Cyle Larin

shermanator

19 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

We'd literally have to win the 2019 Gold Cup, which will be considably harder than the 2017 Gold Cup.

Unless we get the US, Mexico, Costa Rica etc sending 'A' sides to the 2019 Copa América in Brazil. Which is rumoured to be at 16 teams...

16 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Unless we get the US, Mexico, Costa Rica etc sending 'A' sides to the 2019 Copa América in Brazil. Which is rumoured to be at 16 teams...

No way Mexico and Costa Rica send A sides to the Copa America unless FIFA does away with the Confederations Cup before then.

Well there's no Confed Cup in 2019, the next one will be in 2021 (if at all), and may be the last.

The 16-team Copa in Brazil is rumoured to invite some big European teams, so it could be a showpiece tournament Mexico and the US want to test themselves in. Spain and Portugal will obviously be preferred, although for a true "Copa América" I wouldn't mind seeing the European countries with territory remaining here - France, the UK, Denmark, and the Netherlands :)

Concacaf might do what they did to Mexico for the last Copa America that fell on a Good Cup year and require them to send their best team to the Gold Cup

On 2017-08-09 at 6:18 PM, Obinna said:

If we can have a sustained period in the top 70, he'll likely qualify. That's easier said than done for us though.

I'm pretty sure there is an appeal process where players can get special exemptions if they are deemed talented enough and they don't meet those requirements. I'm not sure of the likelihood of a successful appeal but I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility. 

10 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I'm pretty sure there is an appeal process where players can get special exemptions if they are deemed talented enough and they don't meet those requirements. I'm not sure of the likelihood of a successful appeal but I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility. 

I think letters of recommendation help. Rangers just signed 2 former Mexican Internationals, and a Colombian youth international. I believe I read ( can't remember for sure) that there were a few letters sent in for the work permit process for Herrera.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I would love see Larin in Serie A

I watch the Serie A a lot and am of Italian heritage, for a player like Larin I don't feel he would suit the league very well. The EPL and German League would be a better fit for him IMO. The reason I say this is because the Serie A is a very different game to the MLS and I'm not talking about quality wise but more tactic wise. 

I heard Larin being linked with Lazio and Genoa a year ago but didn't hear much come of it. If he were to go on a scoring drought (and in Italy i'm talking about 2/3 games) the fans would write him off.

Larin is a long way from the level and experience you need to play on any of the major leagues in Europe. I am thinking of the weakest team on paper in Spain this year, Girona. They have a player who went down with Boro last year, Stuani, and Kayode, who scored 17 in Austria this year and is on loan from Man City. Larin has no such pedigree, however modest, not yet. He needs to go to a lesser league, score 15, and then move up. 

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

I watch the Serie A a lot and am of Italian heritage, for a player like Larin I don't feel he would suit the league very well. The EPL and German League would be a better fit for him IMO. The reason I say this is because the Serie A is a very different game to the MLS and I'm not talking about quality wise but more tactic wise. 

I heard Larin being linked with Lazio and Genoa a year ago but didn't hear much come of it. If he were to go on a scoring drought (and in Italy i'm talking about 2/3 games) the fans would write him off.

I can see where your coming from. I still believe  Serie A would be good for Larin,   teams have great  midfielders that can get Larin the ball in the box, they like those  tight/small passes when they are in box, Larin could use his big body to get in a good position to score. Ya for sure if would be will be a adjustment but playing with Kaka in Orlando is the perfect  preparation.

if Andrea Petagna of Atalanta can play in Serie A, Cyle Larin can play in Serie A.

Edited by SpecialK