said:

But they have expressed a desire to be a 'top ten league in the world". If your players only stay in your league there is no way to compare. 

No matter what MLS says, the primary short term goals of MLS are expansion and increasing media revenue. Losing marquee players to Europe helps neither, and the academies aren't good enough yet to make mid to high tier MLS players easily replaceable.

1 hour ago, nazzer said:

Several MLS players have transferred directly to EPL, Serie A, and La Liga, etc teams. How many is 'enough'? Just curious.

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Whoa! You still get credit for the goal, no matter how it goes in. Part of being a good striker is getting into good positions.

Certainly at this point Larin's strike rate for Canada is better than Cav's. But Cav seems to integrate with the rest of the team much better. I'm really hoping those two will push each other to do better for Canada.

Good positions I agree but he was offside and the ref didn't. Call it how is that good position any other refs would a flagged it and the goal vs Honduras was fluke 

2 hours ago, nazzer said:

IMO if they sell them for too little the clubs they sell them to will be less invested in them, and thus they'll be given less of a shot. 

2 hours ago, nazzer said:

That's bullshit soundbites for the media. MLS has a desire to maximize revenue and minimize costs. With an average total wage bill under $10Mil USD and some teams putting north of 20K butts in seats every 2nd week, they're doing a pretty good job of that.  

3 hours ago, nazzer said:

I don't think players moving on is the barometer of success... by that measuring stick leagues like Uruguay, Chile and Croatia would be top leagues. The truth is that you need to win continentally to be taken seriously... the Mexican league is considered the best league outside of Europe and South America because they win.  Mls is not even close to mexico and it's hilarious to see this debated year by year and then an mls team gets not just beat but thrashed and it's back to reality.  If the leagues were really close there would have been ONE convincing win over the years but the score is about 25-0.  Leagues like china want to make noise and they compete internationally. 

Anyway back to Larin. The criticism is a joke, yes I get it you're mad he doesn't put up drogba like numbers for Canada but put it in perspective.. the kid was thrust into a role as starting striker for Canada in his first pro season! But guess what? He still impressed the hell out of us against Dominica, then he had a wonder miss in the gold cup and his confidence went down the drain until one bounced in off him against Honduras.. he was 20 it's to be expected, I don't care if it was Anthony martial up there. The kid scored 4 goals in his first wcq as a 20-21 year old and hasn't scored in TWO matches for us and we have people here acting like it's the end of the world.  Funny, I've seen Jozy altidore slump waaaaaaay worse and people act like he's Lukaku still. 

The kid needs his confidence back for Canada and all it's gonna take is one strike or bounce.

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

FourFourTwo said on their Facebook Q&A today that the bid was $3 million with a small sell-on clause. Ives Galarcep tweeted Orlando told him the bid "wasn't even close" to enough for them to sell.

Article and Galarcep also confirm that Orlando has two years of team options on Larin. Won't be available on a free until January of 2020.

@Blackjack15

Looks unlikely he'll move this window.

Edited by harrycoyster

On 26/07/2017 at 2:45 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was actually trying to read some Besiktas news today, as they are in preseason in the south of Spain, tying a 2nd tier team Valladolid, and I cannot figure out if they are needing firepower up front. Hutch did not play.

They have Tosun who has a few years left on a contract, scored 20 in the league last year and is still young, German born Turk. Then there was Aboubakar, on loan from Porto, scored a dozen in the league, but I can-t see if he is going back to Portugal or staying. Then they have Talisca who they signed from Benfica, scored over a dozen, still very young like 23, he'll stay for sure. If they are looking to cover for losing Aboubakar, then Larin could make sense. 

They have also been rumoured to be looking at Negredo, and even Diego Costa came up earlier in the month. They have Babel and Quaresma as attackers from the back and wings as well. 

They bought Pepe from Real Madrid this year, strong acquisition for the back. From what I saw in their Champions campaign last year, their problem was not goals, it was keeping games under control, they play very wildly and don't manage results very well. Like strong teams in leagues with only 4-5 strong teams similar, their seasons come down to overcoming those direct rivals, then getting out of a group stage in Champions into the knockout rounds, which has to be their goal this year.

Wonder if this would lower chances of Larin moving even in the winter...

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Wonder if this would lower chances of Larin moving even in the winter...

Definitely does, since esp Negredo has a similar profile as Larin, and much more experience. He has fallen off in recent years, but I think he is still dangerous and should help them as a classic target and physically strong.